Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Mandatory Seat Belt Laws??
Yes, I support mandatory seatbelt lws 68 68.00%
No, I don't support mandatory seatbelt laws 32 32.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times

Advertisements

I cannot be pulled over or cited in any way for a seat belt in my state of residence so I like the law just fine. Having said that I always buckle up.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:32 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Should be mandatory across the board. They have proven to help prevent injury during major accidents. I don't want my insurance rates to skyrocket because now people aren't required to wear them.

As for the motorcycle comment, I'm fine with motorcycles because this is a separate policy.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:40 AM

625 posts, read 623,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
For adults, I think it's a lot like smoking. Everyone knows that it can potentially kill you, but you still have the right to make your own decision. Natural selection. If someone wants to "live on the edge" and not wear a seat belt and the end up dying because of it... who are we to stop them?

For children, it should be mandatory.
Well, we can't stop them, but we can try to protect them from themselves. The burden on society and on the health care system is tremendous. Unbelted drivers have much more severe injuries.

Safety at home: motor vehicle crash

Young people (16-25) are especially vulnerable as they have the "nothing can get me" mentality. So they do need to be protected from themselves.

If you are driving and not wearing a seat belt, and are severely injured (won't even address death) some issues are:
*medical bills
*rehab
*job loss
*unable to complete education (depending on age)
*loss of home
*loss of independence
*bankruptcy
*marriage/personal relationship problems
*effects on children

All because a seat belt stifles your creativity.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Well, we can't stop them, but we can try to protect them from themselves. The burden on society and on the health care system is tremendous. Unbelted drivers have much more severe injuries.

Safety at home: motor vehicle crash

Young people (16-25) are especially vulnerable as they have the "nothing can get me" mentality. So they do need to be protected from themselves.

If you are driving and not wearing a seat belt, and are severely injured (won't even address death) some issues are:
*medical bills
*rehab
*job loss
*unable to complete education (depending on age)
*loss of home
*loss of independence
*bankruptcy
*marriage/personal relationship problems
*effects on children

All because a seat belt stifles your creativity.
I do agree with you there. That's why I voted yes in the poll. If you don't get killed, you would potentially be a burden on the rest of society with your medical bills and issues.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Because wearing seat belts while driving a motor vehicle is the law. Simple.
Sooooo, once something is a law, it should never be up for debate or questioned?

Old 05-01-2015, 10:01 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I support seatbelt use.

I do not support laws and regulations to control behavior. Yes, some people are not smart, but I still don't think there should be a law. I just feel that eventually, over the course of years and year, we will pretty much legislate every aspect of our lives.

Only a matter of time before someone does something REALLY stupid and get a law put in place, of a politician finds a cause like not liking plastic bottles and passes a law.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 AM

625 posts, read 623,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I support seatbelt use.

I do not support laws and regulations to control behavior. Yes, some people are not smart, but I still don't think there should be a law. I just feel that eventually, over the course of years and year, we will pretty much legislate every aspect of our lives.

Only a matter of time before someone does something REALLY stupid and get a law put in place, of a politician finds a cause like not liking plastic bottles and passes a law.
They are already headed that way, Mike.

In California, it is becoming very difficult to get plastic bags. And you have to pay for bags in stores now. So people bring their own. And a lot of stores use glass bottles and they are recycled. Less plastic.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
The government should not protect its citizens from themselves. If you don't want to be safe then that is on you. I love living in NH where it is a choice, however, I still wear mine, in fact, in NH there are no seatbelt laws, no helmet laws, no insurance laws, you can still talk on your cell phone while driving too. With that said I want to set a good example for my children so they can make an educated choice when they get to be of age. What better way to learn than to watch their parents.

I know people that don't want to wear seatbelts in many cases don't because they find ways around it to at least appear as they are to avoid getting pulled over. My cousin died in an accident two years ago because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt...that was his choice...its too bad as he was only 21 but he was in a state that required it and he chose not to.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:19 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The government should not protect its citizens from themselves. If you don't want to be safe then that is on you. I love living in NH where it is a choice, however, I still wear mine, in fact, in NH there are no seatbelt laws, no helmet laws, no insurance laws, you can still talk on your cell phone while driving too.
I can understand not wanting laws that only will affect you (helmet, seat belt), but laws like cell phone and insurance laws protect OTHER people as well. Not having those is irresponsible.

How do you feel about those who don't die, rather seriously injured, but then become a burden on tax payers as they might not have any insurance, yet require thousands of dollars (or more) in medical expenses.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Let's ban cars. Everyone should be forced to walk or ride horses for their own safety AND to keep insurance rates down because that's what's really important. As we know, no one ever gets hurt riding a horse . (Incidentally, I personally knew 2 people who were killed riding horses). For all the libs who dearly love regulating everything since our politicians always know what's best for us, banning cars will cut our fossil fuel consumption. Congratulations, we saved the planet and it all started with banning seat belts and then the machines that they were attached to.

Like I said before, where does this overregulation end? Personal freedoms and control of your own life be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies