Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times

Advertisements

While gays rightfully complain about how religion unjustly discriminates against them, don't forget women also suffer from discrimination from the same source.

Why is it okay to discriminate against women for religious reasons? - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Agreed. Honor killings, the enforced covering of the face and head, the demands that women walk behind men, subjugation and abuse of women in the name of religion is barbaric. Let alone the support of rapists and ban on education of women.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
But, but, diversity is our strength?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Not very long ago I met a young man at a business function. “Hello, I’m Amanda,” I said, sticking out my hand in greeting. He kept his arms glued to his side. “I don’t touch women,” he said.

He was, I realized belatedly, a deeply Orthodox Jew whose tradition prohibited even minor physical contact between men and women outside their families. I nodded politely and moved on. But the encounter deeply troubled me, then and now. Faced with someone who refused to shake my hand because of who I was, I defaulted to social courtesy, wishing neither to make a fuss nor disparage this young man’s religious beliefs.

We have all sorts of problems and she is upset because someone wouldn't shake her hands. I'm upset over how thin skinned she is.

Dont want to shake my hand? I care less.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:24 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Why is Amanda Bennett so self involved that she thinks what she thinks is right is more important than what someone else thinks is right?

Why do we tolerate the kind of bigotry that Amanda Bennett demonstrates?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
This article mentions Muslims twice and Jews 22 times. So I guess the writer has more of a problem with Orthodox Jews not shaking hands as opposed to things like female genital mutilation and imprisonment for being raped when referring to discrimination against women. Okay.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
This article mentions Muslims twice and Jews 22 times. So I guess the writer has more of a problem with Orthodox Jews not shaking hands as opposed to things like female genital mutilation and imprisonment for being raped when referring to discrimination against women. Okay.
I was raised in a Jewish household (am a non-practicing Jew), but the Orthodox have a lot of crazy rules, and are not too far removed from what we call "extreme Islam" in this country. I don't condone these practices under any religion, but find it funny that people get all frothed about "the Islam", but have no problems with the Orthodox Jews, or the Pentecostals, or the many other groups that do the same.

I always revert back to "forget the labels, and pay attention to the actions".

Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,658 times
While the cited news article is ragging on Jews, don't forget to mention how Muslims treat their women.

The Treatment of Women in Islam

Old 04-21-2015, 10:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I was raised in a Jewish household (am a non-practicing Jew), but the Orthodox have a lot of crazy rules, and are not too far removed from what we call "extreme Islam" in this country. I don't condone these practices under any religion, but find it funny that people get all frothed about "the Islam", but have no problems with the Orthodox Jews, or the Pentecostals, or the many other groups that do the same.

I always revert back to "forget the labels, and pay attention to the actions".
Seems to me they are far removed.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:45 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Really? Have I missed the Jewish honor killings???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies