Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's not funny. It's true. You don't understand libertarianism.
Yes, all of these bad things that people talk about happening won't happen.
Only the good things will happen.
If bad things happen, they are already happening but worse under the current system.

See?
I understand it perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Yes, all of these bad things that people talk about happening won't happen.
Only the good things will happen.
If bad things happen, they are already happening but worse under the current system.

See?
I understand it perfectly.
The bail outs wouldn't happen. The jails wouldn't be full of people over minor violations. We wouldn't attack other countries over false pretenses.

What is wrong with leaning that way?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Wars all over the place. Bail outs. Bankruptcies. Cities on fire and people getting their heads bashed in. Mayors getting upset because they aren't getting their piece of the action but somehow looking at things a little differently is somehow bad.
Looking at things differently doesn't automatically mean supporting Libertarianism.
There are plenty of ways to look at things differently.

It's easy to look at the problems of the world and say 'We would have done better' when you're supporting something that has never been tried. Communists do exactly the same thing.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The bail outs wouldn't happen. The jails wouldn't be full of people over minor violations. We wouldn't attack other countries over false pretenses.

What is wrong with leaning that way?
Global warming would be a hoax. Cigarettes wouldn't kill people. Guns would make everyone safer. Cancer would be cured. People on welfare would get jobs. Businesses would pay fare wages. The rich would be more charitable than ever. World peace would be announced. Jesus would come back to Earth and say 'good job'. All of the statists would realize that you were right all along...

Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Looking at things differently doesn't automatically mean supporting Libertarianism.
There are plenty of ways to look at things differently.
And yet the vast majority never do. Call it what you want. If the word offends you call it the mind your own business party.

Quote:
It's easy to look at the problems of the world and say 'We would have done better' when you're supporting something that has never been tried. Communists do exactly the same thing.
Sort of sucks to say not invading counties over bogus claims has never been tried, doesn't it?

As others have pointed out, I don't think you actually understand what you are complaining about. I point out some of what I believe are positive examples. You didn't seem to think otherwise but its still bad?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
+1 my friend that was well worth a read! Cracking up laughing. Libertarianism is for pot heads and hippies. Its just not able to work in a real society and never will.

Yep! Only for potheads and hippies. I guess we Americans really aren't ready to get back to the promoting of individual liberties, a fiscally responsible federal government,and getting back to adhering to that outdated rag the US Constitution!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
I don't even need to describe a liberal society as one only needs to look at the North Korea. LOL

Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
What a bunch of nonsense. Libertarians shooting heroin? They might advocate for decriminalization and for not putting non-violent drug offenders in prison. But I don't know a single person who considers themselves libertarian that takes heroin or any other hard drug. And I thought lefties were also in favor of a more humane drug policy. Apparently their principles don't count for much when it comes to making political attacks on those they disagree with.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
What a bunch of nonsense. Libertarians shooting heroin? They might advocate for decriminalization and for not putting non-violent drug offenders in prison. But I don't know a single person who considers themselves libertarian that takes heroin or any other hard drug. Now, reefer? That's a different story.
It's not just legalization, it's the marketing and profiteering that would inevitably result under the libertarian system. The heroin companies would simply do what tobacco did and buy scientists, have them state that the health risks were greatly underestimated, and aggressively market the stuff to whoever wanted it.

You don't do heroin because you live in a society informed by publicly funded science.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't even need to describe a liberal society as one only needs to look at the North Korea. LOL
No, I look at Denmark. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies