Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 PM

8,290 posts, read 3,775,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
What immigration laws did the tribes have in place? As for theft, violence, and murder, the Indians did plenty of that long before white men set foot on these shores.
I've studied this extensively. Natives had tribal laws that defined territories and limited trespassing. They also had laws that governed multiple territories along with established territorial and trade agreements.

Whether Native Americans committed theft, violence and murder isn't really the question. I'm sure many did, while most were just trying to raise their families. But they weren't Christian and thus your assessment of theft, violence and murder does not apply to them.

Your previous statements about Christianity is quite interesting, however. You have a valid point. It can be argued that New World founders and colonists violated the religion and thus were not Christians. Their use of violence, murder and theft is in support of your implied theory.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:47 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,762,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Whether Native Americans committed theft, violence and murder isn't really the question. I'm sure many did, while most were just trying to raise their families. But they weren't Christian and thus your assessment of theft, violence and murder does not apply to them.
Prohibition of murder and theft are not exclusively Christian, they are universally applicable to all human societies.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,043,718 times
Quote:
Really? Are you actually saying that a non-Christian can murder and steal? Should "Night Stalker" Richard Ramirez been able to successfully use his being a Satanist as a defense?
I never said anything like that at all. I made no comment about what non-Christians can or cannot do. This is your second attempt to sidestep the actual discussion... which was about your statement in regards to Christians breaking the commandments. You're saying that my ancestors were not Christian because they broke the commandments when they came to the New World. I'm just following up on that. Nothing about Native Americans.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I never said anything like that at all. I made no comment about what non-Christians can or cannot do. This is your second attempt to sidestep the actual discussion... which was about your statement in regards to Christians breaking the commandments. You're saying that my ancestors were not Christian because they broke the commandments when they came to the New World. I'm just following up on that. Nothing about Native Americans.
I never said a word about your ancestors that was not a reply to you post, and I never implied that they were not Christians.

Here is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That is such a strange way to attack my ancestors that came to the "New World". Are you suggesting that they weren't Christian?
I asked in response if they had broken any immigration laws.

Quote:
Did your ancestors violate immigration laws?
Anyways, keeping the commandments has very little to do with being a Christian. If we were capable of doing that then Jesus wouldn't have had to give his life and be resurrected.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Prohibition of murder and theft are not exclusively Christian, they are universally applicable to all human societies.
No one said that prohibition of murder and theft is exclusively Christian. As another poster mentioned, you seem to be sidestepping the actual discussion about your statement in regards to Christians and the Commandments. I'm not sure if you're doing this on purpose or you're having trouble focusing, but it's obvious that you're doing it. You're the one who brought up the Commandments. Only a handful of religions answer to the Commandments. This include Christianity. You're right that those who came to America and colonized here centuries ago violated the Commandments. You're indirect assertion that people who are living on American soil have overstayed their welcome and thus they are not Christian is an interesting one, to say the least.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
You're the one who brought up the Commandments.
No I didn't. I was responding to blind melon who was responding to oldglory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wow, so only Latin so-called "immigrants" have good work ethics, family values and are religious? Americans don't possess those qualities already? Yep, no racism there, right? If they are so religious then why do they break so many of God's commandments starting with thumbing their noses at our immigration laws and stealing jobs from Americans who need to support their families and that's just the tip of the iceberg of the numerous commandments they break. I guess going to church is all that matters not what you do outside of church or how you live your life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Which commandment talks about immigration laws?

I missed that lesson in church.

Thou shall not overstay your visa or jump the fence, so said the lord
Quote:
"Thou shall not steal" and "thou shall not covet" come to mind.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
No I didn't. I was responding to blind melon who was responding to oldglory.
It appears that you're right. It's Old Glory's indirect assertion that Americans are not Christian by proxy of overstaying their welcome on stolen land. However, you did come out in support by identifying the Commandments in discussion.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It appears that you're right. It's Old Glory's indirect assertion that Americans are not Christian by proxy of overstaying their welcome on stolen land. However, you did come out in support by identifying the Commandments in discussion.
Sure, and those commandments are universally applicable. You don't find any successful human society where theft is condoned.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,043,718 times
Quote:
Sure, and those commandments are universally applicable. You don't find any successful human society where theft is condoned.
I'm utterly surprised. I don't know what to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies