Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 10:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one is going to stop illegal immigration, I can promise you that... I'm probably older than many CD posters and I have been around long enough to witness first hand that one of the reasons undocumented people have been allowed to enter the US with nothing more than a wink and a nod, and the reason was to lower wages. Why else have US employers been allowed to hire them with no fear of prosecution? You aren't going to stop illegal immigration with a fence, you will stop it when our Government Officials quit taking money from the industries who benefit from hiring the undocumented and start enforcing the laws already in place prohibiting a US employer from hiring an undocumented person.

Working in a meat packing plant in the midwest used to be a good job, it was one of the highest paid jobs in some states, when companies like Armor started looking for a way to save money they went after their employees, most of the plants were unionized and the unions weren't willing to accept wage cuts (mainly because at the time the meat packers were making record profits) So the meat packing plants were shut down and all the employees laid off, when they reopened they brought busloads of undocumented people from Mexico to work in the plants for minimum wage. And before you blame the union, then why didn't the plant simply hire non-union local citizens when they reopened?

And it wasn't just that industry, in the 70's and 80's it happened all over the US. At the time I worked at a 'tourist attraction' (not Disneyland or anything that large). Over a period of two years I watched as their entire grounds-keeping and maintenance staff was replaced by undocumented people. The owner of the company 'contracted out' those services to a firm that specialized in hiring undocumented people. The HR manager told me it was legal because they had no responsibility for who the contractor hired. Oh and then when Reagan gave 3 million people amnesty most of those Mexicans quit working there and went to work at higher paying jobs, so the company had to have their contractor round up some more illegals to work for minimum wage.
They are responsible for that, the only problem is the government will not enforce the laws.

Government:"look at the mess we are creating and we want you, Mr Businessman to come along and clean up after us".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 10:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm sorry but that just doesn't work these days. It may of in the past but not now.
Yes this still works. Learning new skills that are valuable to your employer always has and always will work. What it is is not easy. You have to work for it. THAT is what people don't want to do. They want it handed to them.

I'm taking a minimum wage job this summer and mark my words I will work my way up to weekend manager. That's my goal. I will learn every aspect of the job I have to and do more than they ask me to in order to get there because I know that's what it takes to get ahead. No one ever gets ahead just doing the job they're paid for. It'll take me a few years. I'm shooting for 4-5 but I will do it even if I have to switch employers along the way to move into better and better positions. My goal is to have a part time job that doesn't interfere with my full time job that pays decently and that I can keep when I retire. Unfortunately, teacher wages have been attacked for years and it has become apparent that teaching will never pay my bills. I still need the job for the benefits so it's part time job time.

You might want to remember that people like me are your competition. If you don't do more than we do, you will not move up because we will. I'm not afraid to work hard, learn more and give more than I have to in order to get the attention of my employer because I know that is what it takes to get ahead.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Sadly, I agree. Illegals area allowed to flood our market to keep wages down. Mandating a higher minimum wage would just result in MORE illegals and more Americans out of work. Until we address this problem any discussion of minimum wage is moot. THIS is the real problem but no one will address it. I'm amazed that liberals are not crying foul here. Instead they are the biggest supporters of illegals. But they want the government to fix their job problem. Illegals ARE their job problem.
crying foul? I'm a liberal, and most of my friends are and they agree with me. I think the only thing that liberals and conservatives might disagree about here is what you do with the millions of undocumented people have been here for years, but I bet if we got real about it and both sides quit playing partisan politics we could come up with a solution...but it won't do a bit of good until we put employers in jail who fail to use e-verify

Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are responsible for that, the only problem is the government will not enforce the laws.

Government:"look at the mess we are creating and we want you, Mr Businessman to come along and clean up after us".
and therein lies the problem, unless failure to use e-verify is made a felony and is prosecuted; you might as well tear all those fences down because you aren't going to keep people out when they know they can get a job here

Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
and therein lies the problem, unless failure to use e-verify is made a felony and is prosecuted; you might as well tear all those fences down because you aren't going to keep people out when they know they can get a job here
I don't disagree. It's really not that difficult and it's a part of the problems we are facing in many areas. The government or government agencies not enforcing laws or doing whatever is necessary to exempt them from the laws.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree. It's really not that difficult and it's a part of the problems we are facing in many areas. The government or government agencies not enforcing laws or doing whatever is necessary to exempt them from the laws.
When I lived in Nevada, my US assembly rep (a Republican) conducted telephone town hall meetings. I listened to and tried to participate in every one. I must have called in half a dozen times and when I told the call screener that I wanted to ask why we can't pass a law requiring all employers to use e-verify I never got through once..but during at least 3 of those meetings people who were calling to suggest enhanced border control got through just fine.

Would the same thing have happened if the congressman had been a democrat? My guess is yes, they are all up to their knees in cash they get from large employers who want to keep hiring undocumented people.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:51 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
When I lived in Nevada, my US assembly rep (a Republican) conducted telephone town hall meetings. I listened to and tried to participate in every one. I must have called in half a dozen times and when I told the call screener that I wanted to ask why we can't pass a law requiring all employers to use e-verify I never got through once..but during at least 3 of those meetings people who were calling to suggest enhanced border control got through just fine.

Would the same thing have happened if the congressman had been a democrat? My guess is yes, they are all up to their knees in cash they get from large employers who want to keep hiring undocumented people.

I can agree with this.

Both sides want to keep illegal immigration flowing, they just use different excuses for the same ends.

The Left is just better at pulling at the heartstrings of their constituents to try to justify illegal immigration on moral grounds.

The Right is just better at paying lip service to their constituents who are against illegal immigration.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I went to a live one and he wouldn't let anyone get a word in. He was very practiced at it.

Quote:
I once had a fun (from my point of view) conversation with Jay Rockefeller on a call in show. I will give our statewide call in show major props for actually being fair and balanced and giving the people an equal say.

WV MetroNews

One of the best political/call in show anywhere. They invite all candidates and give them all a fair shake and equal time. I supported John Buckley (L) for Senate this past year. Not being unwilling to openly admit he is gay unfortunately he stood no chance but Metronews had him on quite a few times.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I can agree with this.

Both sides want to keep illegal immigration flowing, they just use different excuses for the same ends.

The Left is just better at pulling at the heartstrings of their constituents to try to justify illegal immigration on moral grounds.

The Right is just better at paying lip service to their constituents who are against illegal immigration.
exactly and when Politicians of both parties pit you and I against each other they make sure that they can go on about their Machiavellian games without us noticing. Imagine what could be accomplished if Republicans and Democrats could take a time out from the fighting with each other to get together on issues like this, something that we seem to agree on. Sadly it will probably never happen.

My first job in law enforcement was working in a jail, it took me about a week to figure out that inmates of different races didn't have any real beef with each other but guards stirred up the hatred because by making sure inmates were busy trying to figure out ways to hurt each other they wouldn't get together and gang up on the staff

Old 05-10-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I went to a live one and he wouldn't let anyone get a word in. He was very practiced at it.
yeah they seem to be good at that. I went to the facebook page of the one I was talking about and asked the same question there and my comment was deleted and I was blocked from posting on the page, and I wasn't rude or partisan, I just asked "why don't we require employers to use e-verify and make it a criminal offense if they don't" I can't quite understand why a congressman would feel so threatened by that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies