Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
not sure how the da can say not illegal

1. well he was on parole....and was carrying a switchblade (illegal)
2. he was at a known drug area
3. he ran

having a mile long rap sheet...makes you to be a usual suspect...... maybe not probable cause...but maybe yes
..being on parole...................makes you an even higher usual suspect....again maybe not provable cause, but certainly close
... being in a drug area...........makes the usual suspect, seem in violation of parole... now definitely probable cause
..being seen with other felons....is a direct violation of parole..... probable cause, and reason for stop/question/arrest
...resisting/running away.......violation of parole
....carrying a switchblade.......violation of parole

the arrest was correct....not shackling him and seatbelting him was what was wrong...along with what ever else happened in the van

a fact we do know: Gray was arrested on a weapons charge(switch blade---The knife .... a spring-assisted, one-hand-operated knife ) in a high-crime area of Baltimore known for drugs, and violation of parole.

(((((Maryland law makes it illegal to “wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind” — including switchblades — “concealed on or about the person.”)))))
I read that it was spring-assisted, not a switchblade. there is a small but crucial difference. fleeing an officer being a violation of probation - you may have something there.

do you have a link for that last sentence? I found this but it seems pretty ambiguous and I can't locate where they say it applies to those on probation:

Quote:
(5) (i) “Weapon” includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) “Weapon” does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.
penknife? no idea how they'd define that one.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

17,398 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Who cares. The point is that this DA is certainly not some white-hating, anti-cop, Black Panther member like many pro-police state Americans would love to convince themselves.
I really could care less about her background - but I hope that the evidence (that none of us are really privy to) is truly enough to charge these 6 cops and this wasn't done to pacify the public. But her public statement of "our time is now" gives me pause.

And sorry, but I do find it ironic that the Baltimore protesters didn't call for her removal because of her ties to the police - because that's exactly what happened in Ferguson.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

https://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...ie_grays_death

For the safety of officers and detainees, police are instructed to secure detainees with the seatbelt in these metal vans. Additionally, the officers are alleged not to have sought medical help even though it was repeatedly requested.

The story of the case sounds like a "rough ride" to me.
Thanks. But that still doesn't say what the law says about securing someone in the back of a van.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:04 AM

153 posts, read 156,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Here's what I find ironic, in the Michael Brown case, the prosecuting attorney had family ties to the police department, and people called for his immediate removal saying that he couldn't be impartial.

But here in the Freddie Gray case, the state's attorney has even closer ties to the police, and no one has called for her removal.

I wonder what the difference is?
The difference was that Robert Mcculloch's father was killed by a black man.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

[quote=workingclasshero;39447011]not sure how the da can say not illegal

1. well he was on parole....and was carrying a switchblade (illegal)
2. he was at a known drug area
3. he ran

/QUOTE]

He was not carry a switchblade. The knife was of the folding type. The charge of a switchblade by the police was false.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
BUT is that negligence under Maryland's law - or can they only be sanctioned by the department?

Basically, just because I break one of my job's policies, it doesn't mean I can be arrested for it.

I'd be interested in hearing/reading the nitty gritty about that.
If you negligently break a policy and that causes someone to die, then yes, you can be arrested for it. And charged with manslaughter. Kind of like if you are driving recklessly and kill someone--you can be charged with manslaughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Lol dude you are such a dumb fool. We want it to go based on facts. If their guilty, lets see the evidence and throw the book at em. I don't know any of the evidence yet.

it is racists like you who don't care about the truth. I bet my life you were acting the same way during Ferguson before and probably after evidence came out. Race and politics are the only things that matter to you
The facts are these: the weapon Freddie Gray had was not illegal--he was unlawfully detained and arrested. He was not secured in the police van. His legs were shackled. He requested medical attention but the officers sought no medical help. He suffered a fatal neck injury while riding in the van. He was no longer breathing when he was removed from the van.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:07 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Thanks. But that still doesn't say what the law says about securing someone in the back of a van.
i would also like to see what the policy says about possible exceptions to securing a prisoner, if anything.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:09 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Driver of the Van is a black man facing the most charges? A racist black man, go figure.....

Fire the mayor
Fire the police cheef
Fire the prosecutor and bring in a special prosecutor

The above is the usual cry of Sharpton in crew, but not in this case. I wonder why?!! Perplexing really.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
If you negligently break a policy and that causes someone to die, then yes, you can be arrested for it. And charged with manslaughter. Kind of like if you are driving recklessly and kill someone--you can be charged with manslaughter.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Breaking a law that results in the death of someone is one thing.

Breaking a department policy is something else entirely.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Driver of the Van is a black man facing the most charges? A racist black man, go figure.....

Fire the mayor
Fire the police cheef
Fire the prosecutor and bring in a special prosecutor

The above is the usual cry of Sharpton in crew, but not in this case. I wonder why?!! Perplexing really.
Could it be that charges were filed rather swiftly for the officers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies