Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:19 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
So, I guess the whole point of this post is to continue placing blame somewhere else? Give it up already.
you must not come to this forum often. that is always his point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:34 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I was just reading some news online concerning Accra, Ghana, a city of 2.5 million people. I am not going to question the veracity of the reporting of crime.......but only 39 homicides were reported and something like 125 robberies. Crime Rate in Accra Went Down By 22% in 2014 That calculates to a murder rate of 1.56 per 100,000 residents. Compare that with place like Flint, Michigan, with 66 murders per 100,000 residents in a city that is half African American and most of the homicides come from the AA community...which means that the rate per 100,000 for AA is likely over 100.

I do not know what the out of wedlock birth rate is in Ghana, but I am very sure that it is much less than it is in the United States for African Americans. In other words, the family unit is much stronger there than here in the US. Hence, what did Westernization do to the culture of black people? when people say that the problem in America is "black culture".....I disagree. Accra, Ghana is "black culture".
If that 1.56 rate is accurate (according to Wikipedia, Ghana's murder rate the last year they have was slightly higher than the USA), then very good but keep in mind that you have countries like Lesotho with a murder rate more than 7 times the USA.

I agree the out of wedlock rates of AA is a huge part if not the biggest part of the problem. The breakdown of black culture as slaves you would think would be a huge factor but from what I've heard, black crime say 60 yeas ago was quite low compared to now so something happened in the last 60 years to drastically change for the worse black crime. I tend to believe 'The Great Society' which made the Black Husband unnecessary for financial support to the biggest negative factor.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 05-08-2015 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
I was just reading some news online concerning Accra, Ghana, a city of 2.5 million people. I am not going to question the veracity of the reporting of crime.......but only 39 homicides were reported and something like 125 robberies. Crime Rate in Accra Went Down By 22% in 2014 That calculates to a murder rate of 1.56 per 100,000 residents. Compare that with place like Flint, Michigan, with 66 murders per 100,000 residents in a city that is half African American and most of the homicides come from the AA community...which means that the rate per 100,000 for AA is likely over 100.

I do not know what the out of wedlock birth rate is in Ghana, but I am very sure that it is much less than it is in the United States for African Americans. In other words, the family unit is much stronger there than here in the US. Hence, what did Westernization do to the culture of black people? when people say that the problem in America is "black culture".....I disagree. Accra, Ghana is "black culture".
I agree... I think SOME African countries are more responsible than others... I think American Black culture is also very different than those over in Africa.... What people say over here as "black culture" is the culture of teaching their kids to be racists against white people because they believe they are victims of racism... Now, racism still exists in the country and I do believe that it has created poverty and violence in the black community... but I don't think teaching black kids with this idea ingrained into their heads is the solution... the "black culture" is doing something wrong and then claiming to be the victim of circumstance...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:

As a Ghanaian American I can say what you say is accurate. In fact the African-American murder rate is higher than many African countries but is lower than Jamaica.

Daily chart: Two nations | The Economist

Old 05-08-2015, 11:03 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From what I have read, blacks well doing well in the 50s (?) until they started screwing around with the family unit with the welfare system. It has been down hill for many who have used that service - especially with regards to single parent households.

During Reconstruction and up until the 1940s, 75% to 85% of black children lived in two-parent families. Today, more than 70% of black children are born to single women.

Walter Williams... “The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery couldn’t do, what Jim Crow couldn’t do, what the harshest racism couldn’t do and that is to destroy the black family.”
From using my own analysis, my conclusion is that the black family has been broken since slavery (and as a result). Why? Because the traditional role of the male, in the family unit, is provider and protector of the household. In general, white society emasculated the black male, taking away his ability to provide and protect the family from the ravages of racism.

Men who cannot provide for a family tend to feel less than a man.....and those pressures can lead to men leaving a family (or not marrying). However, keep in mind that blacks, up until 1950, were mostly RURAL. In rural areas traditions hold much stronger than in large impersonal urban areas. In small rural areas there is not as many opportunities to to stray from traditions...and back then, shame was a powerful motivating factor. Hence, struggling black males, out of tradition and lack of other opportunities, married and stayed married. Again, I am speaking in general or as a general rule. I am not saying that this was always the case.

One of the big changes came when blacks went from being rural to urban (the great migration up north to places like Detroit, Chicago, New York, Philly). Northern urban settings was a radical change for many AA. Traditions simply do not hold up as well in the impersonal urban setting....especially in the context of the larger American society that was putting more emphasis on individualism and doing your own thing. In this context, there was no longer the glue holding the family unit together, for struggling black males. The black family unit was broken long ago, by breaking the black males ability to provide. It just took it awhile to fall apart.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-08-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
American Black Culture destroyed itself in the later half of the 20th century.

Only an idiot would think Black Culture in Africa and Black Culture in America are relatable.
It's relatable when convenient for racists.

Anyway, American black culture comes from the people they set out to emulate and got their language, religion, and sense of morality from...white America.

Point the finger no further.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:08 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Culture is a LEARNED behavior and not an innate trait. If black people in America have a culture of violence and disrespect for life.....THAT WAS LEARNED IN AMERICA. Our cultural learning came from our interactions with whites. Hence, how whites treated blacks helped to shape what is erroneously called "black culture"
Spoken like a true racist, unable to consider any influence but the one they decide is true. Never mind any other element of truth.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Dare I mention the fact that Ghana as a whole has a gun ownership rate of .3 per 100 residents and ranks 174th out of 178 for gun ownership, both legal and illegal?
Well....if people had the desire to murder you.....they would hack you up with a machete. Even when you just take into account domestic violence.....usually a husband killing a wife or girlfriend, a rate of 1.56 is extremely low.

Now....I have been to Ghana a couple of times.....it was a beautiful experience. Friendly and polite people....hardly ever ran into a "screw face"......this, despite REAL poverty.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Spoken like a true racist, unable to consider any influence but the one they decide is true. Never mind any other element of truth.
Racist or not...it's a fact. Black America is a by-product of the nation that spawned Black Americans. What we have today didn't just appear out of nowhere. It's something that was cultivated although the intent may not have have much to do with the results. The method does though.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If that 1.56 rate is accurate (according to Wikipedia, Ghana's murder rate the last year they have was slightly higher than the USA), then very good but keep in mind that you have countries like Lesotho with a murder rate more than 7 times the USA.

I agree the out of wedlock rates of AA is a huge part if not the biggest part of the problem. The breakdown of black culture as slaves you would think would be a huge factor but from what I've heard, black crime say 60 yeas ago was quite low compared to now so something happened in the last 60 years to drastically change for the worse black crime. I tend to believe 'The Great Society' which made the Black Husband unnecessary for financial support to the biggest negative factor.
Yes.....and note the history of that country in regards to whites influence on the area. Look at all the countries where whites enslaved and or oppressed blacks.......these places have the highest black murder rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies