Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Public displays no matter the sexuality are something we can all do without.

Would you feel the same way if they had just kissed as a greeting or as a good by??
No, that would have been fine.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:23 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
My favorite part about this BS is that the people who spout it are therefore saying that it's a choice for them to be straight. That's kind of gay.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Sure, I won't disagree with that. What I contend is the idea that there is even such a thing as a hetero- or homosexual person. This idea was once prominent among liberals (Gore Vidal was very fond of this idea) but seems to have died out recently. My guess for why this is no longer prominent is that it takes the wind out of the sails of identity politics, which has been a hugely winning tactic for progressives lately.
Yes, when I was in college in the '80s there were people on campus insisting that science had proven everyone was really bisexual.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:46 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the biggest barriers to LGBT rights in America is the fact the two sides disagree over what homosexuality even is.

In the eyes of many conservatives, homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Because it's a choice, they believe its their right to discriminate against those who make that choice. To them, marriage equality isn't equality, its a special privilege granted to those who choose a relationship other than that of the norm. To them, the homosexual could simply marry someone of the opposite gender and would be equal. The thing is, if their definition of homosexuality was correct, they would have some very valid points.

However, science tells us something different. It tells us that sexual orientation is an immutable, unchangeable trait. It tells us that it isn't any different from gender or race. Sexual orientation, like gender identity, is at the core of who a person is. Even if a gay man never has a relationship with another man he is still gay. Therefore, refusing to serve them or allow them to marry because of an immutable characteristic is in fact discrimination on the same level as race or gender discrimination. Conversion therapy does not work because you cannot change an immutable characteristic. Even ex-gay "success stories" will usually admit they still experience some degree of unwanted same-sex attraction. If the conservatives were right and it was a choice, why would that be?

Until conservatives are willing to accept the science that says sexual orientation is an immutable trait, they will not support LGBT rights. They will cling to the idea that its a choice to justify their discrimination and disgust.
I'm not sure many of them actually care. They're just very authoritarian and traditional, and because gay marriage violates the default, they are extremely threatened by it.

What do they want gay people to do? Pretend that they don't feel that way? Is that particularly healthy to do, simply to maintain the 100% heterosexual default that we believe as a society?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:12 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I feel sorrow and compassion for people who are confused about their gender........Bruce Jenner has my sympathy.

But I do not support the idea of LGBT, unnatural and harmful at best..........at worst, it totally destroys and ends lives.
It does end lives. Usually the gay person's life via shotgun.

But I'd love to know how it's harmful. Please, site an example. You know, besides all the earthquakes and hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so until everyone accepts that some people are born gay, then us conservatives dont understand science? rubbish. the talk of a gay gene has been squashed because it isnt true.

all this OP is trying to do is force everyone to accept his view point, that people are born gay.
There's less evidence for believing it's a choice than seeing it as a biological thing. Are they born gay? Who knows. It could be something that just happens as they develop, but there's not even a line of logic that lets it be possible that a gay person would be gay because they want to.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think Op doesn't understand many do not see it as a life style.They see same gender sex has a choice and sin on religious beliefs. Its not that one is attracted to same sex; its the act. Same as those attracted to children is a sin and against the law. All sin involves temptation even adultery. One can be forgiven but that takes repenting from the sin. Others may hate like any other thing hated or just not approve without any religious reason.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:42 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
[SIZE=5]bawac34618[/SIZE]
My BIGGIST issue is with the psychology of normal sexual development, specifically how some view the love for their own body, & the appreciation of the human form of the same sex as being gay. Please do not mistake this for sexual orientation, it has to do with ones development of identity, role and self, not sex. Grow up.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the biggest barriers to LGBT rights in America is the fact the two sides disagree over what homosexuality even is.

Actually, 97% of us don't give a flying flip about LGBT rights. Until we get on this board, we never give it a thought.

Most of us support human rights, not LGBT rights.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
What do they want gay people to do? Pretend that they don't feel that way? Is that particularly healthy to do, simply to maintain the 100% heterosexual default that we believe as a society?
Most religious conservatives would tell a gay person to either get conversion therapy or remain celibate for life.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Nevertheless, just like other types of temptations, such as gambling, alcoholism, and of course other sexual tendencies like pedophilia, bestiality, etc.; just because the temptation is there, that does not justify the conduct. Just because we feel like doing something, that does not make it right or alleviate its status as a sinful behavior.
But that's not the pertinent issue.

Two consenting adults. Do you really want your government to be regulating what they are doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies