Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

15x for the first round where I am on call. Never made the lottery so never had to go in.

Last year, I declined. I live about 15 minutes from a county court house. Instead, I was called to serve at a county court that would have required me to make a 3 hour each way commute on public transportation, drive or walk a mile to the train, train to Chicago and 2 buses to the court house. Sorry, that's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
LOL. What I always heard was that no one wants a journalist on a jury. Well, I was a journalist the single time i was called and I told them, but they took me anyway. So I kinda doubt a lot of these urban myths about what lawyers want and don't want.
Urban myths, indeed.

Depends on the case.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
DC residents get summoned every year it seems. I sat on a jury once for an assault and theft case. Took about a month and I would go into work after hours 3 times a week to keep that ship afloat.

The day of the final deliberations, I was told I was an alternate so I was dismissed. I felt: WTF, after all this I don't get to "vote."

Funny thing, as I was leaving the courthouse, both the prosecuting and defense attorneys (acting like buddies) called me and asked what I thought about the case. I said: "can I even talk to you guys? this seems weird" they said, sure it was standard practice. So I told them: "I thought it was a mistake to put the defendant on the stand, he seemed like he was struggling to read a script and sounded like a guilty man; and the defense's case seemed like a dog n pony show."

They, seemingly in cahoots, looked baffled as I walked away. Our legal system could be worse, but...

Old 05-06-2015, 11:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I served once. I found it interesting. I got called in for a murder trial bit didn't get picked because........I had a job.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I served once. I found it interesting. I got called in for a murder trial bit didn't get picked because........I had a job.
Being unemployed is not a prerequisite to serving on a jury.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
DC residents get summoned every year it seems. I sat on a jury once for an assault and theft case. Took about a month and I would go into work after hours 3 times a week to keep that ship afloat.

The day of the final deliberations, I was told I was an alternate so I was dismissed. I felt: WTF, after all this I don't get to "vote."

Funny thing, as I was leaving the courthouse, both the prosecuting and defense attorneys (acting like buddies) called me and asked what I thought about the case. I said: "can I even talk to you guys? this seems weird" they said, sure it was standard practice. So I told them: "I thought it was a mistake to put the defendant on the stand, he seemed like he was struggling to read a script and sounded like a guilty man; and the defense's case seemed like a dog n pony show."

They, seemingly in cahoots, looked baffled as I walked away. Our legal system could be worse, but...
some cases they will empanel a few alternate jurors so that if there is a problem with a juror or two, they dont have to call a mistrial and start all over again. when the case goes to the jury, the alternates are dismissed.

as for the attorneys, both sides pretty much know each other because they see each other a lot on a professional basis, and some will see each other socially as well. and it is common practice for the attorneys to speak to the jurors after the case, especially in civil cases, to get the jurors opinions of the case, and why they voted the way they did. it helps the lawyers the next time they are in court. like any good professional they are always looking for ways to improve their game.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Well, I am educated and served on a medical malpractice jury. The rest of the jurors were employed, self-employed or educated as well, so that blows hawkeyes opinion out of the water.

I enjoyed it, but I have to admit that I needed a break from my job at the time. I found the whole process interesting.

We found in favor of the doctors.
In criminal cases it is the prosecutions that wants gullible jurors to follow along with with story of the prosecution, while the defense wants critical thinking jurors to find reasonable doubt.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Those lawyers ask all sorts of questions for varying reasons.
What if the case was about a professionally unemployed on welfare person ?
Having a job might bias you.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Its why I wasn't picked though. Some time later one of the defense lawyers came in to where I worked. I asked him about it. He said it was because I held a job and if the case drug out they were afraid I would get antsy and blame the defendant for my lost wages.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:46 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
In criminal cases it is the prosecutions that wants gullible jurors to follow along with with story of the prosecution, while the defense wants critical thinking jurors to find reasonable doubt.
a fairly true general statement, however there are exceptions. for instance one of the first cases i was called for was a drug case, the prosecutor asked us if anyone had any background that might affect our decision. in my case my mother was a registered nurse, so i understood something about drugs that are used in the medical field. but at the time i was also racing in the AHRA, and they had a strict no drugs allowed policy. when these facts were made known by me, both lawyers dismissed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies