Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I totally agree. I'd like to be a lion but, even if I dress as one, that won't make me an actual lion or have lion DNA.

Most transgenders are straight anyway, look at Bruce Jenner. He has kids.
I'm a pretty conservative guy and am ok with gays, but thought that TGs were a little too out there. After watching the Bruce Jenner interview it opened the inner Libertarian "Live and let live" person in me. I may not be ok with supporting tax money for TG surgery, but there is no reason they should be treated poorly by other members of society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

EDIT: And why is it that the majority of transsexuals are men who become women? Why isn't there a even ratio of MtoF and FtoM transsexuals even it's just a naturally occurring medial problem?
Btw, transgender is the preferred term. Not transsexual.

I don't know if it's mainly male to female or female to male. If you have a study or statics you'd like to share, I'd be interested to see that.

And honestly, most of the transgendered people I've known in real life (not celebrities like Janet Mock or Laverne Cox) are female to male.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:07 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
There is no shame in struggling with this concept.

The concept of 'homosexuality' has long been a non-issue with me. Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s I knew several gay people (of either sex). In those days it was not 'cool' or trendy to be gay. Indeed, you could be charged and put in prison for engaging in sexual conduct with a person of the same gender. I was in my teens when I realized that gay people were simply born that way.

In the early 1980s I had a gay male friend (and neighbor) who committed suicide. Poor lad, he kept his secret 'in the closet' from his family, who would have decidedly disapproved. I have no way of proving that he committed suicide due to his inner turmoil (obviously, he had some demons preying on him), but I highly suspect it.

Anyway, as for transgender: I also find this a somewhat difficult concept to accept. The main reason is that I realize (as I should, from reviewing Social Security disability cases for 26 years) that 'mental illness' is common. I can't help but think that some (but not all, of course) of those who suddenly claim that they were 'born into the wrong body' suffer from some form of mental illness, and that they seized upon this 'outlet', if you will, due to the much higher visability of such people in the last ten years or so.

For instance, Bruce Jenner. I have wondered if he is responding to some mental illness or an organic brain disorder (brain tumors can cause people to change their personalities quite drastically).

It used to be (I assume it still is, to some extent) that before a person could undergo any type of surgery to 'change gender' they had to undergo a battery of psychological tests, in order to rule out a mental disorder.

Anyway, if Bruce believes he is a woman in a man's body, it is no concern of mine. If Kate Upton were to suddenly claim that she is a man trapped in a woman's body and took steps to rectify the situation, I would have some concern.

Perhaps we should dwell on a statement by e.e. cummings:

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are".

Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Back when I was younger---and that's a LONG time ago---I had a friend who had a baby and it was over a week before they could determine its sex, it was that ambiguous. Finally, they decided it was going to be a girl. This was in the days before they could do blood tests to settle the issue. Because of that situation that I have first hand knowledge of I have no problem what so ever accepting transgender as a birth defect caused by something going wrong during the development of a baby. The wiring in the brain and the body parts just don't match.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 05-14-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I don't know if it's mainly male to female or female to male. If you have a study or statics you'd like to share, I'd be interested to see that.
The Prevalence of Transgenderism | Transgender Mental Health

" 1 per 30,000 adult males and 1 per 100,000 adult females seek sex-reassignment surgery"

Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I think the attitudes towards T shown here by pro-LGB folk is analogous to how heterosexuals think about LGB.[and T} The Irony.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:34 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
If transsexualism were an actual medical disorder, then all or at least the overwhelming majority of people suffering from it would react to it the same. But they don't.
The brain is an extremely complex organ, and there are many mental issues that are not well understood. Setting aside any gender/role insecurities one might have, what makes transsexuals different from anyone else with one of the wealth of disorders and dysphorias a person can suffer from?

Old 05-14-2015, 01:39 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
The brain is an extremely complex organ, and there are many mental issues that are not well understood. Setting aside any gender/role insecurities one might have, what makes transsexuals different from anyone else with one of the wealth of disorders and dysphorias a person can suffer from?
It's good you used the term mental issue, because it really highlights how stupid this so called "equality" campaign is. If transsexualism is a mental disorder, why should it be promoted as an ok thing?

And speaking of it being a mental disorder, imagine if somebody called homosexuality a mental disorder. They would be burned at the stake, because it implies that homosexuality is a sickness. I think just the fact alone that transsexualism is treated like a medical condition is enough to discredit the idea that it's healthy or normal.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:31 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What I don't get is why they are lumped together.
As a gay person, I don't either. I don't have gender identity issues, and many trans people who do change identify as straight afterwards. Take Chaz Bono, who has recently rejected the gay label. I respect Chaz's decision to do want he want with his body, but if you don't identify as gay, there's really no room for you in LGB.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'll answer.

You brain says female.

Your penis says male.
Exactly. You don't feel male while having male genitale or don't feel female while having female genitale. It is nothing about sexual preference, there are mtf who are straight, mtf who are at and mtf who are bisexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies