Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
18 / 14 / 88 unless they changed the code.

But 88 can be a birth year too. I am sure 88 is his birth year.

88 in Chinese culture, means wealthy. (Chinese grocer told me this one time lol)
Well, as it pertains to my username, one of those is right. ( Hint: I ain't a Nazi ) I'll leave you guys guessing as to which....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 12:29 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,767 times
It's his birth year, 1888

Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Or a countercultural figure? I do realize the countercultural ideals of the 1960s sometimes agree with me, sometimes contradict me, but I think the same ideals that once were new and different are now old and stale.
You posted what am I. If you do not know yourself you are indecisive.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:51 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Quote:
I am an atheist. I also am asexual. So I am not a spiritual person. But before you make any assumptions, I am very much what people would describe as "conservative", but I reject that label or any label, and I really think "liberalism" is completely irrational and illogical, as is its mirror image called "libertarianism" which in my opinion only allies itself with "conservatism" because there's a major conflict of ego between "liberalism" and "libertarianism". And yes, I know it may seem like a contradiction that I am an atheist but also would be considered "conservative".

Some "conservative" beliefs very close to my heart are spelled out below:

1. I do NOT agree with abortion, EXCEPT for abortions performed for a purely medical or physical reason, such as to save the maternal life. Why you ask? Having abortion legal with no questions asked sends a very, very dangerous message to our females (and to a lesser extent, males also)... the message that actions are without consequences.

2. I do NOT agree with gay rights (gay marriage aside, I am opposed to all homosexual activity or expression of homosexuality). Why? Partly this could be due to me myself being asexual, but I find homosexual feelings irrational and illogical. The very existence of homosexuality (as defined by psychological/psychiatric authorities) is something I question the validity of, something I find to be based on pseudoscience. I really, really think of gays/lesbians as people with a narcissistic disorder, who go to great lengths to create sexual energy with other beings of the same gender... which in the case of gay men, involves using the fecal tract () for sexual purposes. Why gay men continue this tradition 30 years after the advent of AIDS is a contradiction I wish I never had to learn about. And I really, really think teamwork and cooperation are vital to the success of mankind. Thus, males acting like females and females acting like males are concepts I just can't go along with.

NOTE: I personally dislike the whole idea of human sexuality, but again, I am asexual. Please tell me what exactly I'm "missing out" on. Please!

3. I must say I respectfully disagree with the Jews (as much as "the Jews" can be thought of as one worldwide group) on a number of subjects. And before you ask about it, I really don't have any feelings about the Israeli-Palestinian debate, but am very concerned about Jews dominating the financial institutions and intellectual elite of the world... not saying there's anything wrong with Jews themselves, but it disturbs me that any one particular racial/ethnic group has so much power and might. And as an atheist, I realize that while not all Jews follow Judaism, it deeply worries me that America (a nation specifically banned from having a state religion) is the biggest ally of Israel (a nation also without a state religion, but for obvious reasons a nation dominated by people pushing one particular religion's agenda).

4. I was not alive then, but I would have had mixed feelings about the 1950s/early 1960s civil rights movement for African Americans. There absolutely is NO racist bone in my body, but I have intellectual reasons for not liking the civil rights movement as we knew it (though I agree with its message of racial equality). Rather than commit sit-ins, bus protests, etc, I think African Americans would have been better off suing to demolish segregation, lynchings, etc. And I wish African American leaders would have invited the segregationist leaders to a respectful but brutally honest dialogue, with the goal of changing Southern racists' hearts. Also, back in the 1930s when African Americans left the Republican Party to join the Democratic Party, I think they would have been much wiser to start their own party, without the distractions of various white interests in the same party holding the party hostage. Most white Republicans and Democrats alike I believe are racist, but African Americans have been duped by both sides throughout history. It really is very sad.

5. I strongly oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants to the USA, but not out of any kind of hatred or dislike for the Mexicans (or whoever else the illegal immigrants might be). Rather, considering most illegal immigrants are fleeing dictatorships (or countries with extreme poverty or extreme violence), I really think the USA should intervene to make those suffering countries safe to live in. Kick the arse of the Mexican/Colombian drug cartels for example.

6. I oppose feminist beliefs, and while I believe men and women are created equal, I don't support some woman activist's propaganda interfering with an intimate relationship between a man and a woman. Too many families have been destroyed because a woman chose agreement with Gloria Steinem instead of agreement with her own partner. Feminists are the most selfish and narcissistic human beings ever to walk the planet.

7. I believe welfare should only be given to people who have a clearly diagnosed physical or psychological obstacle to employment (or people in particularly desperate circumstances such as unemployable women who escaped an abusive husband).

8. I believe government jobs should be given to the most qualified individuals, NOT the individuals who score the highest on an arbitrary (civil service) test. Pricks are routinely given these jobs... they most likely cheated on the test anyway, dammit!

I do have some clearly "left-leaning" beliefs though. First of all, I really think religion should not exist. It has undermined way too many people and societies throughout history. I also wish the world all had one government. The idea of countries/nations is very irrational to me, and I really, really hate the concept of "war"... no matter "who started it" or what "freedom" is supposedly being threatened. And this one may make me really unpopular: I think marriage is wrong and should NEVER have been created. It has been detrimental to the freedom and sanity of way too many men and women alike, and perhaps is the cause of more MISERY than any other institution known to man. I also think children should ONLY (and I do mean ONLY) be brought into the world to satisfy a particular purpose or goal ("continue the bloodline" is an absolutely AWFUL reason), such as "cure cancer" or anything else the parents want to see happen, but won't live to see themselves accomplish.

And this is a very "liberal" belief I also have: I believe the idea of "social class" needs to die a very brutal death. The ideas of "lower class", "middle class", and "upper class" have all created a ton of heartbreak and suffering, for both "lower class" and "upper class" alike. And I'm not saying the concept of money needs to die (though that wouldn't be such a bad idea) but I think the many highly competitive concepts of worldly success (such as getting the best grades in high school, getting into the best college, getting the most prestigious job) often lead people on wild goose chases that lead to a cycle of dysfunction and pointless frustration. In fact, I really, really, REALLY wish our society offered children viable alternatives to wasting their innocent years in schools, and likewise that people with countercultural, groovy, far-out beliefs (like me) be given reasonable alternatives to spending our lives working. I have a job, but I feel suffocated by the very concept of having a job... even though I for the most part enjoy the work itself.

So based on all of the above, what label could be given to me? I normally detest labels but would honestly love to hear your opinions this time.
A fan of Rush's.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:11 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
HUM, Independent with a touch of TeahadliKKKan?????????

Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
Pastafarian?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:15 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Meh, the right wants a religious dictatorship, the left wants a dictatorship of the people. Very little real difference....
This isn't true (nothing this generalized could be), but if it were, they still sound pretty different to me.

I'm not even sure how you can have a dictatorship of the people. If people are getting what they want, then it's not a dictatorship.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:58 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
I do have some fascist-leaning beliefs. Under the world government I envision, propaganda would be used to promote beliefs such as mine, and there would be only one political party.
When the majority defers to the absolute power of a privileged minority, it is fascism.

Your atheism is irrelevant unless you plan on imposing an atheistic state. Plenty of neocons are atheists, but they also recognize that religion is an important tool for controlling and manipulating the people.

While you do have superficially left wing beliefs (such as eliminating classes and money), you aren't consistently egalitarian because you are rigidly anti-abortion, anti-homosexual and anti-feminist. The bit about fighting wars against undesirable elements in foreign countries has a distinct whiff of imperialism about it as well.

Leftists are egalitarians and egalitarianism is about eliminating inherently discriminatory institutions, practices and ideologies, not simply choosing new targets for your discrimination. You can't eliminate classes from society while also having institutionalized discrimination against gays and feminists.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:56 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
Seems to me you are a non-religious conservative who's not a rah-rah America-type, and doesn't bang chicks. Plenty of room under the tent for you.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:17 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
1. I do NOT agree with abortion, EXCEPT for abortions performed for a purely medical or physical reason, such as to save the maternal life. Why you ask? Having abortion legal with no questions asked sends a very, very dangerous message to our females (and to a lesser extent, males also)... the message that actions are without consequences.
Moderate social conservatism.

Quote:
2. I do NOT agree with gay rights (gay marriage aside, I am opposed to all homosexual activity or expression of homosexuality). Why? Partly this could be due to me myself being asexual, but I find homosexual feelings irrational and illogical. The very existence of homosexuality (as defined by psychological/psychiatric authorities) is something I question the validity of, something I find to be based on pseudoscience. I really, really think of gays/lesbians as people with a narcissistic disorder, who go to great lengths to create sexual energy with other beings of the same gender... which in the case of gay men, involves using the fecal tract () for sexual purposes. Why gay men continue this tradition 30 years after the advent of AIDS is a contradiction I wish I never had to learn about. And I really, really think teamwork and cooperation are vital to the success of mankind. Thus, males acting like females and females acting like males are concepts I just can't go along with.
Far right social conservatives/authoritarianism.

Also, gay people aren't the only one's getting AIDs. Not all gay people have AIDs. You talk a lot about logic, but seem to be basing parts of your reasoning on exaggerated claims.

Quote:
NOTE: I personally dislike the whole idea of human sexuality, but again, I am asexual. Please tell me what exactly I'm "missing out" on. Please!
I don't know anything about you, so perhaps you're missing nothing. If you're content with your life, then you're fine.

Quote:
3. I must say I respectfully disagree with the Jews (as much as "the Jews" can be thought of as one worldwide group) on a number of subjects. And before you ask about it, I really don't have any feelings about the Israeli-Palestinian debate, but am very concerned about Jews dominating the financial institutions and intellectual elite of the world... not saying there's anything wrong with Jews themselves, but it disturbs me that any one particular racial/ethnic group has so much power and might. And as an atheist, I realize that while not all Jews follow Judaism, it deeply worries me that America (a nation specifically banned from having a state religion) is the biggest ally of Israel (a nation also without a state religion, but for obvious reasons a nation dominated by people pushing one particular religion's agenda).
Far right social conservatives, bordering Nazism/fascism.

Quote:
4. I was not alive then, but I would have had mixed feelings about the 1950s/early 1960s civil rights movement for African Americans. There absolutely is NO racist bone in my body, but I have intellectual reasons for not liking the civil rights movement as we knew it (though I agree with its message of racial equality). Rather than commit sit-ins, bus protests, etc, I think African Americans would have been better off suing to demolish segregation, lynchings, etc. And I wish African American leaders would have invited the segregationist leaders to a respectful but brutally honest dialogue, with the goal of changing Southern racists' hearts. Also, back in the 1930s when African Americans left the Republican Party to join the Democratic Party, I think they would have been much wiser to start their own party, without the distractions of various white interests in the same party holding the party hostage. Most white Republicans and Democrats alike I believe are racist, but African Americans have been duped by both sides throughout history. It really is very sad.
Social conservatism.

Also, they may have been better off suing, but how do you think that would have gone for them, given how society viewed them?

Quote:
5. I strongly oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants to the USA, but not out of any kind of hatred or dislike for the Mexicans (or whoever else the illegal immigrants might be). Rather, considering most illegal immigrants are fleeing dictatorships (or countries with extreme poverty or extreme violence), I really think the USA should intervene to make those suffering countries safe to live in. Kick the arse of the Mexican/Colombian drug cartels for example.
Conservatism.

Also, do you support the war on drugs, or if I let my bias ask the question: do you support the monstrous failure that is the war on drugs?

Quote:
6. I oppose feminist beliefs, and while I believe men and women are created equal, I don't support some woman activist's propaganda interfering with an intimate relationship between a man and a woman. Too many families have been destroyed because a woman chose agreement with Gloria Steinem instead of agreement with her own partner. Feminists are the most selfish and narcissistic human beings ever to walk the planet.
Social conservatism.

I don't know much about Gloria Steinem, but based on what you just said, you think a wife should just agree with her husband sometimes. That's pretty much the opposite of your prefaced 'men and women are created equal' unless you think the inverse is also true. But I doubt it.

Quote:
7. I believe welfare should only be given to people who have a clearly diagnosed physical or psychological obstacle to employment (or people in particularly desperate circumstances such as unemployable women who escaped an abusive husband).
Fiscal conservatism.

Quote:
8. I believe government jobs should be given to the most qualified individuals, NOT the individuals who score the highest on an arbitrary (civil service) test. Pricks are routinely given these jobs... they most likely cheated on the test anyway, dammit!
I wouldn't call this a political issue. More conservatives support it I'd imagine, but you'll find a lot of liberals who agree here.

Quote:
I do have some clearly "left-leaning" beliefs though. First of all, I really think religion should not exist. It has undermined way too many people and societies throughout history. I also wish the world all had one government. The idea of countries/nations is very irrational to me, and I really, really hate the concept of "war"... no matter "who started it" or what "freedom" is supposedly being threatened. And this one may make me really unpopular: I think marriage is wrong and should NEVER have been created. It has been detrimental to the freedom and sanity of way too many men and women alike, and perhaps is the cause of more MISERY than any other institution known to man. I also think children should ONLY (and I do mean ONLY) be brought into the world to satisfy a particular purpose or goal ("continue the bloodline" is an absolutely AWFUL reason), such as "cure cancer" or anything else the parents want to see happen, but won't live to see themselves accomplish.
No Religion: Communism/authoritarianism.

World-Central government: authoritarianism.

Countries-borders: Communism/anarchism.

Stance on war: pacifism/anti-interventionism.

marriage: anarchism/far left liberalism.

Children: progressivism maybe? At least in the US, continuing the blood line hasn't really been happening for quite some time.

Quote:
And this is a very "liberal" belief I also have: I believe the idea of "social class" needs to die a very brutal death. The ideas of "lower class", "middle class", and "upper class" have all created a ton of heartbreak and suffering, for both "lower class" and "upper class" alike. And I'm not saying the concept of money needs to die (though that wouldn't be such a bad idea) but I think the many highly competitive concepts of worldly success (such as getting the best grades in high school, getting into the best college, getting the most prestigious job) often lead people on wild goose chases that lead to a cycle of dysfunction and pointless frustration. In fact, I really, really, REALLY wish our society offered children viable alternatives to wasting their innocent years in schools, and likewise that people with countercultural, groovy, far-out beliefs (like me) be given reasonable alternatives to spending our lives working. I have a job, but I feel suffocated by the very concept of having a job... even though I for the most part enjoy the work itself.
Communism.

Quote:
So based on all of the above, what label could be given to me? I normally detest labels but would honestly love to hear your opinions this time.
You're definitely all over the place. I'd say you're a crossbreed of conservatism and libertarianism. You're absolutely a social conservative, despite your view that social classes need to be abolished. You seem to favor government control (based solely on what you said), but also removing the government form many things: in other words, giving government absolute authority in a small selection of things but removing it entirely from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies