Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
And now black hip hop artist are pushing crimes against others and cops with their music
Straight Outta Compton and F--The Police came out 26 years ago and the US crime rate actually went down since then and society didn't collapse...

One thing that's interesting is that if you talk to people often the perception is that violent crime is at an all time high, when in fact statistically it's actually been on downward slope in most places since the 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Oh, and for more stark honesty... here's Barney Frank flat out admitting the HUD mandates caused the mortgage meltdown and subsequent financial crisis:
Quote:
"Former Democratic Rep. Barney Frank, co-author of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, said in a recent forum on the crisis that the government — through its decades-long national homeownership campaign and affordable housing goals — "propelled" lenders and investors to excesses they would not have otherwise gone to in the absence of such political incentives.

Frank, former chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, made the stunning remarks at the close of a 90-minute panel discussion hosted by the American Action Forum and held earlier this month in Washington

....But soon, Frank dropped several unexpected bombshells in response to questioning by the moderator, CNBC anchor Steve Liesman.

Asked about the government's affordable housing goals compelling Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac before the crisis to devote more than half their portfolios to riskier nonprime mortgages for low-income borrowers, Frank blurted out: "No more goals, no more telling the private sector" how to invest in the housing market.

"Barney," Liesman asked, "are you suggesting that the goals of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the concept of promoting homeownership, was something that contributed to the crisis?

"Yes, it was, very much so"
FedSoc Blog

Note that the specifically mentioned HUD mandate compelling Fannie and Freddie to devote more than half their purchases to riskier nonprime mortgages for low-income/redlined area borrowers was issued during the Clinton Admin, as I just posted:
http://www.huduser.org/publications/pdf/gse.pdf

Fannie and Freddie, "the two largest sources of housing finance in the United States," were forced by Clinton-era HUD mandates to buy more than 50% high-risk loans from originators (Countrywide, etc.), subsequently repackaging them as MBS and selling them to investors worldwide without disclosing the fact that they were largely composed of HUD-mandated high-risk loans. As those high-risk loans began defaulting at critical mass, the 2008 financial crisis ensued.

The MBS (mortgage-backed securities) issued by the GSEs Fannie and Freddie (and therefore perceived to be guaranteed by the U.S. Government) and sold to U.S. investors and financial institutions, and to foreign investors, financial institutions, and governments as investments are the "assets" Rep. Sherman was talking about when he warned the U.S. taxpayer-funded bailout bill was also going to foreign investors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9gtf6nT3zg

Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
no it isn't.

i live in a city where i see Chinese hiring Chinese(with no white or black faces) in their restaurants,etc.

Nobody ever blasts the immigrants who do this.

Now,some issues are not the result of blacks people,but of whites.

Which one is it? Whites are the ones who let hispanics in in large numbers so that they could compete with black people.
ITA with this.

Asian immigrants especially when they are isolationist in their hiring processes are applauded for their "community building." Yet, if black people do this, then the general population wants to laud us as being "racist."

This is interesting to me on a lot of fronts. For instance, even the "Black Girls Rock" event was labeled as racist and like Black Lives Matter, many whites want to say "All" girls rock, even though this particular organization and event is one that focuses (and this is directed to the OP as well) on bringing about positive social outcomes for black girls, who are seen as the "leas attractive" type of women according to a Psychology Today article and who have very negative statistics in particular areas that the Black Girls Rock organization seeks to remedy. So it is an example of black people trying to do something positive for black people but then demonized as being "racist" by the same whites who criticize black people not "helping the black community."

Another organization that I am involved with is "Black Girls Run." Black women have poor health and are more likely to be overweight and obese than other American women so this group was started to show that many black women are involved in running programs and to encourage other black women to join a walk/jog/run program to increase their physical fitness. It too is seen as "racist" even though any woman can walk/jog/run with the group.

IMO many in our society don't want black people to focus on black issues. As practically every black organization that does so is regarded as racist. Especially the promotion of black owned businesses hiring black people. Which is a huge action that can positively impact black neighborhoods. If whites hire white it s because their new hire was "qualified." If Asians hire Asians it is because they have "strong communities." If Latinos hire Latinos it is because their new hire is assured to be "hard working." If blacks hire blacks it is because blacks are racist lol.

So OP, this is why I ignore a lot of the statistics when they are cited in various media outlets and even by persons who are not actually involved in their particular communities. I don't deny the statistics but I look at other factors for their existence and I know about programs that are criticized and lauded that seek to diminish these negative statistics, and that criticism distracts from and the goal of these organizations and especially demonizes the organization to the general public. The controversey over Michelle Obama speaking at the Black Girls Rock event was especially weird IMO. Mrs. Obama is the ultimate role model for young black girls. She is the mother of two black girls. One would think the populace would be happy to have her be a role model of a woman who is highly educated, had a successful career, is a married mother of two in a healthy marriage, etc. Instead they want her to deny being black and let those OOW baby mamas fend for themselves so to speak (I am being sarcastic there but it is true). She should ignore that black girls/women face a particular set of circumstances that contributes to their negative health and social outcomes in life. It is just odd to me the way many think and more of us black people need to leave those odd people with their oddness, focus on our positives and increase those positives in our neighborhoods.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Straight Outta Compton and F--The Police came out 26 years ago and the US crime rate actually went down since then and society didn't collapse...

One thing that's interesting is that if you talk to people often the perception is that violent crime is at an all time high, when in fact statistically it's actually been on downward slope in most places since the 90s.

Very true, except for black on black violence.

324,000 U.S. Blacks Killed by Blacks In Only 35 Years | American Free Press

Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Your "article" says nothing about whether the murder rate has increased or decreased among blacks over 35 years.

Why the Gigantic, Decades-Long Drop in Black Youth Crime Threatens Major Interests — Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice

Black community is concerned with black-on-black crime: Suggesting otherwise is ignoring the facts.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
LOL, what about white on white violence? The numbers for black and white murder victims is pretty similar (recently the white murder victim rates may be higher for intra racial - white on white crime - due to blacks not having as many mass murderers as whites commit crimes with over 5 people killed at one time). Most white people are killed by white people.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:15 AM

30,996 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
no it isn't.

i live in a city where i see Chinese hiring Chinese(with no white or black faces) in their restaurants,etc.

Nobody ever blasts the immigrants who do this.

Now,some issues are not the result of blacks people,but of whites.

Which one is it? Whites are the ones who let hispanics in in large numbers so that they could compete with black people.
I live in an area where the closest soul food restaurant (black owner) employs a lot of the local white and a few Hispanic kids as workers. Actually that theme is fairly common in both Phoenix and SD.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Just wanted to mention that the source of the article posted did mention that black homicide rates have decreased. Due to the increase in black homicides in the late 1980s and early -mid 1990s, black homicide rates have actually fallen more than other demographics.

I grew up in the 80s/90s and that is the reason why I know for certainty that crime is MUCH better now than it was then. I knew a lot of gang bangers. I knew a lot of drug addicts and dealers. Stuff like what I saw and experienced as a kid - and I wasn't even than poor or worse for wear as a kid for the most part IMO, was much worse than what goes on today.

Black people also do not use hardcore drugs as much anymore versus other demographics. I personally do believe that that is because people near my age or a little older/younger, we grew up seeing a lot of the effects that drugs can have on your life and we just don't go there. That is why perscription drug use and heroine and meth are more of a suburban/rural white thing now versus black.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL, what about white on white violence? The numbers for black and white murder victims is pretty similar (recently the white murder victim rates may be higher for intra racial - white on white crime - due to blacks not having as many mass murderers as whites commit crimes with over 5 people killed at one time). Most white people are killed by white people.
There are what, 6 times the number of white people in the US than Black people? Too; more and more, mass murder IS becoming a problem with some Black dudes doing just that.

John Allen Muhammad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lee Boyd Malvo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mark Goudeau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wayne Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia convicted to 2 murders and a suspect in most of the others
Long Island Rail Road massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2015, 11:38 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Looks like this community needs to address some issues.

Enormous Brawl on Revere Beach in Mass

Oh, it wasn't black people involved? Well then, never mind. I'm sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies