Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Personally, I think they gave us McCain, b/c Obama was wanted in....they knew McCain wouldn't be voted in....
I liked McCain very much. He had years of experience in national politics. He had bucked his own party on numerous occasions when he didn't agree with their agenda, and that, to me, bespoke a level of integrity that I respected. I recognized that he was a politician, and that during his campaign that he would have to shift his rhetoric further to the right to win the nomination, and then back towards the center to win the election. I expect these shifts during Presidential campaigns, and to me they don't reflect on integrity, they are a reflection of pragmatism, the kinds of decisions that have to be made to win the Presidency. I recognize, as well, that 90% of the policies advanced by Presidential candidates will go nowhere, because the legislature makes law, not the Presidents.

I was prepared to like Sarah Palin, and I still think she's a very politically savvy, ambitious woman who represents the viewpoints of millions of Americans. I think she's a master of crafting catchphrases, of boiling down her ideas to simple phrases. My issue is that at this political level, ideas shouldn't be simple. Catchphrases give us glimpses into a candidate's opinions and directions and goals, but candidates should be able to discuss their opinions, ideas and goals with the level of complexity that these ideas merit. We didn't find that kind of discussion with Palin, I think because she didn't want to go there. Not because she couldn't but because she intuitively understands that when the discourse becomes detailed, that it opens the candidate up to a lot more criticism, that facts are checked point by point, and that's a potential minefield for any candidate.

However, at some point, candidates have to be prepared to go there. The American people deserve to know what a candidate stands for, really, in detail, no one-liners. And that is the job of journalists, to push candidates to share this information.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:32 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
My major beef with Carson, as with all Tea Party types, is that they are too big on social conservatism. People outside of flyover country don't really care about abortion and gay marriage anymore, they are non-issues nowadays.
I don't care about them either.....

You cannot control people, and that is the problem with a lot of people, you cannot dictate to others how they should live their lives, right or wrong....period...I don't like what some of my friends have done, or what they believe in, however, I cannot tell them how to live....Abortion and Gay life, isn't my concern, it's their choice....and I'll be damn after all the mistakes I've made with my own life, that I'm going to tell people it's wrong, b/c that's what I believe....no sir...that is between them and their God, and none of my business.....do I believe in either one, NO I DON'T, however, that is my choice....its none of my business in a free country, to tell them what to do in their bedrooms....and the abortion part, Abortions have been around since the beginning of time, there was a time when women were so desperate, they'd get coat hanger abortions when they were illegal...so...if that is what they want, there is no law that will keep them from it, b/c you'll always have someone performing illegal abortions. Period.

What I care about is......our country's educational system, it's open borders, our giving so much money away to different countries, our giving so much money away to people in this country who refuse to become Americans....or to people who live on food stamps and Welfare Check....I'm for helping people learn how to get back to work...and take care of themselves....there are times when people need help, but to live off of Welfare does nothing to help America.

I'm for educating children to become good parents....responsible parents...

Get rid of Income Tax, make every one pay one fee straight across the board....

Lets get this country in order before we go over to other countries and tell them how to live....you can't....you can't change people....or make them do, what isn't in their culture to do....

anyone who wishes to add more, please do, cuz right now can't think of everything.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I liked McCain very much. He had years of experience in national politics. He had bucked his own party on numerous occasions when he didn't agree with their agenda, and that, to me, bespoke a level of integrity that I respected. I recognized that he was a politician, and that during his campaign that he would have to shift his rhetoric further to the right to win the nomination, and then back towards the center to win the election. I expect these shifts during Presidential campaigns, and to me they don't reflect on integrity, they are a reflection of pragmatism, the kinds of decisions that have to be made to win the Presidency. I recognize, as well, that 90% of the policies advanced by Presidential candidates will go nowhere, because the legislature makes law, not the Presidents.

I was prepared to like Sarah Palin, and I still think she's a very politically savvy, ambitious woman who represents the viewpoints of millions of Americans. I think she's a master of crafting catchphrases, of boiling down her ideas to simple phrases. My issue is that at this political level, ideas shouldn't be simple. Catchphrases give us glimpses into a candidate's opinions and directions and goals, but candidates should be able to discuss their opinions, ideas and goals with the level of complexity that these ideas merit. We didn't find that kind of discussion with Palin, I think because she didn't want to go there. Not because she couldn't but because she intuitively understands that when the discourse becomes detailed, that it opens the candidate up to a lot more criticism, that facts are checked point by point, and that's a potential minefield for any candidate.

However, at some point, candidates have to be prepared to go there. The American people deserve to know what a candidate stands for, really, in detail, no one-liners. And that is the job of journalists, to push candidates to share this information.
FABULOUS POST, even if I don't agree....this gave me some points to think about, thank you.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
residinghere2007 I agree with this. I like Dr. Carson on a personal level but I don't take him serious politically and that mostly has to do with the comment he made above about ACA/Obamacare being worse than slavery.
Yes, it is...all Obamacare is, was to appease the insurance companies....he cared nothing about Americans...it was all about business, but of course, nothing personal.

Quote:
but I do agree with this. He is intelligent but not electable. I think he could serve the country better and get his feet wet in politics in a more suitable way than jumping into presidential politics. As it stands right now, I would not vote for him and I'm an independent in Ohio so my vote truly matters lol. I think he is too far right on many of his views.
well you could be right, but I see him as the type of man who would sit down and weigh his options....sometimes a good leader has to make unpopular decisions. And to me, after what we've had for the past what, 16 years, did us more damage then good, and those people were some what experienced...I don't believe it's as difficult to run the country as they would have you believe....a good President will choose good people underneath him and its the people underneath that will make him look good....excluding Obama. And remember for me, the jury is still out with Carson.

Quote:
Obama had more experience in politics than Carson. People on the right like to claim inexperience for Obama but he had at least held elected offices in Illinois and the senate in DC prior to becoming president so he was experienced in the inner workings of public office.
Yes, he did, and look at what we've become?

Quote:
I get people didn't like that he didn't have "executive experience" but Carson has no political experience at all so a comparison to Obama is not one that can be made.
I don't think it's about experience, as much as it's about his beliefs....and like I said, a good man like that will choose good people for advisors, not people who haven't had much experienced, or minorities who know nothing. What matters now, in this day and age, are good men, who possess good values, b/c everything, including all our systems have gone corrupt....Obama did nothing about cleaning that up, did he....his biggest accomplishment in his eyes was the Obamacare and that was for the Insurance companies, they told him what they wanted.

Quote:
I voted for Obama twice and don't think he's a horrible president and honestly don't get why people on the right despise and hate him so much. He has been involved the least of all presidents in my life time in political scandals. He has been commander in chief during a period of extreme economic growth, also contrary to what many conservatives believe. Our country is very well placed economically compared to the rest of the industrialized world so again, I just don't get it. Do I agree with him on everything or like everything he does...heck no! But to say he is the worse president ever or deny that our economy has rebounded since the recession/depression of 2007-2010 is pretty silly IMO.
I voted for him once, and never again, but that's another thread.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They are trying to dig the dirt on him.... The problem is, he is clean as a whistle.
Unlike The Hill.
Carson's undoing won't be any dirt. He doesn't have dirt. He opens his mouth and compares things to slavery and nazi germany. He opens his mouth and says, yea, this population of the nation is terrible.

He opens his mouth about what he believes. And no one outside of the extreme right is going to vote for him, who also grapple with racism, will vote for him.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Megadell Carson's undoing won't be any dirt. He doesn't have dirt. He opens his mouth and compares things to slavery and nazi germany. He opens his mouth and says, yea, this population of the nation is terrible.
doesn't matter if he has dirt or not, if he doesn't they'll make up something....and yes, I totally agree with him, you have to be afraid any more to say something....it's happened to me, I said or wrote something, that was misconstrued by me and the readers...and boom, automatically I am a racist, which happened to me on 3 different occasions....and guess what....I go to a predominate black church, and have a black minister, and hob nob with blacks.....and I am not a racist....my gosh, I've seen so many people in here, call Obama a racist, b/c they don't believe in his belief system, that has got to stop.
I once told a story about a very kind and loving Jewish mother, who when we'd go camping we'd all sit around and she'd tell the funniest Jewish stories, and loved her dearly....but I was called a racist...for telling that story??????" Its got to stop.

Quote:
He opens his mouth about what he believes. And no one outside of the extreme right is going to vote for him, who also grapple with racism, will vote for him.
I am registered Independent....I am extremely conservative, in thoughts about family, raising children, and freedom of speech, the right to bear arms...I'm sick and tired of being told I have to accept Spanish, and every other language, this is America, if you come here to live, you speak English and become a working citizen of the U.S. Period.

I'm for cleaning this country up of it's corruption...b/c if you look back in history, when did every great nation fail? When they became immoral and corrupt, and we are there....everyone feels entitled, even if that means they speed....laws are laws, and if people can't obey the traffic laws, then the rest of our country is in trouble. Everyone talks on the phone when they are driving, or they text while they are driving and to heck with everyone else!!!!! I'm sick of it....

Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well of course, that is human, your not going to agree with everything he believes in? do you believe in everything your mother believes in, or your father or your spouse....

I believe Gay is a choice, but I also believe there are some, and I say some, who were born with more of the opposite sex...so what, does that say I wouldn't be able to run a country?
Then why do people choose to be gay. Because they found that gay sex feels better and is more fun?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then why do people choose to be gay. Because they found that gay sex feels better and is more fun?
I don't know, nor do I care???? It's not an issue with me....you want to know that ask a person who is gay....
I have gay friends, not many, but a couple lived in our neighborhood, and I told them, I don't care what your life style is, as long as you respect my wishes and never come on to me....that is your business...not mine....and we will get along fine....and we did.

gay people have a lot to offer, if others would give them a chance, but to hate a gay b/c their gay and not even know them...bull.

Like I said, that is between their God and them...and not for me to judge.

then why do we see some animals mounting the same sex, two female dogs, or two cows, etc....or another species all together, "I don't know!"

Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Dr. Carson is an extremely intelligent man. He is a deep thinker. He has great character and would do much for the image of the black race. This man is exceptional in his reasoning . He possesses a soul that is wise, and his love for people and country is seen in his words.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I like Mr. Carson a lot. He comes across as a very decent and intelligent man. But no political experience and lacking the phoniness needed to woo the celebrity-obsessed voters....makes him very much a longshot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies