Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:01 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times

Advertisements

A Associated Press poll.
By a 56% to 40% margin.
6 in 10 Democrats say its more important to protect gay rights.
8 in 10 Republicans say its more important tp protect religious liberties than homosexual rights.
Just a quarter of Americans call gay rights a very or extremely important issue. While half call religious liberties a very or extremely important issue.
You won't read this in the Los Angeles Times.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:17 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
85% of Americans are Christian and only 5-10% are gay. And over 90% of Republicans are Christian so how is this surprising? Or news? This breaks down along party lines. What does this have to do with the Los Angeles Times?

Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
"Homosexual" is generally used by people with a bias against Gays & Lesbians.

The entire fallacy of this poll is the suggestion that rights for Gays & Lesbians has anything to do with religious freedom. It doesn't. Since no link was provided, I'm saying it's nonsense.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:58 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
A Associated Press poll.
By a 56% to 40% margin.
8 in 10 Republicans say its more important tp protect religious liberties than homosexual rights.
Just a quarter of Americans call gay rights a very or extremely important issue. While half call religious liberties a very or extremely important issue.
What religious liberties aren't being protected?

Hell, I've been trying to use that for marijuana and nobody has said anything. Are these Republicans gonna fight for my rights too? Or just their own spiritual beliefs?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What religious liberties aren't being protected?

Hell, I've been trying to use that for marijuana and nobody has said anything. Are these Republicans gonna fight for my rights too? Or just their own spiritual beliefs?
Good question.

And religions w multiple wives?

And Wiccans' rights to orgies in their own backyards?

And Buddhists smoking weed for enlightenment?

Etc

Old 05-07-2015, 06:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
A Associated Press poll.
By a 56% to 40% margin.
The same poll notes that only 40% think that businesses should be allowed to refuse service on religious grounds.

AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced Views on Gay Rights, Religious Liberty - ABC News

And, because no poll is 100% representative, here's another with different results:
Poll: Most Americans choose gay rights over religious freedom | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
A Associated Press poll.
By a 56% to 40% margin.
I won't read it anywhere since you didn't provide a link.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
A Associated Press poll.
By a 56% to 40% margin.
That 40% of Americans think it's more important to protect gay and lesbian rights than religious rights is simply an astounding number IMO. A decade ago, it wouldn't have been 20%. Two decades ago, it might have been 5%. A decade or so early than that, the question wouldn't have dared to be asked as the consensus was that gays and lesbians had no rights society was bound to respect. Ditto on the 25% who consider gay rights a very or extremely important issue. These numbers represent a sea change in societal attitudes in almost a blink of an eye.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I say who cares and why should we. People are people. I have known Christians, Jews, Muslims, Born Again Christians etc.. etc... and I have male and female friends that are gay and guess what I don't care.

What they get up to in the bedroom is their choice but I don't want to hear about it. The same goes for devote or casual worshipers. What you get up to on the weekend is up to you just don't try to convert me.

I think part of the problem in this country is that we are always trying to label people and put them into categories.

Religion. Sexual Preference. Race. None of it should matter and the only category we need is Good or Bad.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That 40% of Americans think it's more important to protect gay and lesbian rights than religious rights is simply an astounding number IMO. A decade ago, it wouldn't have been 20%. Two decades ago, it might have been 5%. A decade or so early than that, the question wouldn't have dared to be asked as the consensus was that gays and lesbians had no rights society was bound to respect. Ditto on the 25% who consider gay rights a very or extremely important issue. These numbers represent a sea change in societal attitudes in almost a blink of an eye.
Most definitely.

Additionally, if government were completely out of things like marriage, there would be no way to have an official system that locked anyone out of marriage.

The less government intrusion in society, the more liberties society has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies