Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 12:25 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are good reasons to take risks, there a dumb reasons to take risks, and then there is just showboating that puts people at risk.

When you get a cell phone call from your wife saying, "We don't know what's happening, but they're rushing us out of the store and telling us to get out of the area," and then wait tense minutes to be told, "We're out of the area--the police have the roads blocked off," and then you learn that there really was a danger--with people killed and a real potential for a genuine mass tragedy...
..and it was all over an unnecessary stunt...

...sorry, no applause from me.
So your solution is to get rid of free speech, get rid of cartoonists, and let Muslims come into our country and control what we do and say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikekat View Post
Agreed Geller has a right to be a troll. Sounds like you are minimizing the deeds of the KKK
Where did you get that from? The KKK's actions were vile. Much like those of radical Islamists.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So your solution is to get rid of free speech, get rid of cartoonists, and let Muslims come into our country and control what we do and say?
During the Battle of Britain, Londoners did not get up onto the rooftops under which their children slept and wave torches during blitzes.

You don't draw fire where you live.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As predicted, this thread turns into "Oh, Christians do the same" thread.

Those who would defend Islam and its violence are fond of pointing out the faults of Christianity, as if those faults give Muslims an excuse to commit violence. Some folks love to point the finger of blame at someone else for the things they are doing themselves. That’s what they are doing when they attack Christianity, in order to defend their new best friend, Radical Islam. I just wonder what they will do when Islam turns their attention to them?

And seriously, if you want to argue, at least argue fairly.

Just because there was violence associated with the Christian crusades, as well as other events in the past, does not absolve Islamic terrorists from the acts of violence they are so fond of wreaking. Just because the Biblical Old Testament tells us of the violence associated with the Jewish nation after they left Egypt, doesn’t mean that is all Christianity is about. The New Testament changed that. At the risk of being redundant, that does not absolve the terrorist madmen who are running around killing people in the name of Allah and Islam.

"Two wrongs make a right" is a staple of Progressive ideology and thought process.

The difference between modern Christians and Mulsim extremists is that Christians, by and large have evolved past medieval thinking and Muslims are still comparatively stuck in the dark ages of literal interpretation of the Quran and violent, savage jihad on infidels.

But there are those on the left who, beyond all logic, try to draw a moral equivalent with Muslim extremists throwing gays off a building and Christians not wanting to cater a gay wedding.....as if they are the same thing.

To those on the Left who insist on pointing out what Christians did 500 years ago, I ask:

What have Christians done to you lately?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

There are Muslims who are native born Americans. They didn't just immigrate here in the last couple of years.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
"Two wrongs make a right" is a staple of Progressive ideology and thought process.

The difference between modern Christians and Mulsim extremists is that Christians, by and large have evolved past medieval thinking and Muslims are still comparatively stuck in the dark ages of literal interpretation of the Quran and violent, savage jihad on infidels.

But there are those on the left who, beyond all logic, try to draw a moral equivalent with Muslim extremists throwing gays off a building and Christians not wanting to cater a gay wedding.....as if they are the same thing.

To those on the Left who insist on pointing out what Christians did 500 years ago, I ask:

What have Christians done to you lately?

Nobody, as far as I know, condones radical Islam's use of violence and terror. At least none that I've seen on this forum.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:40 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not saying it does. Not saying it should be tolerated. Let's go back to my original post, shall we? What did these people expect would happen?

I'm glad the two nutjobs got offed. They could have done much worse.
You'd have to ask them. I'd expect that more extreme Muslims would would learn that they couldn't intimidate the people of this country, expect non-Muslims to follow the dictates of their superstition and would learn from that. Perhaps even to act like civilized human beings.

Mockery of a foolish concept is a perfectly valid method for changing the norms of segments of society. Gays and their supporters have been mocking and insulting those that oppose them for a couple decades now. Guess what? It seems to be working, norms are changing. Attacking/restricting gays is now becoming something that is vilified. The same can be done with radical Islam. When you stand up to their violent acts and childish admonitions concerning cartoons, eventually they will come around too.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is there is no government threat to the 1st Amendment the artists are combatting here. The fact a private citizen might shoot you for drawing such a picture is not a 1st Amendment issue.

When a poster presumes the "facts" so vehemently... tells me the facts don't really matter.

Muslim ideology has no place for free speech, so the entire premise of the religion is the polar opposite to our constitution... PERIOD!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-05-2015 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: orphaned reply to deleted post

Old 05-05-2015, 01:05 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
You know this whole meme going around that Pamela Geller was provocative, and yes, although she had the 1st amend right to hold that contest, what happened was very predictable so she shouldn’t have done it. It bugged me for hours because I knew I’d seen that dynamic before and couldn’t put my finger on it. Then – BINGO!

Have you ever known someone in an abusive relationship? It goes like this. “no, he shouldn’t hit you, but you know he does, so why do you provoke him?”. The “It’s my fault he hit me, I pissed him off”. Or, “If you don’t want me to hit you, don’t **** me off”.

All those people inverting the moral compass here are speaking as abused/abuser enablers. Every last one.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
You know this whole meme going around that Pamela Geller was provocative, and yes, although she had the 1st amend right to hold that contest, what happened was very predictable so she shouldn’t have done it. It bugged me for hours because I knew I’d seen that dynamic before and couldn’t put my finger on it. Then – BINGO!

Have you ever known someone in an abusive relationship? It goes like this. “no, he shouldn’t hit you, but you know he does, so why do you provoke him?”. The “It’s my fault he hit me, I pissed him off”. Or, “If you don’t want me to hit you, don’t **** me off”.

All those people inverting the moral compass here are speaking as abused/abuser enablers. Every last one.
You hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies