Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these approximates your feelings towards people on public assistance the most?
I hate them and view them as thugs barely worthy of life 6 3.17%
I resent and dislike them, but don't have any major ill will towards them 12 6.35%
I don't have a problem with people who actually need it, but most of them are liars 76 40.21%
I judge their character for it, but it's not enough to make me dislike them 9 4.76%
I think fraud exists, but most people on welfare are honest and decent 71 37.57%
I think welfare fraud is rare and someone needing a little help gets no judgment from me 15 7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:06 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,196,497 times

Advertisements

It's the number of able-bodied people on food stamps. I resent the system that ships our jobs over seas, ships more people here and immediately puts them on foods stamps to create a permanent dependent class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 08:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,750,375 times
I don't hate anyone....

Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,256,088 times
Support from the public sector, in all forms from Social Security all the way down to SNAP cards, is a feature of an over-developed "post-industrial" economy that is going to be nearly impossible to bring under control. The fact, like it or not, is that a reasonably-functional person, of any age, who makes an effort to play the game by the rules is likely to find some help available from the "safety net". A lot of employers like it too, because it provides a pool of moderately-disciplined labor for all the seasonal or part-time jobs that can't command the "living" wage that the perpetual ne'er-do-wells are always whining about.

I see two problems her that can only intensify over the short run: (1) a problem filling the truly unwanted jobs that have traditionally fallen to a dwindling supply of legal immigrants, and (2) the natural tendency of a bureaucracy to seek to expand its power, staff and budget by finding a bigger "problem" to address --- and a bigger clientele.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,479,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Corporate and banking welfare in the form of bailouts, incentives, subsidies and tax loopholes cost the average American taxpayer far, far more than social programs such as food stamps (SNAP.)

I worked in human services for years in multiple states.

The one issue where I think there is a problem is SSI, mentioned in the OP.

SSI, or Supplemental Security Income is disability payments (capped at an average of $740 per month per recipient) that people who've been declared disabled by the Social Security Administration receive if they have not worked enough to have paid enough into the system to receive SSD (Social Security Disability.)

When working in human services I saw an awful lot of people who received SSI who didn't seem incaoable of working, but it was not my job to judge those things.

Regardless, the biggest welfare drain on us is subsidizing already rich corporations. Yet the "enemy" is painted as the working poor (the majority of families receiving food stamps have at least one adult in the workforce) or the single mother who needs some assistance.
The economies in multiple Appalachian counties are entirely dependent upon SSDI, SNAP, TANF and so on. It's generational. Some of these counties experience more deaths by OD than natural causes. SSDI fraud is legendary in these areas, recipients, lawyers, MDs and judges.

Employment in the mines peaked 90 years ago.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,391,085 times
Default Honestly, do you hate people on public assistance?

To a large extent, public assistance is just another facet of corporate welfare designed to increase profits at taxpayer expense.

Most welfare recipients are working for wages that are too low to live on. Their assistance from the taxpayers allows their employer to continue paying them peanuts.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:12 AM

324 posts, read 269,044 times
I honestly don't like this thread. My husband just had a stroke after over 20 years of driving tractor trailer. He's no able to go back. Between the medications with side effects, speech, memory and motor control issues we have no damn choice. Do I like it no. Does he? He'll no.

At least he's worked his whole life even after being told he would be in a wheel chair by 21.... nope he fought and fought and managed to keep walking with cerebral palsy. At that point it was mild.

Do I need judgment like this poll? No. And it is a bit offensive.

Are there system cheaters. Yes. Like my 32 yr old neighbor that can't work because of a "bad back" but has no problems working on houses for cash. He got SSDI.... but we will have to fight for it. Talk about bull *****.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:49 AM

8,030 posts, read 3,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
But you dont get approved for being a druggie or not managing your money. You get approved based off family size and income. You can be on SSI/SSDI and get $1000 and make all your ends meet. You can work a crappy waitress job and make $1000 and make all your ends meet, its about HOW you do that.

@Biker53 - My circumstances are just we make too much to be on any assistance except Medicaid. We can pay all of our bills and have savings building. We are paying debts ( as i said in my post about a past electric bill). We had been on and off foodstamps/medicaid since 2004.

It does bother me when people take advantage. I know people who do it and it sucks for the rest of us. There should be a better system in place. They have added a work requirement but im sure that still doesnt stop stupid people.
Its not just Food Stamps or Cash Assistance that need reworked- SSI/SSDI ( people take advantage of that too), Child Support, low income housing, etc.

They are all good programs but its a bogged down system. We went from only a handful of groceries taking foodstamps to now you can walk into a gas station like UDF and get an ice cream sundae!
You do not get $1000 on SSI. It is only $733/month. And since there is no way to make 3x the rent to qualify for housing. So, the solution many have shoved at me is to seek out these rooms in a rooming house which would cost way more than the $325/month studios I was trying to get into without even having my own kitchen/bathroom. So, because I am poor I am expected to pay more for less. And it is also the same advice they shove at felons, drug junkies, and people with previous evictions who also have trouble getting a place. So, most people view the disabled with the same disdain they do for felons, drug junkies, and people with previous evictions. And they expect me to have to pay nearly all I get for a single room with no kitchen/bathroom and live among the filth of life.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Corporate and banking welfare in the form of bailouts, incentives, subsidies and tax loopholes cost the average American taxpayer far, far more than social programs such as food stamps (SNAP.)

I worked in human services for years in multiple states.

The one issue where I think there is a problem is SSI, mentioned in the OP.

SSI, or Supplemental Security Income is disability payments (capped at an average of $740 per month per recipient) that people who've been declared disabled by the Social Security Administration receive if they have not worked enough to have paid enough into the system to receive SSD (Social Security Disability.)

When working in human services I saw an awful lot of people who received SSI who didn't seem incaoable of working, but it was not my job to judge those things.

Regardless, the biggest welfare drain on us is subsidizing already rich corporations. Yet the "enemy" is painted as the working poor (the majority of families receiving food stamps have at least one adult in the workforce) or the single mother who needs some assistance.
The maximum is $733/month. That's not an average.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:10 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,635,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
If you found out someone was on food stamps, SSI or unemployment, would your opinion on them change? Would it be similar to finding out they were a murderer, a rapist or a thief, or would you not really think any different of them? Let's say they never disclosed any disability or reason, but you had no reason to think they were cheating the system either.

I don't know why you'd assume that anyone would hate people who are receiving social welfare assistance.

It's sad, but there are a small number of people who would be fat dumb and happy, living below the poverty level, if it meant they did not have to do anything at all, and a day at work was as simple as a walk to the mailbox "hello check," and/or living in their parents house, lounging around all day watching TV and playing computer games.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I don't know why you'd assume that anyone would hate people who are receiving social welfare assistance.

It's sad, but there are a small number of people who would be fat dumb and happy, living below the poverty level, if it meant they did not have to do anything at all, and a day at work was as simple as a walk to the mailbox "hello check," and/or living in their parents house, lounging around all day watching TV and playing computer games.
There are plenty of people who hate those receiving welfare. Try sitting in on a tea party get together, for example. And I was treated as an equal by them until they found out I had received welfare in the past. Then I lost my job and ended up back on welfare and was really attacked then. Nice fine Christian bunch they were, spouting off scripture at me and letting me know how worthless I was/am. I will never forgive any of them for how I was treated, either. Not a single one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies