Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Granted, this happened at Cal Berkley which is basically ground zero for liberal stupidity, but if I were an administrator, parent, security, etc at this school, I'd be raising hell about this.

If I were one of the students trying to get to class, I probably would have ended up in a physical altercation.

Students block Sather Gate to protest police brutality, express campus climate concerns | The Daily Californian
I would have told them to go pound sand. They can protest all they want, but they don't get to infringe on my rights while they do so. If they got violent, as per the article, they would have regretted it for a long time, because I would be relentless in getting their sorry arses prosecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Granted, this happened at Cal Berkley which is basically ground zero for liberal stupidity
The irony is that UC Berkeley is one of the best schools in the country.

Mick

Old 05-08-2015, 11:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Prof: "You're 10 minutes late for the exam. ZERO."
I can see that as usual, we are dealing with binary thinkers who doubtless will sit a hour in traffic rather than modify their route.

Such tunnel vision.

If a student at the university level cannot figure out how to deal with this sort of minor disruption, I see little hope for dealing with anything major.

That so many find this almost a capital offense speaks to a serious lack of critical thinking not to mention complete ignorance of the role civil disobedience played in the founding of this country.

The organizers of the original Tea Party must be spinning in their graves.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
The irony is that UC Berkeley is one of the best schools in the country
No irony there, UC Berkeley is one of the best schools in the country because it is a school where liberal thought is actively pursued, not just in the classroom.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:40 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
No irony there, UC Berkeley is one of the best schools in the country because it is school where liberal thought is actively pursued, not just in the classroom.
Basically that's what I said implicitly.

Mick

Old 05-08-2015, 11:42 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I can see that as usual, we are dealing with binary thinkers who doubtless will sit a hour in traffic rather than modify their route.

Such tunnel vision.

If a student at the university level cannot figure out how to deal with this sort of minor disruption, I see little hope for dealing with anything major.

That so many find this almost a capital offense speaks to a serious lack of critical thinking not to mention complete ignorance of the role civil disobedience played in the founding of this country.
Sure there are other ways, but they also have the right to proceed to class. The misunderstanding of the right to protest is more disruptive than a guy choosing to walk to class by his original route.

Yes, civil disobedience has played a large role in this country. I have no problem with protests, but you don't have a right to physically intimidate and use force in the process. Since you are a fan of the role in history, take a look at how people using physical force were treated throughout that history.

Quote:
Oh, they've been spinning like a top for years in looking at our federal government.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:42 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Basically that's what I said implicitly.

Mick
An unfortunate case of friendly fire.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:45 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:

Such tunnel vision.

Again, they can protest all they want, but they do NOT get to infringe on my rights while doing so...since you want to throw around "founding of this country".

Old 05-08-2015, 11:58 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Once again, blocking Sather Gate denied no one egress onto campus
Indeed, it did. I copied the quote from a student in the article. The protestors told her she could not pass.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:01 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You missed my point. Those kids singing racist songs deserved to be expelled. This has nothing to due with them blocking anyone's access to class. Totally different situation.
Were the singing kids doing so in public, blocking and disrupting other people and forcing others to hear an opinion they weren't interested in? Or were they in public, blocking access to other students and forcing their message on them? What someone does or says in a private conversation, or even a paid venue is their own business. If the pro-criminal protesters wanted to rent an auditorium and have a meeting among those that shared their interests, fine, knock yourselves out. Same with say the NBPP, if they want to have a private meeting and make nasty little noises about "blaming whitey" and chant "poor, poor, pitiful me" and spout their racist drival, that's fine too. Much like Sarah Gellar, she acted like an adult and had an event in a venue she rented. She didn't say walk into a mosque and start spouting off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies