Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That wouldn't be nearly as amusing as looking at Conservitards who think 'Abstinence ONLY' is going to prevent STDs and pregnancy among hormone driven teens.
So when exactly was the last time anyone got pregnant or an STD from abstinence?

Oh about 2016 yrs ago depending on your belief system.

Keep laughing, laughing boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
While I may not agree with the concept, I find it comical that 1 in 15 is enough to declare the entire endeavor a complete failure.

Inner city "stay in school" program raises graduation rate from 50% to 75%? Failure. What a bunch of idiots!

School with active anti-drug program winds up with 1 in 15 drinking in highschool? Oh, better slash that program...now lets all laugh at them.

Really, the lack of critical thinking in this thread is of course partisan related....nothing throws the pack into a frenzy like a good hit piece. (Both sides)

I will enjoy bringing up the 1 in 15 is a failure meme over and over again in the future.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So when exactly was the last time anyone got pregnant or an STD from abstinence?

Oh about 2016 yrs ago depending on your belief system.

Keep laughing, laughing boy.
I AM laughing at those who think abstinence ONLY is practical teaching of horny teens.

I'd sure as hell rather have teens aware of things like condoms and the possible consequences of not using them than live in the FantasyLand of believing in abstinence ONLY.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
I AM laughing at those who think abstinence ONLY is practical teaching of horny teens.

I'd sure as hell rather have teens aware of things like condoms and the possible consequences of not using them than live in the FantasyLand of believing in abstinence ONLY.

Here is a clue chuckles every time it is practiced it works. It's the only method that has a 100 percent success rate.

You think teens are not aware of condoms, STDs and pregnancies? What area code in Fantasyland did you say you lived in? Reality wants to make a call.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,821 times
What's their graduation rate like?

Sounds like this school district is trying to dethrone Chicago as the STD capital of the teen world, or not.

And, did anybody compare this district to a similar district (demographics wise) that teaches sex ed and compare what the rates of infection are?

Last edited by TrafficCory; 05-07-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 08:56 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
"Abstinence is an included part of the mandatory three day sex ed class".

What kind of a retard reads this as "abstinence only" education?

Btw, abstinence should always be a part of sex ed in school.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:01 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
That wouldn't be nearly as amusing as looking at Conservitards who think 'Abstinence ONLY' is going to prevent STDs and pregnancy among hormone driven teens.
Or the *******s thinking that if you hand out condoms at school, the hormone driven teens will use them.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Here is a clue chuckles every time it is practiced it works. It's the only method that has a 100 percent success rate.

You think teens are not aware of condoms, STDs and pregnancies? What area code in Fantasyland did you say you lived in? Reality wants to make a call.
Good point. Tell kids not to have sex, period, and all the STD's go away. Oh wait... that is exactly what this school did.

The point is NOT how effective abstinence is at preventing pregnancy or STD's, the point is that teenagers DO NOT practice abstinence, no matter how much you tell them to. Period.

Your argument would hold a shred of legitimacy if you could somehow prove that teaching abstinence makes teens engage in abstinence, all objective evidence says it doesn't.

But yeah, instead of replying to people for what they said, you can continue to shove your fingers in you ears and attack posters rather than their ideas. (I treat people who plug their ears and repeat themselves until they are blue in the face like children, because that is what children do.)

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Surprise, Surprise.

HuffPo once again lying for page hits.

Here's the real news:
Crane ISD Responds to National Attention About the Number of Chlamydia Cases - CBS 7: Multimedia

Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
the point is that teenagers DO NOT practice abstinence, no matter how much you tell them to. Period.
You cannot seriously make such a blanket statement with a straight face.

I don't support abstinence only but it is an option for SOME and I have no problem with it being presented as an option along side various birthcontrol options. I personally know several people that waited until marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies