Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government redistribute wealth by higher taxes on the rich?
Yes 96 42.86%
No 122 54.46%
Unsure 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 AM

39,199 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nope. I just dont feel up to debating the nonsense with you. My allergies are acting up, and I have a headache.

So in return, you agree that you are a liar then since you said "until 1913", not "in 1913"? If so....why would I debate a liar?
a liar?

LOL there is no need for personal attack.

Ron Paul says federal income tax rate was 0 percent until 1913

read that article, rather fascinating

Ron Paul says federal income tax rate was 0 percent until 1913 | PolitiFact Texas

by the way, hope you feel better. Allergy can be annoying. I have it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 12:41 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
a liar?

LOL there is no need for personal attack.

Ron Paul says federal income tax rate was 0 percent until 1913

read that article, rather fascinating

Ron Paul says federal income tax rate was 0 percent until 1913 | PolitiFact Texas
sorry but if it is factually untrue, thats a lie. It was not meant as a personal attack. Go read your link. It points out exactly what I was referring too. Theres also a bunch of stuff involving how we funded ourselves that I would have to research...basically in the end governments require money to function, they can get that via import taxes, printing, or income taxes...but in the end it comes down to us providing it one way or another. Debating if the spending levels are correct is far more useful then trying to go back and claim that there was no income via a income tax reference, which at best is half true as per the link you provided.

Quote:
by the way, hope you feel better. Allergy can be annoying. I have it too.
My condolences. this sucks pretty bad. the weathers all nice...but I know what that means. It makes it hard to concentrate. And makes me grumpy.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:46 AM

39,199 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
sorry but if it is factually untrue, thats a lie. It was not meant as a personal attack. Go read your link. It points out exactly what I was referring too. Theres also a bunch of stuff involving how we funded ourselves that I would have to research...basically in the end governments require money to function, they can get that via import taxes, printing, or income taxes...but in the end it comes down to us providing it one way or another. Debating if the spending levels are correct is far more useful then trying to go back and claim that there was no income via a income tax reference, which at best is half true as per the link you provided.

My condolences. this sucks pretty bad. the weathers all nice...but I know what that means. It makes it hard to concentrate. And makes me grumpy.
It is okay. By the way, I've re-read that article couple of times. And you are indeed accurate. I also agree with the bolded.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Student loan debt is now 1.2 trillion dollars. Last year the Government made 50 billion on the interest and private banks made 150 billion. Isn't that another 'tax' on the middle class? I doubt if many trust fund babies have to worry about going in debt for 10 years in order to go to college. Is that 'fair'? Are these kids who have to incur huge amounts of debt to get an education 'takers' and should they pay for the 'makers' kid's to go to school? Because it looks to me like that is what is happening. That 150 billion interest in private loans went into someones pocket and it sure wasn't mine; so my guess is that it paid for a bunch of rich kids Harvard and Stanford degrees. The system is whack..why this has to end up being a partisan issue really puzzles me.
I am a trust fund recipient and it is a daily struggle to keep what is mine otherwise the fed would siphon it off. That money is taxed already yet the fed feels they are entitled to a 2nd or third bite at that apple.

So I generate tax credits to keep what is mine.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:22 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
According to a new Gallop poll, 52% of Americans want to heavily tax the rich to redistribute wealth
Well, people always want to get more by doing less, so this doesn't surprise me. I guess it's just too difficult to work harder so they can accumulate more wealth.... It's far easier to weaponise government and orchestrate a mass theft.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:05 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No. That said: go to a Consumption Tax and the rich will end up paying more just through their own lifestyle.
Damn. We agree on something!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:43 AM

26,461 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
According to a new Gallop poll, 52% of Americans want to heavily tax the rich to redistribute wealth: 45% of Americans don't.

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gal...a6lb2qf7yg.gif

Americans Continue to Say U.S. Wealth Distribution Is Unfair

Enough is enough.The economy needs higher taxes on the rich. It's the only way it works.

Do you think our government should or should not redistribute wealth by heavy taxes on the rich?
You are misleading a bit.

We already tax the rich to redistribute wealth. How is it that a third of families make a profit on the income tax. How is it that so many families get government assistance?

Heavy is also vague and subjective. I would answer yes, we should have a progressive tax structure. I would also answer no, we should not move to a KingFish style tax plan.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
According to a new Gallop poll, 52% of Americans want to heavily tax the rich to redistribute wealth: 45% of Americans don't.

Enough is enough.The economy needs higher taxes on the rich. It's the only way it works.

Do you think our government should or should not redistribute wealth by heavy taxes on the rich?
the rich and middleclass are already taxed too much

Old 05-06-2015, 04:57 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:

Here we go again.

And, again, the rich will most likely be those EARNING $250K and up annually. Interesting, too, that close to 50% pay no Federal income tax, anyway. We have said that, as that number increases, they'll just keep voting for the gub-ment to confiscate our money and give it to them.

You are right about one thing: Enough is enough... Quit coveting other people's stuff.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
You clearly didn't check anything academic. It is consumer demand that creates jobs.

tax-cuts-for-the-rich[/b]-dont-create-many-jobs-but-what-about-tax-hikes/]Tax Cuts For The Rich Don't Create Many Jobs, But What About Tax Hikes?

Lower income households have a higher Marginal Propensity to Consume (MPC), while high income households have a lower MPC. The MPC of lower income households (-$35,000) are 3x higher than high income households ($200,000+)

http://www.ncsl.org/Portals/1/Docume...Inequality.pdf
again the 01/03 tax cuts (aka the 'bush' tax cuts)...were more towards the poor and middleclass

the rich got less of any cuts than the poor and middleclass

but everytime the freaking liberals say tax the rich...they end up taxing the middleclass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies