Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:40 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,758,240 times

Advertisements

The issue is not minimum wage, the issue is the lack of motivation and desire to move up in the work force. Minimum wage is "entry level" and most of us started in a minimum wage position. Showing your worth and proving yourself by going to work with a smile, good attitude, and willing to go the extra mile will get you a higher paying job. It seems like many complaining about the minimum wage go to work with bad attitudes make careers out of these jobs vs using them as a stepping stone to a better position. Not only are they hoarding these positions but by doing so it is preventing many other younger people willing to work hard and use the minimum wage job as a stepping stone the opportunity to use a job like this as it was intended perhaps during the summer or through out college.

Im tired of people that don't want to put in anything but want to get 110% back. YOU are in control of your destiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 05:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I get that you had to find some place to deposit your sound and fury (signifying nothing), but you need to put away those MSNBC flash cards.

While you're at it, you might want to brush up on history, in particular LBJ's Great Society, to find some perfect examples of how trillions in dollars spent has kept the impoverished poor by decimating families (Patrick Moynihan was very prescient), and controlling the poor, and keeping them dependent and on the Democrat plantation.

That's compassion?
"My view is we had stumbled onto a major social change in the circumstances of post-modern society. It was not long ago in this past century that an anthropologist working in London – a very famous man at the time, Malinowski – postulated what he called the first rule of anthropology: That in all known societies, all male children have an acknowledged male parent. That's what we found out everywhere. ... And well, maybe it's not true anymore. Human societies change."Daniel Moynihan

Old 05-08-2015, 06:23 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Heard a short Mark Levin clip used as a radio promo for his talk show. He blasted the left for destroying cities and destroying job opportunities for teens with high minimum wages.

Clearly there are reasons so many people wanta higher minimum wage. Why don't conservatives address the underlying issues?
Better question: Considering that raising the minimum wage has never resulted in long term benefit for minimum wage earners, why do liberals keep trying to raise the minimum wage rather than looking for other options?

For your question though, I have seen recommendations from conservatives such as job training and work programs for minimum wage earners, but they get shot down by liberals. I guess making people actually learn skills and work for higher wages is a less pleasing prospect than just throwing other people's money at the problem and hoping that it will actually work someday.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Heard a short Mark Levin clip used as a radio promo for his talk show. He blasted the left for destroying cities and destroying job opportunities for teens with high minimum wages.

Clearly there are reasons so many people wanta higher minimum wage. Why don't conservatives address the underlying issues?
Let me see if I understand your rant.

You expect me as a conservative, to come up with a solution for you, working for minimum wage.. Because clearly you arent smart enough to not work for minimum wage?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:

huh??

why raise it at all.... min wage is meant for UNSKILLED workers

FEDERAL min wage should be zero...there are nearly 1500 cost of living economies within the USA...min wage should be set at the LOCAL LEVEL....why cant liberals and those who want to raise it federally figure out that ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL

you raise it and everyone will lose instead of gain

small business lose
skilled workers lose
people losing their jobs lose

most americans are employed by small business, and most small business is operating on a 1%-10% profit margin

we just saw the min wage get raised in 07/09 and it was part of the perfect storm recession

raising the min wage will cost jobs...

raising wages even hurts the middleclass more...why because it wont make them more viable...especially when everything costs more

raising the minwage adds to inflation.. thereby hurting the middleclass

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:
Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$24/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$22/hr
I have a parts manager...$22/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

either that or you will make what was 'above' min wage skilled worker to being min wage workers

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....
I would to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, because it not is too costly to stay in business

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving
this is just one example of what will happen, if we try raising the min wage anymore

and let's not forget the COST of raining it to 15...those workers are NOT going to see much of a raise....

it also increases the taxes on EVERYONE who fell in that zone
increase of income taxes
increase of payroll taxes
loss/reduction of obamacare/Medicaid/other health care subsidies
increase cost of health premiums
increase of state income taxes (if any)
loss/reduction of social benefits such as welfare/food stamps

so possibly half of that raise magically disappears into the pockets of the politicians

Old 05-08-2015, 06:44 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Underlying issues are automation combined with the illegal immigration which democrats foolishly support because they think republicans don't meanwhile republicans secretly support it and never do anything about it because they like the "free market" cheap labor. Your politicians dug your graves for you by not taking action back when there was still lots of manufacturing work in the US... now it's gone and the work there is available is starting in many cases at insultingly low wages.... the strong dollar is another problem that makes us a good credit bubble nation but is not good for keeping jobs here....

Where in the early 1980's manufacturing work might start at $5-6 per hour with relatively quick advancement to $10-11 per hour, these days they start around $10-11 (insultingly low for 2015) while getting raises at a snail's pace. I don't blame people for NOT taking these jobs... given what $5 per hour could get you in 1982 versus $11 today. At these wages they should just ship the whole operation to china.... $10-11 in 2015 for manufacturing is insulting... maybe for a teen working at McD it would be more acceptable. Heck many of these same jobs were starting around $9-10 an hour in 2005, 10 years ago.

If people feel the wage is not sufficient they have every right to not take the job... this is what people SHOULD be doing instead of taking 'whatever they can get' ... unskilled labor is valued too low in our society while parasites at the top who make billions off their investments, tax loopholes they got written into the laws, the ability to leverage, use of derivatives, etc. are valued 'highly' ... when they drive their company bust they can walk away with all their cash and let the company go bankrupt... such a scam. Meanwhile forum posters here who are self made think that everyone can just go to college, get a 4-6 year degree, and pull in $250K, and if they don't, it's their own fault....

Old 05-08-2015, 07:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Underlying issues are automation combined with the illegal immigration which democrats foolishly support because they think republicans don't meanwhile republicans secretly support it and never do anything about it because they like the "free market" cheap labor. Your politicians dug your graves for you by not taking action back when there was still lots of manufacturing work in the US... now it's gone and the work there is available is starting in many cases at insultingly low wages.... the strong dollar is another problem that makes us a good credit bubble nation but is not good for keeping jobs here....

Where in the early 1980's manufacturing work might start at $5-6 per hour with relatively quick advancement to $10-11 per hour, these days they start around $10-11 (insultingly low for 2015) while getting raises at a snail's pace. I don't blame people for NOT taking these jobs... given what $5 per hour could get you in 1982 versus $11 today. At these wages they should just ship the whole operation to china.... $10-11 in 2015 for manufacturing is insulting... maybe for a teen working at McD it would be more acceptable. Heck many of these same jobs were starting around $9-10 an hour in 2005, 10 years ago.

If people feel the wage is not sufficient they have every right to not take the job... this is what people SHOULD be doing instead of taking 'whatever they can get' ... unskilled labor is valued too low in our society while parasites at the top who make billions off their investments, tax loopholes they got written into the laws, the ability to leverage, use of derivatives, etc. are valued 'highly' ... when they drive their company bust they can walk away with all their cash and let the company go bankrupt... such a scam. Meanwhile forum posters here who are self made think that everyone can just go to college, get a 4-6 year degree, and pull in $250K, and if they don't, it's their own fault....

Plenty of people didn't even finish college and they made billions!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:

One of the huge underlying issue is the left's undaunted support for illegal immigration. That's like taking a gigantic thing bigger than the largest rocket and stick it right into the poor's behind. I don't know why any poor people would support this but they just do. :-(

Old 05-08-2015, 07:23 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:

The underlying issue is this - the minimum wage is not meant to be a wage for an entire career, not meant to be a "livable wage" to raise a family on.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:46 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:

Because minimum wage is not the problem , the problem is an uneducated work force that doesn't want to get a skill and want free money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies