Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
By liberals definition, a government that controls everything and everyone is the best system there can be.
Irrelevant nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Envy, steal, skim, redistribute. You can window dress it, deny it, object to it, protest it, obfuscate it, but not escape it: Envy, steal, skim, redistribute.

Ahh yes, argument via loaded emotional words.

Envy? Hmmm... not so much. maybe if theres anything I truly want that I could have with more money there might be. But not too much. Maybe time?

Steal? Nope, I am not stealing, despite your attempts to frame it that way, who are you? Robin Hood?

skim? Uh huh.

redistribute....redistribution happens all the time. The rich do it via having us subsidize their low income employees for example.

Really in the end, you're arguing via emotion, not facts. You argue from this fantasy of how you believe the world is or should be. Not how it is.

In the end far too many here argue based upon their view being the only view that matters.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahh yes, argument via loaded emotional words.

Envy? Hmmm... not so much. maybe if theres anything I truly want that I could have with more money there might be. But not too much. Maybe time?

Steal? Nope, I am not stealing, despite your attempts to frame it that way, who are you? Robin Hood?

skim? Uh huh.

redistribute....redistribution happens all the time. The rich do it via having us subsidize their low income employees for example.

Really in the end, you're arguing via emotion, not facts. You argue from this fantasy of how you believe the world is or should be. Not how it is.

In the end far too many here argue based upon their view being the only view that matters.
Objective reality is the only view that matters, and is the only one I am offering. And perhaps strong emotions are appropriate and correct when the society in which one lives engages in immoral policies that destroy good people and reward bad people. Perhaps the words seem "emotionally loaded" because that is exactly what they are and should be given the reality they describe and indentify. And perhaps we can change or reverse the evolution of immoral policies by discussing them and pointing out the truth about them on City-Data and other forums.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:08 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
You right wing wackos need to STOP stereotyping "Liberals" ... THIS old Liberal has never been "GIVEN" anything from the government, I didn't get free or reduced lunch in school, my mother made too much, I got almost NO college aid, again my mother made too much, oh and since maybe you missed it I was raised since before my teens by a SINGLE mother(divorce) with NO assistance from my father OR the government, I didn't go without anything I needed. I have held a job for almost the entire time since I graduated college(even before), and I paid off ALL my student loans, the only times I wasn't employed is when I was laid off, so STOP pigeonholing Liberals.

I think all the tax deductions when people have a lot of children should END, after TWO your tax rate should climb exponentially, if you don't qualify for any government benefit with your income with two children you shouldn't qualify if you have eight or fifteen.

YES, I believe there should be a time limit on collecting "Welfare" and during that time you MUST try to improve yourself with college or training for a job.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:15 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
By liberals definition, a government that controls everything and everyone is the best system there can be.

Another example of Pigeonholing Liberals, this Liberal believes the Government should control very little as far as our private lives go, too bad Conservatives don't think the same.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:39 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
50 Trillion spent on foreign wars, banker bailouts and inflation of the money supply.

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT ??????

Old 05-18-2015, 05:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Another example of Pigeonholing Liberals, this Liberal believes the Government should control very little as far as our private lives go, too bad Conservatives don't think the same.
Very little to nothing. Other than crimes, keep out of everything.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
50 Trillion spent on foreign wars, banker bailouts and inflation of the money supply.

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT ??????
Some kind of awesome new weapons and medical stuff, some VERY happy bankers, and a increasingly wealth .001%. See-thats what we have to show for it.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I wonder if free cable TV, internet, cell phone service, etc. are calculated into the figures
Many people don't know it, but every time you pay your bill for one of those services, there is a mandated tax, typically called something akin to "Universal Service Fee" which provides free service to those who qualify.
Don't know whether it's counted in the Heritage Foundation $940 billion total.

Probably not, because it doesn't come directly from the U.S. Treasury -- or from individual state, county or municipal general funds.

Instead, you pay the tax directly to the cable or phone company, and then they lower the bill of the welfare recipient.

Of course, the cable or phone company is forced to steal from Peter to pay Paul by the government as a condition of licensing or using the airwaves.

So we might call it a government tax "mandate" that amounts to the same thing as direct government taxing and welfare spending: taking from the haves to give to the have-nots.

Last edited by dechatelet; 05-18-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well I did have grades and test scores in the top 3 percent, so I don't think it's unreasonable to pursue work that is commensurate with my abilities.
So if you don't get the kind of job you think you're entitled to, the rest of society owes you a living?

Nice sense of entitlement there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies