Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times

Advertisements

Unions cannot represent retires. It is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is what I also see happening. The have-nots, or the barely haves, want to pull all others down to their level instead of fighting to improve conditions for all. This is the new right-wing agenda.
This is what I also see happening. The have-nots, or the barely haves, want to pull all others down to their level instead of fighting to improve conditions for all. This is the new Democratic Party agenda.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I don't have a lot of respect for some public unions. Do a menial job, stick it out for 30 years and end up making as much as a doctor or lawyer. Contractual not merit pay raises.

We have a relative who can barely read and write and makes doctor/lawyer salary. His company cannot lay him off even when there is no work in his area. Have to ship him off to another part of the country on the company's dime.

In the meantime the consumer of his company's products and services pays inflated prices to compensate for the union's bloated benefits package.

Right.

It`s the public and not the private unions that many have a beef with.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:44 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You mean the unions are too cowardly to allow people to make the choice to join. They either want people to be forced to join or be forced to contribute a part of their paycheck.

Americans want choice, unions want to choose for them.
Americans want the benefits of being unionized without the costs associated with it. It's really that simple. People want free stuff for themselves.

The Republican party are truly masters at appealing to selfish people who simultaneously feel entitled to benefits for themselves and rail against benefits for others.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Since you either didn't read your links or can't comprehend them, it's pretty useless to "debate" you.

You mean the unions are too cowardly to allow people to make the choice to join. They either want people to be forced to join or be forced to contribute a part of their paycheck.

Americans want choice, unions want to choose for them.

Not sure what you mean by cowards. And no one forces someone to join a union. Some companies have unions though. The United Food and Commercial Workers are one. This is a contract between the union and the employer. If you want to work at a major grocery than you join the union....which I might add has major benefits. Americans absolutely have a choice. Don't work for a union if you don't want to.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
No, it is the right-wing agenda to redistribute wealth up!
Wrong, as usual, it's the right-wing agenda to allow people to succeed.

Quote:
Yep. Glad you see the light. We need to stop pimping and allowing the government to provide for businesses and companies. Economic Development Tax Credits to Grow Your Business in Wisconsin

Especially those companies under the guise of "job creation." UPDATE: Eaton outsourcing WI jobs to Mexico again, despite getti - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports
In my perfect world, no business would receive a dime from government - us taxpayers.

Sorry, but you're using the wrong bait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is what I also see happening. The have-nots, or the barely haves, want to pull all others down to their level instead of fighting to improve conditions for all. This is the new Democratic Party agenda.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Americans want the benefits of being unionized without the costs associated with it. It's really that simple. People want free stuff for themselves.

The Republican party are truly masters at appealing to selfish people who simultaneously feel entitled to benefits for themselves and rail against benefits for others.
I could care less what the establishment Republican party wants.

As a conservative, I can say "free stuff" should only be available to a tiny segment of our society. It should go to disabled children, injured veterans (although it's not "free" because they paid in blood and flesh), handicapped, etc.

It seems as though most liberals want "free stuff" given to a large segment of our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Not sure what you mean by cowards. And no one forces someone to join a union. Some companies have unions though. The United Food and Commercial Workers are one. This is a contract between the union and the employer. If you want to work at a major grocery than you join the union....which I might add has major benefits. Americans absolutely have a choice. Don't work for a union if you don't want to.
Do you feel that people who don't want to be in a union should be forced to pay a fee for not joining?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I believe that everyone that is working for another person or company should be in a UNION. That is the only way for individuals to avoid being underpaid by the organized owners.

We really, really need the International Workers of the World more than ever.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
I'll take it seriously when the politicians forgo their own fat pensions and lifelong medical insurance.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe that everyone that is working for another person or company should be in a UNION. That is the only way for individuals to avoid being underpaid by the organized owners.

We really, really need the International Workers of the World more than ever.
People who add value don't need to be part of a union.

If you provide little value to an employer, of course you need to be able to make a threat like closing down the business.

Of course the best way to get ahead is to offer value so that the company wants to keep you around.

You'll always be living on the edge and scratching your way along if you don't do something to change your life and the value you offer. Joining a union doesn't make you more valuable, it just gives you a weapon.

When employers feel they are essentially being threatened, they will eventually make a change to remove that. Where will you find yourself then?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'll take it seriously when the politicians forgo their own fat pensions and lifelong medical insurance.
Welcome to the TEA Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies