Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:48 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Got me there. Yes, I'm a social liberal because I'm not a thick-headed bigot. I'm proud of that.
I go away and return to the word bigot?

The last words in an argument that has been lost are Racist and Bigot.
Would you care to explain the Bigot remark?

Old 05-02-2015, 01:08 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I go away and return to the word bigot?

The last words in an argument that has been lost are Racist and Bigot.
Would you care to explain the Bigot remark?
Sure, just for your enlightenment, I will do so.

Social conservatism as a philosophy basically stands for the preservation of the historical status quo, or conversely the obstruction of pretty much any and all social progress. They claim they just want markets and local communities to determine things, but what it really translates into is that they prefer to defend those who have had power and advantage and marginalize those minorities who don't.

Social conservatives opposed secularization. If it was solely up to them, their religious doctrine of choice would still heavily dictate what people must profess to believe and how they must act.

Social conservatives opposed rights for blacks. If it was solely up to them, we'd still be living with slavery and segregation.

Social conservatives opposed rights for women. If it was solely up to them, women would not be voting today or experiencing freedom outside of the household.

Social conservatives opposed rights for homosexuals, and vehemently so to this day as evidenced by this forum. If it was solely up to them, gay people would be marginalized into silence with no secular relationship rights.

Basically, if there was a marginalized group out there in history, you can be sure that social conservatives were there to persecute them and do their best to stop them from gaining rights.

Now, liberalism especially in the form of today's Democratic party is rife with problems and extremism in the other direction, so they aren't great either. But at least they admit that there are some issues to be addressed rather than sweep them under the rug and actively fight against the rights of others.

And that, in a nutshell, is why the ranks of social conservatives have always been and always will be the preferred home of bigots and racists everywhere. They are people who are programmed to defend the status quo and fight against people different from themselves. I, however, am not such a person, which is why I have always been proud not to call myself a social conservative.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:28 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sure, just for your enlightenment, I will do so.

Social conservatism as a philosophy basically stands for the preservation of the historical status quo, or conversely the obstruction of pretty much any and all social progress. They claim they just want markets and local communities to determine things, but what it really translates into is that they prefer to defend those who have had power and advantage and marginalize those minorities who don't.

Social conservatives opposed secularization. If it was solely up to them, their religious doctrine of choice would still heavily dictate what people must profess to believe and how they must act.

Social conservatives opposed rights for blacks. If it was solely up to them, we'd still be living with slavery and segregation.

Social conservatives opposed rights for women. If it was solely up to them, women would not be voting today or experiencing freedom outside of the household.

Social conservatives opposed rights for homosexuals, and vehemently so to this day as evidenced by this forum. If it was solely up to them, gay people would be marginalized into silence with no secular relationship rights.

Basically, if there was a marginalized group out there in history, you can be sure that social conservatives were there to persecute them and do their best to stop them from gaining rights.

Now, liberalism especially in the form of today's Democratic party is rife with problems and extremism in the other direction, so they aren't great either. But at least they admit that there are some issues to be addressed rather than sweep them under the rug and actively fight against the rights of others.

And that, in a nutshell, is why the ranks of social conservatives have always been and always will be the preferred home of bigots and racists everywhere. They are people who are programmed to defend the status quo and fight against people different from themselves. I, however, am not such a person, which is why I have always been proud not to call myself a social conservative.
When has a progressive liberal EVER admitted that there is anything wrong with their "beliefs"? WHEN

Old 05-02-2015, 01:36 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When has a progressive liberal EVER admitted that there is anything wrong with their "beliefs"? WHEN
I at least admit that there are many things wrong with progressive liberal beliefs. One such belief would be that whites owe reparations to people for ills from many generations past. Another would be that we should premise all solutions on handouts - it is possible to be a social liberal without being an economic liberal. The policies of Democrats are pretty mixed and downright bad in multiple places.

But I also stand by the argument that fundamentally, conservative philosophy as a defense of the status quo and obstruction of the social rights for historically marginalized classes of people is distasteful. I cannot support it.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:25 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
... the Baltimore police officer charged with murdering Freddie Gray is black

Talk about burying your lead: Every source I heard reported six officers charged in his death; not one mentioned that the only one charged with murder was also black.
You have to read the UK news to find out anything relevant going on in the USA. They were the first to report this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...judgement.html

My guess. The USA MSM will quickly stop talking about Baltimore as fast as they can.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Nothing new here though.

The left don't mind the personal destruction of folks like David Clarke, Alan West, Walter Williams, Herman Cain etc. etc. when it suits their agenda.
Blacks don't have a clue when it comes to what the left is doing to Black champions and .. they don't care!

If MLK were alive today .. The left would crucify him!

The other day I heard someone comment that the nation never really got over the loss of MLK. He was succeeded by Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who even many on the left (e.g. Juan Williams) have labeled as at best phony leaders, and at worst con artists. And then there are the lesser lights such as Charles Rangel, Maxine Waters, Louis Farrakhan, etc. who have been disasters.

Finally we come to Barak Obama, who has spent 6 years obviously trying to inflame, incite, and divide. Those who were paying attention knew what was up when he shut down the DC school voucher program, and then sent his own daughters to a private school. Shutting down the voucher program was one of the first things he did back in 2009.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:45 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikekat View Post
Maybe not everyone is as focused on race as you are. Makes no difference to me
Exactly correct.

The enntire Freddie Gray thing isn't about race at all which is why we see so many signs proclaiming "black lives matter".

Nothing to do with race at all!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:53 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
The city of Baltimore was looted and burned because the leftist lynch-mob wrongly jumped to conclusions about racial impropriety, yet again, and allowed their hatred and their greed to motivate their actions.

We saw it with Trayvon, we saw it in Ferguson, and now we see it again in Baltimore. This lynch mob approach to justice may be profitable for some on the left, and may seem like great fun to others, but it certainly has nothing to do with justice.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly correct.

The enntire Freddie Gray thing isn't about race at all which is why we see so many signs proclaiming "black lives matter".

Nothing to do with race at all!
Yeah, the look on some of the peoples faces when they find out some of the officers are black surprised. The worst part they don't even have their own thoughts. All they ask is if the reporters are reporting from FOX or they ask if they will be represented correctly. Depends on what you say while on air, ever think of that Ms. Mayor!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It matters because the race narrative was the supposed reason for the rioting, the looting and the burning of the city of Baltimore.

If that is not the motive for these actions, then what supposedly is?
Er, the "race narrative" is about the victims. The parallel narrative is about police out of control and turning into judge, jury and executioner -- and that requires no particular skin color, just a badge.

So this doesn't change a thing, as dearly as the right would love it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies