Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The people that blame Obama for every single problem under the sun. Bad weather it's Obama's fault, can't get a job Obama's fault, back pain Obama's fault. It's quite comical. Some people invoke Obama's name for everything.
Did you criticize the people who did the same thing to Bush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
You really have to ask that question.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yeah, I expect Obama will come out and explain the bill of rights to the idiot reporter any time now. When is his next press conference anyway?
Oh look! A sounder of pigs just flew over my house.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Here is what he said from the link itself.

Quote:
As a person who has lived in this country for most of my life, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with any of these groups holding events like this, or doing events like that. It doesn’t on a personal level offend me, it does not offend my faith, it does not offend my sensibilities. I don’t pay much attention to the group. I know America is a very diverse, pluralistic place. A lot of people have a lot of ideas. I also know a lot of people have, unfortunately, misunderstandings of the religion [photo of Pam Geller appears], and it’s reflected all the time in the debate. But you have to have tough skin when you live in this country to understand that.

I do wonder sometimes if we as a society have a double standard about what we accept as free speech, and whether or not we apply the term of free speech to all groups, all minorities, all different political views with the same equal rigor. Do we uphold it as a society; do we uphold it from a law perspective. I think that sometimes is misunderstood.

You know, we are able to relate to things in this country in the context of how we understand them — when it comes to issues of race I don’t think any American would be happy with a conference held depicting black people or African-Americans in a negative light. I don’t think it would be acceptable for many Americans. Would it be tolerated, would it legally be accepted — I think that’s also sometimes up for a question.

So I think because we can’t necessarily relate to the issue of Islam, we can’t relate to it on a public level, as well, there is this perspective where it’s simply viewed from freedom of speech — and again, I emphasize as somebody who works in journalism, as somebody who believes wholeheartedly in this right as a fundamental principle, I have no problem with it, and I would not in any way, shape or form prevent it from happening, but….

I would also raise questions about the larger context in the United States and whether or not we are applying a double standard to what is considered “hate speech” when it comes to Muslims. I feel that sometimes Muslims in America have become the last group in which public official, organizations and others are allowed to publicly demean, ridicule this group, in ways we don’t do it with other groups per se.
What in that quote does anyone actually disagree with ?????

Old 05-06-2015, 09:25 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I haven't seen anything from Obama that would suggest he has a negative opinion of Catholics.
Then you haven't been paying attention. He, through his Affordable Care Act, has been trying to force Catholics and other Christians to violate their consciences by compelling them to pay for other peoples' contraceptives. And let's not forget his "bitter clingers" put-down of religious Pennsylvanians.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
You are trying to make an apples to apples comparison when the poster you are responding to would see your post as apples to oranges.

Asking your question would be irrelevant because you see the circumstances differently.During President Bush's Presidency, the economy came crashing down like a tone of bricks. U3 went over 9%(feb 2009), U6 was over 15%(Feb 2009), before President Obama could even take office. those numbers spiked in 2009 at over 10% and at 17.4%.

in short, the economies went in opposite directions during the 2 administrations you are trying to compare.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Then you haven't been paying attention. He, through his Affordable Care Act, has been trying to force Catholics and other Christians to violate their consciences by compelling them to pay for other peoples' contraceptives. And let's not forget his "bitter clingers" put-down of religious Pennsylvanians.
Asking businesses to provide health insurance to their employers isnt showing a hatred of their religion. Their are religions that are against blood transfusions; Heck, there are religions that are against western medicine entirely. Do you believe he hates all of them too ?????????

And if you actually knew the Context of the bitter clingers comment, then you would know how wrong you are, but seeing the first half of your comment, you likely dont care.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Quote:
The people that blame Obama for every single problem under the sun. Bad weather it's Obama's fault, can't get a job Obama's fault, back pain Obama's fault. It's quite comical. Some people invoke Obama's name for everything. And I seriously doubt you voted for him last election but that's besides the point. I haven't seen anything from Obama that would suggest he has a negative opinion of Catholics. Your argument seems to be based off a false equivalence.
Somewhat true. However, Obama just blames it all on Bush anyway

Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Somewhat true. However, Obama just blames it all on Bush anyway
I think his comment is more about the legitimacy, rather than the simple statement of blame .

Old 05-06-2015, 09:53 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
He has a point. Kids get expelled from college, fraternities closed, for singing songs using a single word considered offensive. TV and radio personalities have their careers destroyed for a similar slip of the tongue. But free speech applies when it comes to goading Muslims. Maybe we will reach a point where bigotry hiding behind the 1st Amendment is not tolerated by civil society - no matter the target. It is not a question of following the Constitution. It is about following the Golden Rule. We obviously have a ways to go on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies