Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government redistribute wealth by higher taxes on the rich?
Yes 96 42.86%
No 122 54.46%
Unsure 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They just asked a question and this is your response. Why?
Because sometimes you guys dont undertsand unless its broken down into something you can relate to, like cookies..
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How many jobs did they destroy, i.e. how many NET jobs have they created?

Has Walmart created positive or negative net American jobs? How about Amazon?
I dont know, you tell me.. Amazon sure has created a hell of a lot of jobs in the shipping industry, thats for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Exactly my point, thank you. But it appeared that the intent here was to create a business solely for the purpose of avoiding tax on wage income.
No one said anything about wage income..

7 Reasons to Incorporate Your Business Now

7. Offers Potential Tax Benefits

In some cases, corporate tax rates are lower than individual tax rates. Corporations and LLCs often qualify for additional tax benefits and deductions that aren’t available to individuals.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:23 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
I completely understand that, and I also know that if you play that game for more than 5 years without generating a net profit in at least one of those years the IRS will probably want to have a talk with you, it's a risky game to play and I would hope that one would at least hire a good CPA who could guide them through the process of at least making this 'business' appear to really have a profit motive. Personally I wouldn't do it.
Yup. My BIL played that game and lost. Big time.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I completely understand that, and I also know that if you play that game for more than 5 years without generating a net profit in at least one of those years the IRS will probably want to have a talk with you, it's a risky game to play and I would hope that one would at least hire a good CPA who could guide them through the process of at least making this 'business' appear to really have a profit motive. Personally I wouldn't do it.
I've got NUMEROUS corporations setup for the sole purpose of losing money.. They were designed to do that for 15 years. I've been audited and never had an issue with it.

Reason, ITS LEGAL, and ITS HONEST.. Despite what you wish it to be, there is nothing wrong with it and as soon as you start to actually read what I'm saying, you'll understand how high tax rates encourage the growth of wealth for "the rich" and will cause them to "not pay their fair share"...

Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,040 times
Quote:
you clearly don't know crap if you think companies drop prices in response to lower taxes. Are you going to try to tell me that if you got a tax cut you would bid all your jobs at a lower rate? What you bid on a job is what you think you need to bid to get the contract, if don't think you can make money on a job you don't bid on it.
Again, you have no understanding. Business figures the "percentage" of net after expenses needed to satisfy owners or stockholders. Prices are based on that percentage which takes ALL costs in total. Taxes are just a figure is added in that total. You really need experience in the area of business operation...education will never take the place of actual experience and responsibility.

Last edited by lorrysda; 05-08-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:

Then why you complain? The "loophole" exists for you to explore too not just for the rich.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
You're not one of those people I was referring to, but since we're on the subject, you also did not understand my post. What you're not understanding is that all I'm saying is that without the federal government and a ****pile of regulations, the majority of wealthy people in this country wouldn't be wealthy. There's more to it than I care to write in a single post, but if you're actually what you say you are, then you already know why this is true.

And before you kids get all partisan on me, I'm a fiscal conservative that's made a few bucks in this world as well.
I'm not sure I totally agree with your first statement. I believe the free enterprise economy without a ****pile of government regulations would produce many more wealthy people...just a different segment of the population who also incorporate morality, decency, appreciation and understanding of America and total responsibility for their actions. Actually, I would add that many of those to whom you refer would also be happy to not have to do whatever it takes to diminish the depression of government regulations.

I sincerely am of the position that government regulations do nothing but get in the way and cause business to find ways around the messes those government regulations cause. Business has to make a profit for owners and/or stockholders or business goes out of business. Profitable business creates jobs and business that is smothered and choked by governments regulations and can't find a way around them (some ethically/morally and others not so clean) go out of business and jobs are lost.

I do agree that we cannot discuss all the problems depressing business and where they come from on this forum. It would take a book and basically, unless one has had the experience of being very deeply involved in the business world at a level where that make-or-break (financially) line is, it would be very difficult if not impossible for those without said experience to truly understand.

Bottom line...all levels of government need to stay out of business in our free economy. At this time I include taxation of income and advocate going to consumption tax. Income tax was imposed back in the late 1890's, if I remember correctly, and was overturned because it was known then it was a very bad idea. Not sure why in the world we ever imposed it again in the 19teens but guess WWI got in the way of clear thinking.

Last edited by lorrysda; 05-08-2015 at 07:59 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
so what if other phones have come on the market, people are still buying iphones, aren't they. Your argument is an epic fail. You said companies will reduce prices with lower taxes and I proved to you what a load of poop that actually is
Aha! But you are leaving out the fact that, for instance, "Obama phones" are bought by the government to give away as freebies. Government employees are provided with government-purchased phones, computers, etc. Anytime the government gets involved, in this case purchasing products, the price sky rockets because it is the government giving away tax payer $'s. Never fails. So your argument is not based on the reality of free enterprise.

Last edited by lorrysda; 05-08-2015 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 08:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Then they shouldn't be entitled to any federal benefits.
I'm poor and I pay PLENTY of Federal Taxes, I don't know where you all are getting this idea that the poor don't pay taxes.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:12 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Government PROTECTION isnt government assistance... When you learn that, you'll stop making stupid ass postings..
Government protection IS government assistance. You can say it. It's OK, the conservative police won't come and take your card away brother.

Honestly, if you don't think you need it, take your business to Sub-Sahara Africa.

Small government, low taxes, great place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies