Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:05 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Not in general, but I do think that some people game the system and I don't respect people who are unwilling to get over the issues that prevent them from working.
I think in countries where the benefits are more livable/generous some people probably game the system, but SSI for example only gives you the equivalent of working 20 hours a week minimum wage or so at maximum. I can't see how anyone in their right mind would rather be super poor and constantly hounded with paperwork in order to not have the plug pulled, than just find a decent part time job. Unfortunately due to my disability I can't work most retail or kitchen jobs which are the only sorts of job that seem to hire people without degrees these days. I've been looking into call center work recently, hopefully I can handle that better.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 05-06-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I judge them. I think in far too many cases, they refuse to move to find work, and just stick around and sponge. My spouse was case worker, and sometimes she would come home livid, about say, the guy with the $500k house, who was a freelance writer, baldly lied about past income. Blatantly dishonest people were more common than you would think. That said, I am only talking about people who sleaze out or do it for a sustained period. I don't say anything, but I am not impressed.

Glad it is there though, for those who fall on rough times. That can happen to any of us.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:13 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I judge them. I think in far too many cases, they refuse to move to find work, and just stick around and sponge. That said, I am only talking about people who do it for a sustained period. I don't say anything, but I am not impressed. Glad it is there though, for those who fall on rough times.
Often people forget that welfare (the cash portion called TANF) has a 5 year lifetime limit on receiving it. Like you I would prefer people who can work, to do so.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
I judge them, especially when they make poor life choices to get where they are and do nothing to improve their situation.

That is why I am a firm believer for all assistance sans independently verified by a doctor disability claims, to tapper off over time. No one should be on any government assistance program for more than 2 years. If you are on permanent disability you would also be required to complete some form of public good for a handful of hours a week (condition permitting) on a weekly basis. Be it meal on wheels, soup kitchens, or various other tasks where you can sit at a desk.

The above does not apply to social security or Medicare since they are being paid into throughout a lifetime.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Often people forget that welfare (the cash portion called TANF) has a 5 year lifetime limit on receiving it. Like you I would prefer people who can work, to do so.
I work as much as I can myself, but I don't work full time. I tried, but I was literally having meltdowns and panic attacks, and while I'm pretty "book smart" I am VERY slow at learning things like the laundry or putting together silverware. So I'm pretty much useless as an employee in places like restaurants and assisted living homes. I lasted longer as a cashier holding that job for nearly a year but they never gave me more than 5 hours a week!

I can more easily understand quantum mechanics than how to fold a sheet. My disability doesn't render me completely unable to work, but it does "price me out" of a lot of jobs to the point I need SSI to survive, especially in the state I live in where the job market is extremely competitive and you kind of have to take anything you can get.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I judge them, especially when they make poor life choices to get where they are and do nothing to improve their situation.

That is why I am a firm believer for all assistance sans independently verified by a doctor disability claims, to tapper off over time. No one should be on any government assistance program for more than 2 years. If you are on permanent disability you would also be required to complete some form of public good for a handful of hours a week (condition permitting) on a weekly basis. Be it meal on wheels, soup kitchens, or various other tasks where you can sit at a desk.

The above does not apply to social security or Medicare since they are being paid into throughout a lifetime.
Pssst, Disability is SS, hence most of those on it have already paid into it for many years, they are simply drawing a reduced version of their own SS. You can now consider yourself better informed now

Old 05-06-2015, 05:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Pssst, Disability is SS, hence most of those on it have already paid into it for many years, they are simply drawing a reduced version of their own SS. You can now consider yourself better informed now
Traditional Social security that everyone receives and ssdi are different even if ran by the same agency. You know that.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think in countries where the benefits are more livable/generous some people probably game the system, but SSI for example only gives you the equivalent of working 20 hours a week minimum wage or so at maximum. I can't see how anyone in their right mind would rather be super poor and constantly hounded with paperwork in order to not have the plug pulled, than just find a decent part time job. Unfortunately due to my disability I can't work most retail or kitchen jobs which are the only sorts of job that seem to hire people without degrees these days. I've been looking into call center work recently, hopefully I can handle that better.
I'm not really out to take away anyone's means of survival and I don't think that taking it away motivates anyone to improve or get better. But I do know people who can get stuck in a pattern where they see themselves as welfare cases with nothing to offer and aren't being helped to get to where they can feel like their lives are worthwhile and they're contributing to society. And then of course there are the people who don't need welfare but just want the extra money. The problem is that the system isn't designed for people, it's designed for numbers.

I think that welfare should be replaced with a system of public housing where people are fed, clothed, entertained and given the tools they need to better themselves-- including both high school and higher education, daycare, drug rehabilitation, counselling, internships, training, volunteering, etc... basically anything that would make their lives easier and help them to become more employable. Something where they're not just sitting at home waiting for their next welfare check, but are part of a community that is designed to help them overcome their issues and go on to bigger and better things. I don't know why it's acceptable to spend millions on subsidies for private prisons but not to prevent people from turning to crime or to help them to get to where they want to be.

Maybe the problem is that helping people just isn't profitable.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:46 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
None of the above.

I don't "hate" anyone because of their socioeconomic situation in life.

(And the word hate is grossly overused btw)

But I do think that welfare culture has a way of creating dependency over generations and in people who become reliant on it too easily.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Traditional Social security that everyone receives and ssdi are different even if ran by the same agency. You know that.
My wife is on it and I know Exactly what it is and how it works, maybe you should readup on it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies