Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:18 PM

23,966 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What a waste of a black president. What a waste.

He could have done so much to turn around the younger black culture with his position and how many looked up to him.

I just shake my head in disgust.

I don't have to agree with him politically - but would have had no problem giving him props for improving the lot of blacks in this country.
Please draw me a picture showing how Obama could have done anything to turn around the poor, young blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Please draw me a picture showing how Obama could have done anything to turn around the poor, young blacks.
There are numerous other statements he could have made rather than perpetuate victimhood due to the Civil War.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 PM

23,966 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Do you really think the people who tore up the CVS or anything else could be changed by anything a President would say? Even if the POTUS looked like them.

These kids are raising themselves and each other. They have no positive reinforcement at home, or they wouldn't be stealing in the first place.

Years ago,some in academia and educrat consultants declared that poverty caused crime. It might. But I am old enough to have grandparents, etc. talk about the depression. Lots of people were poor but did not turn into Bonnie and Clyde. They knew the depression would end.

The kids were are talking about see no future for themselves or their peers. What do they have to lose? No positive role model or cheerleading speech by a POTUS is gonna change that.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:37 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do you really think the people who tore up the CVS or anything else could be changed by anything a President would say? Even if the POTUS looked like them.

These kids are raising themselves and each other. They have no positive reinforcement at home, or they wouldn't be stealing in the first place.

Years ago,some in academia and educrat consultants declared that poverty caused crime. It might. But I am old enough to have grandparents, etc. talk about the depression. Lots of people were poor but did not turn into Bonnie and Clyde. They knew the depression would end.

The kids were are talking about see no future for themselves or their peers. What do they have to lose? No positive role model or cheerleading speech by a POTUS is gonna change that.
You raise some interesting points. I do want to caution you that Baltimore has a little bit different history and circumstance than say the Ferguson's of the country. 2/3 of the city is African American, and quit honestly, 2/3 of the city is under poor living conditions. I believe that the riots were excessive but I do understand their rage. I believe the African American community has been shafted by the community for decades, especially since Baltimore city has done nothing to improve their conditions. The lack of quality education, community centers and other services in the city is so sad that if I was a inner city boy, I would be a trouble maker. Now, Proper parenting and upbringing is a huge part of it, absolutely. I believe the city needs to install useful programs to assist. Much of the community is honestly ignorant or simply not educated enough to make good judgement. I feel we cannot ignore this.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:26 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
You raise some interesting points. I do want to caution you that Baltimore has a little bit different history and circumstance than say the Ferguson's of the country. 2/3 of the city is African American, and quit honestly, 2/3 of the city is under poor living conditions. I believe that the riots were excessive but I do understand their rage. I believe the African American community has been shafted by the community for decades, especially since Baltimore city has done nothing to improve their conditions. The lack of quality education, community centers and other services in the city is so sad that if I was a inner city boy, I would be a trouble maker. Now, Proper parenting and upbringing is a huge part of it, absolutely. I believe the city needs to install useful programs to assist. Much of the community is honestly ignorant or simply not educated enough to make good judgement. I feel we cannot ignore this.
I'll go along with the lack of quality education, however, you can lead a horse to water.....

and yes, indeed, proper parenting is a big factor....and I'm sorry, but in this day and age, they are not educated enough, or ignorant....yes, indeed they are...this is 2015, and they should be using protection, and they should be much further along intellectually, but you've got to start with the little ones....and, there are tons of us, that had bad lives, so I don't want to hear that excuse....you choose to do right or wrong....it's always a choice, and again, its not excuse, but I'm sure some cops get really disgusted with people who are constantly getting arrested and are the scum of the earth...I'm sure it isn't easy to walk into an apartment and see a dead baby...or someone dumps a baby in a dumpster, or sees drug infestations....after years of working in inner city life, it's got to get to you....and again, its no excuse but a lot of these inner city people who have a rap sheet a mile long, challenge the cops, push them to their limits....

Many don't, but many do....

Old 05-08-2015, 10:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Why invest in a city where they burn investment.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i would not have bet money on this happening. i guess they're gluttons for punishment.

CVS officially confirms plan to reopen burned stores - Baltimore Sun
Loss leader. It's good PR.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:14 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i would not have bet money on this happening. i guess they're gluttons for punishment.

CVS officially confirms plan to reopen burned stores - Baltimore Sun
I'd have more respect for them if they didn't rebuild in that area of savagery.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:37 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why invest in a city where they burn investment.
why invest in people who have not yet won the respect from other law abiding citizens?

No one is exempt from the law....and yet, everyone thinks its ok to break the laws....?

speeding, texting, talking on the phone, which is against the laws in some states, and regardless, to do so while your driving is less then responsible.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
I'm sure it's been said already, but people just want to throw money at the problem so they can feel good about "doing something". They may legitimately want to help, but it's easier to give money and feel like you did your part than to actually put more thought into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies