Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 02:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yea, yea, I get it. You love big government. And you think the poor are too stupid? Lazy? Ignorant? To help themselves.

If conservatives are so greedy and callous, how come they donate more to charity than liberals? Because liberals are only generous with other people's money.
Meh, those charities help a tiny percentage of the people who need it. Not to mention that huge sums are spent on useless crap like missions sent to force the poor to convert to the Religious Flavor of the Month.

And your assumption of my beliefs about government are just that -- assumptions, and false ones at that, made specifically to dismiss my thoughts and posts as unintelligent.

I just don't have a fairytale belief that the ability to escape poverty magically appears out of thin air. I don't think they're stupid, lazy or ignorant. I just live in the real world where education is useless without food in your belly, healthcare to allow you to work, decent clothes for job interviews and transportation to where the work are not supplied by the Job Fairy.

Your beliefs are clearly different. Your priorities, too. We can all see that. Sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:43 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
Bull! Those charities do more than any government social program.
Face it. Liberals only want to keep poor people that way. Its all about the votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Meh, those charities help a tiny percentage of the people who need it. Not to mention that huge sums are spent on useless crap like missions sent to force the poor to convert to the Religious Flavor of the Month.

And your assumption of my beliefs about government are just that -- assumptions, and false ones at that, made specifically to dismiss my thoughts and posts as unintelligent.

I just don't have a fairytale belief that the ability to escape poverty magically appears out of thin air. I don't think they're stupid, lazy or ignorant. I just live in the real world where education is useless without food in your belly, healthcare to allow you to work, decent clothes for job interviews and transportation to where the work are not supplied by the Job Fairy.

Your beliefs are clearly different. Your priorities, too. We can all see that. Sadly.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
What Chad said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
According to you since 1970 we spent $7.5 trillion on welfare. That money gave hungry children food, bought poor people clothes, and stimulated local businesses when the welfare recipients spent the money.

But what does republican corporate welfare give us?

Like GW Bush's $1.8 trillion in tax cuts for the richest 1% of Americans.
Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

And Bush's $1.2 trillion dollars in federal subsidies for corporations.
RealClearMarkets - Do Crony Handouts Have a Stranglehold On the GOP?

What did these handouts give us?
Answer: They added $1.8 trillion to our national debt, financed the building of new US factories in Asia, and a purchased a bunch of new corporate jets.

And what was Romney's $6.6 trillion dollar handout gonna give us?
Answer: $6.6 trillion added to our debt and a bunch of new US factories in Asia.

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

And what will Ted Cruz's and Rand Paul's handouts give us?
Answer: Deficits, debt, and the financing of more US factories in Asia.

How Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz Would Radically Increase Taxes on Everyone But the Rich | Tax Justice Blog
Rand Paul's fix for Detroit: lower taxes for the rich, more pollution & lower wages for the poor

I will support the democrats welfare because the money gets spent in America, the money gives hungry children food, and its cheaper. Example, Mitt Romney tried to spend as much money on tax cuts for the rich (in one year) than democrats have spent on welfare (in 35 years.)

Old 05-09-2015, 01:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No because we had the great depression before that, and once again, the government stepped in and fed the people. Still, many died.
Here's an irrefutable link by a reputable conservative who's words are considered gospel.

RESEARCHER: FAMINE KILLED 7 MILLION IN U.S. DURING “GREAT DEPRESSION”

» Researcher: Famine Killed 7 Million in U.S. During “Great Depression” Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
infowars?

Few bastards are born due to corporate "welfare".

Old 05-09-2015, 04:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

And this really is a matter of priorities. The right wing has been so successful over the last thirty five years in turning so many otherwise honorable and respectable people toward the right's antisocial intentions that the echo chamber feeds on itself, duping such folks into thinking that the egoism that they're practicing is somehow justifiable, or even "good". And for those that still have a shred of humane decency toward the poor, the right wing turns to religion - not to remedy the increasing economic injustice the right wing works to exploit, but rather to tamp down the feelings of guilt a reasonable person would have supporting the right wing's politics. It is a modern day purchase of indulgences - turn over X amount of money toward building palaces for worship and indoctrinating others into the cult of self-ratifying rationalization for callousness toward others, and you are forgiven for voting for leaders who put in place policies that make living in poverty even more miserable. One of the most powerful tools we could enact to turn more of these otherwise moral people back toward compassion and civic responsibility would be forcing all charitable organization to publish their detailed expense budgets, so that everyone can see how little of the money they're donating is actually going toward helping those most vulnerable in society.

Sadly, I'm not even sure that'll make anything better, anymore. The right wing's campaign to corrupt its adherents' values has been so successful that there seems to be little need for rationalization or other self-deceptions: We've finally reached the point where for many right wingers Gordon Gekko's philosophy is their religion.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:37 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Since 1970, the U.S. has spent around 7.5 trillion dollars on welfare. So what, you ask, did we get for our $7.5 trillion? We got millions and millions of perpetual welfare leeches.

We could have had a nation of people that are much more self reliant and chopped $7.5 trillion right off the top of our enormous national debt. But no. We paid for these people to become dependent on handouts so that they can continue to be a drain on our resources.

Good jobs liberals.

40 Welfare Spending Chart United States 1970-2015 - Federal State Local Data
That's the ultimate in government waste for you right there. Trillions wasted rewarding laziness and non-labor.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:04 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Yeah, and then they go out and breed like rabbits and we have even more poor dependent people, Yeah, verily even unto the fifth generation. Sounds like a plan, a plan for the destruction of civil society. Oh, go look, there's Baltimore and Detroit. I guess the plan is working.
So your solution is to starve the children to death so that they don't grow up and have babies. Cool, you are undoubtedly also opposed to abortion because you hold life sacred.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:07 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wouldnt the same thing happen if their parents had jobs? I wonder how many jobs could have been created with tens of trillions of dollars.
Parents who are able to work are already required to work by the law. I do think. So do liberal politicians. Conservatives, not so much.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So your solution is to starve the children to death so that they don't grow up and have babies.

How many American children starved to death in 1963?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
What do we have to show for it?
Answer: Democrat voters.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies