Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government redistribute wealth by higher taxes on the rich?
Yes 96 42.86%
No 122 54.46%
Unsure 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:32 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Or stop taking it.

All costs in business get past to the consumer. The more running a business costs the more the consumer pays. If the price of the product is too high, the consumer refuses to pay and he company goes out of business, people are fired, etc.

This is pretty basic stuff here.
Well said...absolutely dead on target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Which reduces the cost of products to consumers.
nonsense, prices only drop when a company needs to move product, or if demand is decreasing take an economics course.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Since I'm probably one of those to which you refer above, I will tell you that I have created and operated as CEO and CFO a very successful Construction Corporation, owned and operated 3 sole proprietor businesses which were very successful and overseen 4 non-profits...all at the same time. I have been deeply involved with the responsibility of making all of the above successful for over 50 years. I believe I understand economics better than any College/University professor that has never done my equivalent and probably has never functioned in the real world.

Bottom line...you are wrong.
you clearly don't know crap if you think companies drop prices in response to lower taxes. Are you going to try to tell me that if you got a tax cut you would bid all your jobs at a lower rate? What you bid on a job is what you think you need to bid to get the contract, if don't think you can make money on a job you don't bid on it.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:47 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
nonsense, prices only drop when a company needs to move product, or if demand is decreasing take an economics course.
That is true when their is only one company offering a product. That is the busty of a free market system, any company can come a long and offer a competitive product at a lower price increasing its market share.

It's ok, you can keep trying.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Or stop taking it.

All costs in business get past to the consumer. The more running a business costs the more the consumer pays. If the price of the product is too high, the consumer refuses to pay and he company goes out of business, people are fired, etc.

This is pretty basic stuff here.
not that simple shooter, a business determines the price of it's goods and services on demand, if consumers refuse to buy the product the business quits selling it or drops the price- it has nothing to do with taxes. The cost to make an iphone6 is around $200 and they sell for $649 because a lot of people want them, and Apple has been very clever in determining how 'elastic' that demand is. All manufacturers try to find the sweet spot where they will move as much product as they can produce without flooding the market and causing the price to drop. Apples effective US income tax rate is about 3.7% (see link below) so on the retail price of that phone they paid $24.00. You could raise that to $200 and they would still have a better profit margin than any small to medium US based business will ever see in it's lifetime.

Did Apple decide to lower the price of it's Iphone because they pay less tax than any wage earner in the US? heck no they sold it for what they could get..that's how business works

How Much Money Apple Avoids Paying In Taxes - Business Insider

Old 05-07-2015, 06:58 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Do you tell yourself that so you don't have to admit your failures in life? But continue on with your derogatory rant.

Most millionaires are self made.
How Most Millionaires Got Rich : Discovery News
OMG............no way

you obviously didn't understand my post

Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
I'll vote for Bernie Sanders if that answers your question.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Since I'm probably one of those to which you refer above, I will tell you that I have created and operated as CEO and CFO a very successful Construction Corporation, owned and operated 3 sole proprietor businesses which were very successful and overseen 4 non-profits...all at the same time. I have been deeply involved with the responsibility of making all of the above successful for over 50 years. I believe I understand economics better than any College/University professor that has never done my equivalent and probably has never functioned in the real world.

Bottom line...you are wrong.
You're not one of those people I was referring to, but since we're on the subject, you also did not understand my post. What you're not understanding is that all I'm saying is that without the federal government and a ****pile of regulations, the majority of wealthy people in this country wouldn't be wealthy. There's more to it than I care to write in a single post, but if you're actually what you say you are, then you already know why this is true.

And before you kids get all partisan on me, I'm a fiscal conservative that's made a few bucks in this world as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
not that simple shooter, a business determines the price of it's goods and services on demand, if consumers refuse to buy the product the business quits selling it or drops the price- it has nothing to do with taxes. The cost to make an iphone6 is around $200 and they sell for $649 because a lot of people want them, and Apple has been very clever in determining how 'elastic' that demand is. All manufacturers try to find the sweet spot where they will move as much product as they can produce without flooding the market and causing the price to drop. Apples effective US income tax rate is about 3.7% (see link below) so on the retail price of that phone they paid $24.00. You could raise that to $200 and they would still have a better profit margin than any small to medium US based business will ever see in it's lifetime.

Did Apple decide to lower the price of it's Iphone because they pay less tax than any wage earner in the US? heck no they sold it for what they could get..that's how business works

How Much Money Apple Avoids Paying In Taxes - Business Insider
But other phones have come into the market at a much lower cost. Hipsters buying a product for style points is outside of a normal business model. Most products are fiercely competitive with a make smaller profit margin where a tax change can either 1. Raise price or 2. Cause the product to no longer be sold in the same quantities which leads to a loss of jobs because people are not willing to pay a higher price for a product.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
But other phones have come into the market at a much lower cost. Hipsters buying a product for style points is outside of a normal business model. Most products are fiercely competitive with a make smaller profit margin where a tax change can either 1. Raise price or 2. Cause the product to no longer be sold in the same quantities which leads to a loss of jobs because people are not willing to pay a higher price for a product.
so what if other phones have come on the market, people are still buying iphones, aren't they. Your argument is an epic fail. You said companies will reduce prices with lower taxes and I proved to you what a load of poop that actually is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies