Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:41 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,449,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
WRONG!Doesn't also meet: Large big city paper with its own investigative team. That would be a bar the NY Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Tennessean, and many other papers could meet..
The Mail has a investigative team that rivals any news paper.

In terms of being a large city paper.

Daily Mail Printed Circulation = 1,708,006
New York Times Printed Circulation = 1,379,806

So again, by your own standards, the DM is a qualified news source.

-----------------------

Now that that is settled, do you care to actually address the topic, or is this something you hold no interest in?

Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 AM

33,830 posts, read 16,846,399 times
Daily Mail is a Fleet St rag, the same MO the NY Post used in Murdoch's 1st run;

With headlines like (see below)

It is useful, though, if Charmin is not available.

//www.city-data.com/forum/editp...ostid=39531892

When the NYT, Washington Post, or CBS, ABC, or NBC cover it, please post that.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,449,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

It is useful, though, if Charmin is not available.
Ahh. Does this mean then, since the DM actually exceeds all your qualifications for a credible news source, that you simply can't accept the possibility the prosecution might have erred in bringing charges in the Freddy Grey case?

(attacking the messenger instead of the message is what one does when they can't address the message with logical argument)

Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,997,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Do you mean to tell me that the police investigation of police misconduct might favor the police? SHOCKING!
That obvious flaw aside, the police investigation has no bearing on whether or not charges will be dropped. The police don't decide that.
I have no idea why anyone's shocked by this, if true.

I told everyone before that they only charged the cops to quell the violence. Baltimore folks KNOW their residents. Baltimore has ALWAYS been about that life. No "outside agitators" were involved like in Ferguson.

These cops were never going to prison for this. Ever.

If Eric Garner's murderer got off with videotape evidence, then nothing was going to happen with these officers either.

Get ready America. These types of cops interactions will be your future. You either do as the cop says with no back talk or questions and for the love of heaven, PLEASE DON'T ASK FOR THEIR BADGE NUMBER!

You're just asking for a beatdown or killing if you do.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:52 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,233,865 times
And monkeys MAY FLY out of my butt!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:31 AM

9 posts, read 6,147 times
"Deliberately strap him in"... LOL I guess you've never been in the back of a Baltimore paddy wagon. They don't strap anyone in- they just throw them in there cuffed and if they slide around they could care less. Many times detainees will be sitting in the van for hours waiting while the van drives around to different stations picking up prisoners for the ride to central booking. They are in no hurry to get there either. The rights of the detainee aren't on anyone's minds, they could care less how long you wait. Some people sit in central booking for days waiting to see the commissioner, even those who get ROR or who eventually get the charges dropped. Many for nothing more than "loitering" (aka "walking down the street in a particular area during an election year") And once you get to central booking you get to sit in a cell made to hold 3 or 4 people, packed with up to a dozen, for days sometimes, so you have to lay down on the floor that's caked with months worth of **** and other bodily fluids that they hardly ever clean, with a dozen other guys and no toilet paper, and a toilet that may or may not be broken, the whole time you get to listen to hundreds of ghetto individuals yelling and carrying on all night and day, in a cell that reeks of ****, **** and body odor with no clock or TV or anything to do or read other than your charging documents, while you wait for the commissioner to see you. If they didn't take your hoodie you can use that for a pillow, if they did you're stuck trying to sleep on your hands or directly on the **** covered concrete or metal bench; if you're really lucky and it's a slow time of the week you might actually get to stretch out all the way. If you have steel-toe boots or certain models of Timberlands they will take them so you cant beat someone else to death with them, and put you in there in your socks or bare feet, adding to the disgusting smells floating around. Needless to say, by the time you get out your clothes are soiled beyond redemption. If by chance you might happen to have some medical condition or injury, they tell you "you can go to the hospital if you want, but that's just going to delay your processing, so when you get back here you'll have to start waiting all over again" and guess what, most people will just ignore whatever minor injury they have so they don't have to endure that filthy cell a minute longer, and if they should have an open wound that requires stitches, they will give them a band-aid and they can just sit there and bleed all over the cell and subject all the other detainees who visit that cell that month to whatever bloodbourne pathogens they might have. Its no surprise that dozens if not hundreds of people get tuberculosis and hepatitis and god knows what else from that place every year, from a stay of less than 72 hours, for a charge they get ROR'd on. But that's Baltimore for you!

Last edited by cds333; 05-08-2015 at 05:42 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,069,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I have no idea why anyone's shocked by this, if true.

I told everyone before that they only charged the cops to quell the violence. Baltimore folks KNOW their residents. Baltimore has ALWAYS been about that life. No "outside agitators" were involved like in Ferguson.

These cops were never going to prison for this. Ever.

If Eric Garner's murderer got off with videotape evidence, then nothing was going to happen with these officers either.

Get ready America. These types of cops interactions will be your future. You either do as the cop says with no back talk or questions and for the love of heaven, PLEASE DON'T ASK FOR THEIR BADGE NUMBER!

You're just asking for a beatdown or killing if you do.
Nothing is further from the truth ... so I'll break it down
We have gotten to where we actually have an introduction script in our manual.. a checklist of what we are required to say in every static contact

Polite greeting
Identify self ..department ..and station.
Clearly state reason for contact
Obtain citizens credentials and document
Clearly state intended purpose.. cordial contact.. counseling.. cite or arrest
Clearly state how situation will be handled by citizen
Ask citizen if they have any questions
Polite salutation
Leave citizen safe

In any personnel complaint the above nine line is the first thing an investigator checks off

How about you.... how do you say hi to people?... and avoid a "beat down"

Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 AM

581 posts, read 661,540 times
This is BS. These charges won't be dropped.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:54 AM

1,077 posts, read 866,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
This is BS. These charges won't be dropped.
I expect the Judge at the preliminary hearing to hold this over for trial and find there is probable cause.

The BP have stated, they expected a manslaughter charge but not a 2nd degree murder charge.

When you break it down, it does appear to be a depraved heart murder for the inactions/actions led to Freddie Gray's demise.

Never getting this young man medical attention, suffering a damn severed spine and crushed larynx, folks should be outraged in the manner in which this young man was left to die. The long 45 minute ride, when they finally got to their final destination, FG was already in cardiac arrest, not breathing.

To turn a blind eye and deaf ear to those egregious injuries suffered, then I've lost all hope for humanity.

Anyone should welcome an investigation, whatever the results might be.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:11 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,692,780 times
I posted this on another thread about the same subject and it explains why the Baltimore prosecutor's case is in jeopardy:

Ummm, I'm already hearing from my sources that the prosecution of the police is coming apart.

Criminal investigations 101: You never, ever, ever run collateral investigations. You run one investigation and prosecute on behalf of one prosecuting government authority. Two investigations will inevitably result in discrepancies, which defense will use to impugn the singular government authority that is prosecuting. If you do make the mistake of running two investigations, and even though only one government entity prosecutes, that entity has the obligation to release both investigations to the defense. (It's called 'discovery.' In the federal system we had 10 days to accomplish it or face sanctions. I don't know what time limit Maryland law allows.)

What the (not-very-experienced) prosecutor did here was order an 'independent' investigation and charged the police officers based upon its findings. Guess what the official police investigation did? Conflicted with the 'independent' investigation with respect to several very significant findings - like the legality of the knife. Discovery is about to make those discrepancies very public because the police investigation is about to be released as discovery requires. (There are additional facts about the 'independent' investigation that make this even worse, but I don't need to include them here. They will come out on their own.)

And what are the police officers' defense counsels doing? Celebrating.

For everyone who thinks the police really did a bad thing to Mr. Gray, your prosecutor has hosed up the case against the police and your side is almost certainly going to suffer the consequences.

For everyone who thinks the police officers were getting railroaded for political reasons, the prosecutor has shot herself in the foot and your side will almost certainly benefit from her mistakes.

For everyone, what really happened to Mr. Gray may never be truly known because people with agendas improperly involved themselves in what should have been an objective search for the truth.

Personally, I hate it when that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.