Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
House Republicans Go After Birthright Citizenship

I am so disappointed at the republicans. What in the world are they thinking?

Opposing birthright citizenship is going to upset a lot of people, especially immigrants.

They are out of their mind. i may have to vote democratic!
Aliens CAN'T vote, at least for POTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:35 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I would, though I know that won't happen. I would severely restrict legal immigration as well though I don't see that happening anytime soon.
No one in congress is suggesting that we strip citizenship from "anchor babies" already here. What is being proposed is that after the law was re-interpreted the way it was meant to be that any babies born from illegal aliens from that point forward would not gain birthright citizenship.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So, what do you want to do? Strip away citizenship from anchor babies? Can't do that unless they are a terrorist, and a terrorist that is a dual citizen only
It COULD happen, ask the Dominican Republic in how they are dealing with their Haitian problem. Tho the DR is playing too rough even for me.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
United States vs Wong Kim Ark 1898.

Wong Kim Ark, who was born in San Francisco to Chinese parents around 1871, had been denied re-entry to the United States after a trip abroad, under a law restricting Chinese immigration and prohibiting immigrants from China from becoming naturalized U.S. citizens. He challenged the government's refusal to recognize his citizenship, and the Supreme Court ruled in his favor, holding that the citizenship language in the Fourteenth Amendment encompassed essentially everyone born in the U.S.—even the U.S.-born children of foreigners—and could not be limited in its effect by an act of Congress.

United States v. Wong Kim Ark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mr Wong's parents were here legally.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea why one has to cover something over and over. It makes no difference. The 14th makes no distinction. Later laws do not negate the 14th protections as this case shows.

If Congress wanted to exclude the children of illegals when they changed the laws they had to amend the 14th. They never did.
really.... so you cant tell the difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL???

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.
interpret which ever way you want...but its talking about people LEGALLY here and offspring who would be born here

it CERTAINLY would not be talking about AWARDING an ILLEGAL ACTION

do you really think that the states would ratify an amendment , that would allow a REWARD for an illegal action???

would you give a job (reward) at a bank to a bank robber??? should all these ILLEGAL ACTIONS just be ''forgiven'' (amnestied )

if someone stole your car would you reward him/her with ownership of the stolen car???

most people within the USA are sick and tired of the liberal amnesties (9 of them since 1965) of ILLEGALS

Old 05-02-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It doesn't..only tells yo the degree of hatred towards anyone who isn't deemed relevant as peoples..and that of course varies depending on who THEY are and who they represent...

Oh Grey..It was never an issue until hate rose up against those folk who take jobs away from them..Course None of Them would ever do those jobs as it's beneath them..

TOO bad so sad...It's how the system has always worked..best folks understand just how their own Nation was initially built and devolped ..Many just have no CLUE how their own Country actually became the nation it is as of today

This continued rhetoric will never fly in the near future..Anyone NOT originating from back like 200 years ago..are somehow deemed infiltrators..using their Country..Hatred on purely mis-informations..blaming all ills on illegals..blaming anyone NOT like themselves as "Taker's"..It hasn't stopped since 2009..I say..OP is correct..WHitehouse elected office is a dim possibility..and those in office obstructing any laws benefiting regular Americans while reap the rewards...While it doesn't affect me personally..It certainly affects my American friends who are forced to endure such BS.....
Just stop it, please. I'm guessing you're a Canadian and your country is MUCH tougher on illegal aliens than the US.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:40 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm expressing no opinion here about whether birthright citizenship should be prohibited or not.

I am just noting that I think you are right that initiatives like these will not help the Rs win the presidency in 2016.
Why, only citizens can vote so how would birthright citizenship affect them? Their kids are and always have been citizens of this country.

Here are the real sentiments of most Americans about birthright citizenship for children of illegal aliens:

New High: 65% Oppose Automatic Citizenship for Children Born Here to Illegal Immigrants - Rasmussen Reports™

Old 05-02-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
The Republicans will never be elected to another national office, i.e. President. Because they have alienated women, gays, minorities, foreigners, and moderate religious people.

The only people left to vote for them are the extreme right wing religious whackos, gun owners and the 1%ers.

They will continue to hold Congressional seats because many are in rural, inbred areas.
So have the Dems in recent years. Look at the midterms last year, many Dems LOST the governorships in many "blue" states. Too, IF the economy doesn't pick up, that could REALLY hurt Hillary IF she even makes it through the primary.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Mr Wong's parents were here legally.
I've covered that more than once. If you want to address that, fine but it gets old when one simply repeats the same failed one liners over and over.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:47 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Birth tourists get instant U.S. citizenship for their newborns. That is stupid.
hard to see how anyone could disagree with this.
even leftist pinheads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies