Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
Obviously the minimum wage was never intended to be a career. It was $4.07 (in modern dollars) when put into place during the FDR administration. Currently, it's roughly in the middle of it's range through the years.
The Left wing perspective sees no difference between a job and a career.

You can build a career out of a job, but you will never build a life if you don't have the dedication and disipline of living within your means for the time it takes to accomplish that.

Liberals, like the latest generation, have no patience. They live in a society built on instant gratification and free Obama phones that has trained them to think that building a career is passé and that life should require no more time and effort than booting up an X-Box.

Last edited by FatBob96; 05-14-2015 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I am having mixed emotions about this it's like watching some teen girl drama show of sorts with some super powers thrown in. Maybe if she wasn't so young if she's going to cry at every little thing that happens to her then no I'll pass.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

You can build a career out of a job, but you will never build a life if you don't have the dedication and disipline of living within your means for the time it takes to accomplish that.

Liberals, like the latest generation, have no patience. They live in a society built on instant gratification and free Obama phones that has trained them to think that building a career is passé and that life should require no more time and effort than booting up an X-Box.
Not Obama phones, BUSH phones, Google is your friend The Obama Phone?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

You know better, your description of a liberal is nothing more than yet another dog whistle, that seems to be the only game you have - pretty darned sad

Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Possibly not, but nothing is stopping them from starting a business. Do you realize how many businesses in this country are started on bootstrap budgets? When I started my handyman business, I was working full time at my regular job and hauling paint supplies in the trunk of a compact sedan. I bartered a painting job for a work van, and 90% or more of the tools I bought as I needed them came from pawn shops. I didn't buy a tool unless I needed it for the next job, and I never so much as talked to anyone about a business loan. Every expense I had was paid in cash, many times out of the deposit that the customer gave me when they booked the job.

There are hundreds of businesses that can be started with little or no money and can be grown into successful money makers. It just takes a little creativity and the desire to do it.
well of course you started a business with nothing, and you are probably a self made millionaire too, but not everyone is as smart as you.

I used to hire a disabled guy to do odd jobs for me. He decided to start his own business selling produce in a parking lot where the owner gave him permission to do so, spent all his money buying the produce, set it all up and 4 hours later got arrested for selling produce without a license, $500 fine; and they confiscated his produce

Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
We have two farmers markets here. Bring your produce and sell it. Tell him to move to somewhere without people who think they must control every action of an individual.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have two farmers markets here. Bring your produce and sell it. Tell him to move to somewhere without people who think they must control every action of an individual.
I have no idea where "here" is, but where this man lives there is a waiting list, a $100 fee just to be considered as a vendor, a business license is required and there is $75 weekly stall fee. He has almost no chance of being selected because the farmer's markets usually only allow farmers who are selling their own produce. And I'm pretty sure he does not have the resources to move to another area, he's very poor. He's a gentle soul with one leg who does his best and gets no government assistance. I saw him a few weeks ago cleaning people's car windows for 'donations' outside of a local grocery store.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not Obama phones, BUSH phones, Google is your friend The Obama Phone?
Whatever.....it makes no difference to the argument in any way, it's still a government freebie.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You know better, your description of a liberal is nothing more than yet another dog whistle, that seems to be the only game you have - pretty darned sad
I disavow the existence of "dog whistles".

The entire concept is nothing more than a means for Liberals to put words in Conservatives mouths when they are confronted with a reality that their philosophy does not allow them to accept as valid.

I mean what I say and I say what I mean.

Do I make mistakes posting sometimes? Sure, I do. But I don't use "dog whistles"

Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I used to hire a disabled guy to do odd jobs for me. He decided to start his own business selling produce in a parking lot where the owner gave him permission to do so, spent all his money buying the produce, set it all up and 4 hours later got arrested for selling produce without a license, $500 fine; and they confiscated his produce

That would be because of big government regulations on selling produce.

So, either stop voting for politicians who keep passing more and more useless regulations that keep poor people poor or learn to work within the system that those people you put in power create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies