Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Japanese-Americans were subject to one of the greatest incidents of racial profiling in American history when those living on the West Coast and Hawaii were put in concentration camps in the high deserts beyond the Sierras and Cascades for the duration of the Second World War.
Matter of fact, All across the West, relocation notices were posted on April 30, 1942. All people of Japanese ancestry – including those with only 1/16th Japanese blood – were given one week to settle their affairs.

Although it sucked, which country would apologize for this kind of mistake? Only America. In other countries, a person like myself and my brothers (we have German and Japanese blood in us) would be considered as enemies. We perhaps would be stoned to death. Concentrate on the positive, suck it up, and move on. You cannot judge history using perfect hindsight.

No one said America is perfect, but it is pretty darn good country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:48 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Funny, I don't think this thread has turned out like the OP thought it would, ROTFLMAO!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times
I am sure the OP was hoping we would say: because Asians are the perfect minority, and they never commit crimes and etc. but that is not necessarily true. Even if they are not targeted by the police, Asians have been discriminated against in other ways.

And as other pointed out, Japanese were placed in internment camps at one point in our history.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:35 PM

28 posts, read 28,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Nothing like them good ole, Tennessee stereotypes to get you all up in the vapors.
I moved from Massachusetts (where I grew up) 10 years ago. Nice try.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 PM

28 posts, read 28,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Japanese-Americans were subject to one of the greatest incidents of racial profiling in American history when those living on the West Coast and Hawaii were put in concentration camps in the high deserts beyond the Sierras and Cascades for the duration of the Second World War.
So were the Germans before and during World War One and to a lesser extent during World War Two.

Italians in the United States were also put in internment camps.

One of the largest lynchings in US history was of Italians in Nawleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
The police should not profile ANYONE in my opinion.
That would be stupid and dangerous too.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:20 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The attitude/action of the police forces in the US toward black males is based on the statistical fact that young black males commit a grossly disproportionate incidence of crimes relative to their population.

Want to be treated "equally" by the police? Stop committing so many crimes. Blacks will never be treated equally by the police until they start acting like other members of society.

Asians "look different" than whites, yet one does not see the police arresting asians at any greater rate. Further, one does not see asians burning down their neighborhoods and promoting violent racist rhetoric. Sometimes you reap what you sow.

The black people I know value education, work hard, and have strong family values. The police do not seem to harass or arrest them. I wonder why that is so?
Asians are too busy doing math and eating dogs to be committing crimes.

And if you're wondering why I'd say such a racist thing, it's because every race has it's own stereotypes and are all viewed in different ways as a result.

George Takei was recently interviewed by Neil Degrasse Tyson where they talked about a long list of subjects (one of them was Star Trek, but they're both nerds so of course they did) including racism. As a child, Takei was in an internment camp. The view of Asians was not the 'they're smart and dedicated' like it is today. Stereotypes change all the time. The Irish were once considered something other than white.

By unfortunate circumstance, more black Americans live in poverty (and as a result also commit more crimes) than Asians. And because people are really good at not thinking things through, many cops assume too much. People judge other based o the actions of others. We see that if everyone. People condemning all Muslims because some are quite violent. All white people are racist because some are. It happens too much and it's quite annoying, but until we stop having such a rigid tribal mentality, that won't go away. Judge individuals based on what they do, not what the members of their group do. Seems simple but people are either too stupid or too scared or both to do it. It's a shame.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:30 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The black people I know value education, work hard, and have strong family values.
According to the race hustling leftists, knowing or being friends with black people is proof of racism.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'll tell you why that isn't so. Unlike a lot of rabid right-wingers here who make insinuations along the lines of, "They're black, they can't help themselves" when it comes to crime, black males are not genetically predisposed to become criminals There's 2 black guys I'm friends with, and they live in a farming village southeast of me, and they don't cause trouble at all. It's the city environment that causes so many blacks to be violent, not their DNA
I don't hear anyone making a genetic argument. They just observe fact and report them. Clearly it is a social problem. I don't buy the urban/rural divide argument either. Lots of Asians live in cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies