Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:06 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Great-so let's bring our troops home and focus on protecting our own borders for a change.
yeah, we've been saying that for years....could never understand why Bush never did that and got us involved in Iraq, and then Afghanistan? Since Him I am really down on politicians, b/c after 911 I kept saying, if anything good comes out of this, we will close our borders and wise up, have them patroled, etc...talk about creating jobs?

Start writing your representative....I mean it, the more people write them, maybe it will change, but we've become way to passive and we've got to let them know what we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:08 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, we've been saying that for years....could never understand why Bush never did that and got us involved in Iraq, and then Afghanistan? Since Him I am really down on politicians, b/c after 911 I kept saying, if anything good comes out of this, we will close our borders and wise up, have them patroled, etc...talk about creating jobs?

Start writing your representative....I mean it, the more people write them, maybe it will change, but we've become way to passive and we've got to let them know what we want.
Agreed. I need to write them more-until I am known as a nuisance.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
The Boston Bomber is a US citizen and did not hail from the middle east.

The two Garland, Tx shooters were born and raised in the US. One was born in Illinois and the family relocated to Arizona when he was a child. He converted to Islam in high school to get away from bad influences. The other was born in Texas and experienced an affluent upbringing.

In 2013, there were 70 millions inbound tourists who entered the US, legally. Thus far, all 70 million have posed a lesser risk than US citizens.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 05-08-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
This is probably the only reason they are running with the "terrorists in america" on all networks allasudden:
Collection of millions of Americans phone records is ruled unlawfulLandmark decision by appeals court clears way for full challenge against NSAThe US court of appeals has ruled that the bulk collection of telephone... :: AD HOC NEWS

Old 05-08-2015, 12:20 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
I will agree with you, yes, you may be right, but the fact remains, there have been terrorists here in this country for a long time....

Old 05-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
I will agree with you, yes, you may be right, but the fact remains, there have been terrorists here in this country for a long time....
You'd think a logical response to 9/11 would have included securing the border... Hmmm wth is really going on? I cant hardly believe anything anymore.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:43 PM

29,801 posts, read 24,880,628 times
America, and it's current economic model, would unravel without the fluid movement of deprived labor. At this stage of the game, it appears that the government would prefer to keep the spigot open, in order to satisfy corporate interests. I guess human collateral, much like human capital and labor, holds lesser value in this day and age...

Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As for the 'open border' claim made by the OP, I doubt that many Middle Eastern terrorist are slipping into this country via Mexico.

For one, they would stick out like a sore thumb. I once watched a documentary about six members of Congress (half Democrat, half Republican) who flew down to central America and then followed the routes people take to get to the United States. It was eye-opening concerning just how difficult and dangerous the journey is, even ignoring the drug cartels whose territory one must pass through.

One common factor among the 'illegals' was their desire to leave a bad place (Honduras, etc) and make it to a 'good' place (USA). I doubt such people would simply ignore Middle Eastern men trying to sneak into the US of A in order to do damage to the country these illegals are risking life and limb to reach. I can't imagine the Drug Lords also ignoring them.

As for the border: as I have asked many a time, how does one actually 'seal' a 2,000 mile long border? Perhaps with unbounded manpower and money, but not otherwise. So far we have a 'fence' along 700 miles, with 1,300 to go. On that documentary it showed how some were able to climb up, or dig under, such fencing.

We must recall that drugs used to come here via boat from the Caribbean. When the Coast Guard managed to restrict such smuggling (since boats can show up on radar, etc), then the drug smugglers started coming up through Mexico. I think it more likely that any such Middle Eastern terrorists would try to fly into a Caribbean island, and then try to boat their way here. I feel, when it comes to keeping terrorist from crossing our southern border, the Mexicans and others are just as interested in preventing this as we are.

Of course, we cannot ignore Canada. The 911 terrorists did enter this country via Canada. The USA and Canada have the longest, unsecured border in the world. I think the greater risk is a couple of terrorist flying into Vancouver, and then sneaking, via boat, down to the US of A.

Of course, one problem I have seen people talk about is the 'home grown' terrorists, like the two nutwings that tried to cause death and destruction in Garland. That is, and will be, a problem.

I also recognize that you have many 'legal' immigrants from the Middle East that potentially have plans to commit such terroristic attacks. I view it as a certainty.

It is certainly a problem: the best way to stop those already in this country from committing attacks is through intelligence gathering. Yet, many reasonable people oppose the activities of the NSA, which tends to cast a wide net and violates the privacy rights of innocent citizens. I felt for President Bush since, in the days after the 911 attacks, he responded to the public's cry for 'protection' with new laws and regulations (along with Congress, of course). As the years passed, people began to cry about how Mr. Bush 'wanted' to violate our rights, which I have always doubted. I may have had problems with some of the measures taken, but I did not doubt his love for the country.

Even after President Obama leaves office, and a new president takes the hot seat, I fail to see how that person can do much more, unless said new President takes draconian measures.

As for the OP's Girl Friend's son serving walking out of Homeland Security meetings because he becomes so mad, and, so now, what say we to that: I say, tell your girlfriend's son to stay in the blasted meetings and speak up, instead of getting angry and walking out.

Actually, OP, what was your girlfriend's son getting angry about?
Here's what you aren't getting. These Middle Eastern terrorists types have learned Spanish and have similar skin tones to Mexicans. They are blending in with them to get into our country. If the price is right a coyote would be glad to help them get into our country. Why would you doubt what the FBI Director himself has said? Also, there has been physical evidence by the things they have left behind.

As for the terrorists that came thru the Canadian border they had visas. They didn't slip thru illegally. If the Canadian border is so easy to get thru illegally then by do we mostly have millions of illegal aliens that came thru the Mexican border instead of thru Canada?

I have no reason to doubt that the OP's girlfriend's son did speak up at the HS meetings and his concerns were brushed off and therefore he got angry after that and walked out. Why do you assume he didn't?

Old 05-08-2015, 12:56 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
These Middle Eastern terrorists types have learned Spanish and have similar skin tones to Mexicans.
So while you are searching for brown skinned Arabs who speak Spanish, what are you going to do when a blond blue eyed convert seeks up behind with a bomb in her Pilates bag?

Old 05-08-2015, 12:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
I'd been writing in this forum for years, ever since 911 that terrorists are in these United States and have been for years, especially with our open borders.

Well, people said I was nuts...told me to change my tin foil hate,
and that I was a conspiracy therorist......

For the past week on the news, they have been reporting just that...and that there are thousands of them here....

I stated in my posts, that my Girl friends son served on Homeland Security...and walked out of meetings b/c he was so angry, so now, what do you all have to say?

I say, it is pathetic how this country is run....

and how uninformed Americans are....
this hasnt been a problem only since 911, it is far older than that. in fact going back before world war one when german agents infiltrated this country, same with before and during world war two. and after world war two russian sleeper agents have been in this country as spies, or spy masters in various guises. and it isnt just the open enemies of this country either, even our allies have their spies and agents around this country, we do the same thing to other countries.

i understand your frustration my friend, i have had many people say the same things about me over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies