U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2015, 11:54 AM
 
52,434 posts, read 22,842,692 times
Reputation: 21055

Advertisements

People who have already decided this case may be in for a rude shock.

Freddie Gray murder charge could be dropped, say officials | Daily Mail Online
Rate this post positively

 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
2,667 posts, read 1,854,285 times
Reputation: 5113
From what I understand, the murder 2 charge is similar to a reckless manslaughter charge. If the prosecution proves that the arresting officers deliberately did not strap the victim in, then conviction would depend on whether the evidence supports a conscious omission (tho not necessarily with intent to kill) or an inadvertent oversight.

The prosecution is hoping for at least a compromise verdict, in which the officers may be acquitted of the more serious charges, but are convicted of some lesser offense, such as false arrest. They can then claim a victory. Its a real gamble, because the court could dismiss the serious charges after the prosecution's case, make the State look bad, and possibly turn some members of the jury against the prosecution for perceived overreaching. Its also questionable whether the Baltimore public will accept a lesser conviction -- now that they've heard the word "murder" -- and will take to the streets again if they don't get just that.

The article mentions a change of venue. I think that will also be a real issue because of all the negative publicity in Baltimore.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 767,609 times
Reputation: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
From what I understand, the murder 2 charge is similar to a reckless manslaughter charge. If the prosecution proves that the arresting officers deliberately did not strap the victim in, then conviction would depend on whether the evidence supports a conscious omission (tho not necessarily with intent to kill) or an inadvertent oversight.

The prosecution is hoping for at least a compromise verdict, in which the officers may be acquitted of the more serious charges, but are convicted of some lesser offense, such as false arrest. They can then claim a victory. Its a real gamble, because the court could dismiss the serious charges after the prosecution's case, make the State look bad, and possibly turn some members of the jury against the prosecution for perceived overreaching. Its also questionable whether the Baltimore public will accept a lesser conviction -- now that they've heard the word "murder" -- and will take to the streets again if they don't get just that.

The article mentions a change of venue. I think that will also be a real issue because of all the negative publicity in Baltimore.



OP says charges may be dropped and that truly would be up to the judge at the preliminary hearing on 5/27.

Of course, the suspended officers would want everyone to believe they did nothing wrong to cause the death of FG with a severed spine and crushed larynx. Anyone should welcome the investigation into that death.

This truly is putting the cart before the horse.

What happens when the judge says, there is probable cause to move forward. Trial dates are.

SMH
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:30 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,190 posts, read 2,821,743 times
Reputation: 5262
Do you mean to tell me that the police investigation of police misconduct might favor the police? SHOCKING!
That obvious flaw aside, the police investigation has no bearing on whether or not charges will be dropped. The police don't decide that.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:36 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 767,609 times
Reputation: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Do you mean to tell me that the police investigation of police misconduct might favor the police? SHOCKING!
That obvious flaw aside, the police investigation has no bearing on whether or not charges will be dropped. The police don't decide that.
Police policing the police..LOL


Would anyone expect them to come right out and say, yes we are responsible for FG's death.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Self explanatory
12,613 posts, read 6,202,899 times
Reputation: 16717
Perhaps a source better than the Daily Mail, a tabloid, would be better, but I can't seem to find anything out there.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
2,667 posts, read 1,854,285 times
Reputation: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Do you mean to tell me that the police investigation of police misconduct might favor the police? SHOCKING!
That obvious flaw aside, the police investigation has no bearing on whether or not charges will be dropped. The police don't decide that.
Of course, only the court can dismiss charges.

I have to say though, I'd be surprised if the local police investigation in this case is not accurate and thorough. There is too much public scrutiny for anyone to cut corners. Mistakes would be discovered, and anyone messing with the evidence would probably be indicted as well; at the least they can kiss their career goodbye. This is particularly true since no one at th9is time knows whether the U.S. Dept of Justice Civil Rights Division will ultimately be asked to review the evidence.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
 
52,434 posts, read 22,842,692 times
Reputation: 21055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Of course, the suspended officers would want everyone to believe they did nothing wrong to cause the death of FG with a severed spine and crushed larynx. Anyone should welcome the investigation into that death. .
Would you say more so than the prosecutor who wants everyone to believe they did? Or Less?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 PM
 
52,434 posts, read 22,842,692 times
Reputation: 21055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Perhaps a source better than the Daily Mail, a tabloid, would be better, but I can't seem to find anything out there.
Please feel free to post it. However MSNBC & CNN don't count.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-07-2015, 01:19 PM
 
2,066 posts, read 2,383,240 times
Reputation: 2450
Not surprising. The charges were utterly trumped up. The six police involved (three black, by the way) were not in the wagon beating up Freddie Gray. Nor can they stop a 5150 from hurting himself if he is hell bent on it.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top