Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:50 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Joan

It is Friday and That may be why I have a hard time following what you write?
(Buzzed again)

I have two years of junior college and another two years of flight school but I must admit .. even though I didn't quite understand what you were saying .. I liked it!
Now .. If you weren't gay, I'd ask you: Will You Marry Me?
I understood it, though I am merely hung over, not buzzed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:54 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I received this the other day. Great timing

" FINALLY, A DEFINITION OF THE TERM "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!
For the last six odd years, almost all of the things I wanted to write or say, have been stymied by a recently coined term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"! Although I consider myself rather fluent in the English language, that term was not in my vocabulary. My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to do a little research and after two weeks of chasing fruitless leads, I found what I'd been looking for at the Truman Library and Museum in Independence Missouri. An unnamed source there sent me copies of four telegrams that were between Harry Truman and Douglas MacArthur on the day before the actual signing of the Surrender Agreement. The contents of those four telegrams below are exactly as received, not a word has been added or deleted!

(1) Tokyo, Japan
0800-September 1, 1945
To: President Harry S Truman
Tomorrow we meet with those yellow bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minute instructions!

(2) Washington, D C
1300-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur
Congratulations, job well done, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese when discussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of your remarks are fundamentally not politically correct!
(3) Tokyo, Japan
1630-September 1, 1945
To: H S Truman
Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I are somewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?

(4) Washington, D C
2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of s**t by the clean end!

"And the only thing he could find was a pile of that stuff that Bess Truman took 35 years trying to get Harry to call fertilizer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUu2HKZGxJ4

Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Been noticing a lot of people on the forum upset because they think others use improper verbiage or unnecessarily lump groups of people together. As a gay liberal, all I can do is laugh. After all this Baltimore outrage, I think it's important for people to look over the verbiage and find the core sentiment in a statement. This quote sums it up quite perfectly:

"Political Correctness, ironically, is often used to create outsiders.

On the surface, the function of being PC is inclusivity (through the consideration of how one's words will affect the widest range of listeners possible). This notion has merit, but this is only the surface.

The psychological gains of being PC are to create a language of those "in the know." When you trespass the norms of this inner-circle by making an off-color remark or using a word that is no longer the preferred nomenclature, those on the inside are sanctioned by the others in their group to chastise you. To label you "ignorant" - as if your syntax or word choice determined your rightness.

The application of political correctness often fosters inauthentic dialogue out of fear of social reprisal. It impedes productive conversation and shallows otherwise deep and meaningful thought. The focus should not be to increase our political correctness, but rather to move to a place as a society where we focus more on intent of speech rather than specific word choice."

If you see somebody you think is being racist, Islamic, homophobic, sexist, etc. really think to yourself before you call them out on it. Just because somebody notices a pattern in certain groups does not mean they are exclusive.
lets call political correctness what it really is, and that is political cleansing. we have been trying to soften the language for decades, and we have been trying to call people and things what they are without offending someone. the problem is though that someone is ALWAYS offended, regardless of what you say, or dont say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I received this the other day. Great timing

" FINALLY, A DEFINITION OF THE TERM "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!
For the last six odd years, almost all of the things I wanted to write or say, have been stymied by a recently coined term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"! Although I consider myself rather fluent in the English language, that term was not in my vocabulary. My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to do a little research and after two weeks of chasing fruitless leads, I found what I'd been looking for at the Truman Library and Museum in Independence Missouri. An unnamed source there sent me copies of four telegrams that were between Harry Truman and Douglas MacArthur on the day before the actual signing of the Surrender Agreement. The contents of those four telegrams below are exactly as received, not a word has been added or deleted!

(1) Tokyo, Japan
0800-September 1, 1945
To: President Harry S Truman
Tomorrow we meet with those yellow bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minute instructions!

(2) Washington, D C
1300-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur
Congratulations, job well done, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese when discussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of your remarks are fundamentally not politically correct!
(3) Tokyo, Japan
1630-September 1, 1945
To: H S Truman
Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I are somewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?

(4) Washington, D C
2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of s**t by the clean end!

very good.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:13 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Generally, I've found that the people who complain about political correctness are the ones that want to make offensive comments while getting a free pass for doing so or not facing any consequences.

Those who make genuine points, or say something not politically correct because they don't know otherwise, are usually defended by just about everyone.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:52 PM

522 posts, read 695,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Those who make genuine points, or say something not politically correct because they don't know otherwise, are usually defended by just about everyone.
Mmmm... sometimes. Other times the majority will stand behind the one who's been "wronged" by somebody whos politically incorrect and point fingers. Probably because modern society has taught them to do so.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Generally, I've found that the people who complain about political correctness are the ones that want to make offensive comments while getting a free pass for doing so or not facing any consequences.

many that complain are afraid to make certain comments because someone will be offended. and that is the big part of the problem, too many people these days with thin skin. i agree that some words need to leave our lexicon, the N word when referring to black people for instance is a good example. but it needs to leave completely, to the point even black people dont use the word.

but what about other words and phrases? in world war one, when a soldier in combat reached his saturation point to where his nerves could no longer take the shelling, they would shut down. then it was called shell shock. simple, direct, we knew what it was so the soldier could get the help they needed.

in world war two shell shock became battle fatigue.

in korea it became operational exhaustion.

in vietnam it became post traumatic stress disorder.

at each change some of the pain was taken away, and people forgot how to deal with this condition.

political correctness has created some of the problems we have today, and it has magnified others. the pC crowd wants everyone to think the same way, react the same way, act the same way, etc. and with 7 billion people on this planet, we cant do that. people have got to be who they are. we cant force them into neat, tidy little boxes of plain grey robots, living in plain grey apartments, driving the same grey environmentally correct sedan.

in the end the political correctness movement isnt about being sensitive to others, but rather its a way to control people.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 PM

522 posts, read 695,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

political correctness has created some of the problems we have today, and it has magnified others. the pC crowd wants everyone to think the same way, react the same way, act the same way, etc. and with 7 billion people on this planet, we cant do that. people have got to be who they are. we cant force them into neat, tidy little boxes of plain grey robots, living in plain grey apartments, driving the same grey environmentally correct sedan.
YES, so true! And another thing people get chastized about is generalizing. Sometimes generalizing people can actually work. Not like implementing segregation or anything, but certain groups of people are statistically shown to act differently. However, if you cite this people will go absolutely bonkers because they think everybody is a special little flower who doesn't fit into a preconceived mold. What they don't know is that people are predictable and your background has a surprising effect on how you act.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
"And the only thing he could find was a pile of that stuff that Bess Truman took 35 years trying to get Harry to call fertilizer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUu2HKZGxJ4

What a blessing that such a great man, Ronald Wilson Reagan, was born in our lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies