Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:49 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times

Advertisements

House Republicans Go After Birthright Citizenship

I am so disappointed at the republicans. What in the world are they thinking?

Opposing birthright citizenship is going to upset a lot of people, especially immigrants.

They are out of their mind. i may have to vote democratic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
No they aren't. Only the US and Canada are the sole remaining first world countries with birthright citizenship.
All the other first world countries require at least one parent to be a citizen.

An illegal has their kid here and the kid gets a foreign birth certificate from their home country.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:01 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No they aren't. Only the US and Canada are the sole remaining first world countries with birthright citizenship.
All the other first world countries require at least one parent to be a citizen.

An illegal has their kid here and the kid gets a foreign birth certificate from their home country.
How does that suggest the conservatives won't lose?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
I think most citizens disagree with you, both R's and D's.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
How does that suggest the conservatives won't lose?
Many people approve of this. They aren't fans of anchor babies.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
House Republicans Go After Birthright Citizenship

I am so disappointed at the republicans. What in the world are they thinking?

Opposing birthright citizenship is going to upset a lot of people, especially immigrants.

They are out of their mind. i may have to vote democratic!
People that come here illegally solely to have an anchor baby are disgusting and shouldn't be rewarded with getting what they want. People that support birthright citizenship are borderline treasonous in my mind. Only the U.S. and Canada are too stupid to realize what a bad deal birthright citizenship is to a country.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Not from the results we have seen in last two national election cycle. That and social issues didn't register in exit polls that are accurate. Economy dominated with voters. That is why they won the senate plus largest majority since Truman in the house.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:20 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Only the U.S. and Canada are too stupid to realize what a bad deal birthright citizenship is to a country.
I would suggest that at the heart of the much beloved American Exceptionalism is the fact that, along with Canada, the U.S. is the only nation in the world that was build from the ground up by immigrants. Immigrants whose children and children's children were bequeath citizenship for no other reason than the place of their birth.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I would suggest that at the heart of the much beloved American Exceptionalism is the fact that, along with Canada, the U.S. is the only nation in the world that was build from the ground up by immigrants. Immigrants whose children and children's children were bequeath citizenship for no other reason than the place of their birth.
Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants". Learn to know the difference.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think most citizens disagree with you, both R's and D's.
The citizens most likely to oppose this needed reform are those with an inordinate amount of nostalgia for Ellis Island era immigration. Unfortunately these citizens run most of the media and would almost certainly have enough clout to prevent a constitutional amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies