Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times

Advertisements

Ten-year-old's pregnancy sparks Paraguay abortion debate

The fact someone is questioning an abortion in this case shows why abortion needs to continue being legal.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
This is a sincere question. Why do Christians feel like they have to stop everyone (of every faith or no faith) from having an abortion. I see that killing a baby (however defined vis-a-vis a fetus) is a sin for Christians. Makes sense. So if they want to stop the members of their own faith from having an abortion, okay, fine, whatever.

But if a expectant mother is not a Christian, what gives you the right to impose your values on the mother who don't share your values or faith? The baby is not going to be Christian, at least until decades after birth, either. So, I don't get it.

Do you go around telling Buddhists to rest and pray on Sundays, Muslims not to covet their neighbor's wife, and so on? Would like Muslims to tell you not to drink or eat bacon? Or Jews to tell you not to use electricity during sabbath?

Planned Parenthood staff has a saying, that the exceptions to abortion are, "Rape, Incest and Mine." The protestors' daughters come in to the clinic with the mom to get an abortion, and the staff and provider have to work on the daughter while the mom is insulting them. Not to mention daughters of religious leaders and conservative politicians . . . Hypocrisy is unreal.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
This will always be a heated topic. I know largely Christian oppose it but it isn't only Christians either. So I guess it's like anything else if people think it is wrong they will speak against it. Killing people in general is a crime and if it were to become legal people would be against it especially Christians. Even though not everyone is a Christian they would protest Thou Shall Not Murder.
The debate here has always been when is it considered a person and when/what is more important woman's rights or the unborn rights.

As for what you are saying that's unbelievable. If your are protesting something you are against it so why would you do it. That seriously bothers me- hypocrisy. Not to Mentone insulting them? Wow.

"UNICEF recently reported that two girls a day between the ages of 10 and 14 give birth in Paraguay."

That's terrible!

I also don't understand why the mother was arrested. Unless she knew of course. But it says she simply enabled it she was always gone to work? This doesn't seem right if that's the case. When you go to work and leave the child with the parent/step parent or whoever else you obviously don't expect them to come to harm. You trust them.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Should be sparking why we are still so lenient on child rape debate.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:52 AM

19,832 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Is this a debate or a current event? If it is a debate, then the OP chose the wrong forum.

Speaking to this event. I hope the sperm donor step-father is finally caught and gets plenty of prison loving to teach him how very wrong it is to rape little girls. At least the girl's mother was arrested for aiding the stepfather in the abuse.

Sadly, UNICEF reported that 2 girls a day between the ages of 10 - 14 give birth in Paraguay.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:52 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
What should be spoken about is the pedophile who impregnated this child.

Yes, she shouldn't be held back from having an abortion but the most egregious issue is a 10 y/o pregnant in the first place.

Oh my, age of consent is 12..

Quote:

PARAGUAY LAWS: 1. Has no sodomy laws, the age of sexual consent is 12 for
all, but it can be punishable under certain circumstances when specific charges
of "corruption of minors" and "offences against public morals" are introduced.

Legislation against child sex tourism[SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]

Penalties relating to sex offences and crime against children in the country

[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]for the sex exploiter (customer)[/SIZE]
    • Sexual violation is when a person is forced to engage in sexual acts
      involuntarily. More specifically it is when force or intimidation is used,
      when the victim was not in a proper state of mind or when the victim could
      not defend himself or herself. Sexual violation is punished by: 18-24 years
      in jail when the victim is younger than 10 years old; 10-20 years in jail
      when the victim is 10-16 years old; 6-10 years in jail for all other cases.
      If the violation results in death of the victim or if it was committed by
      more than one person at the same time, the sentence is increased by half of the
      maximum.

Law 1, 374 Art.314, 315.
Paraguay - Age of Consent

Old 05-10-2015, 08:53 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
That poor girl. I hope she survives the birth and the slime that did this to her is caught and strung up.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:59 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
This is a sincere question. Why do Christians feel like they have to stop everyone (of every faith or no faith) from having an abortion. I see that killing a baby (however defined vis-a-vis a fetus) is a sin for Christians. Makes sense. So if they want to stop the members of their own faith from having an abortion, okay, fine, whatever.

But if a expectant mother is not a Christian, what gives you the right to impose your values on the mother who don't share your values or faith? The baby is not going to be Christian, at least until decades after birth, either. So, I don't get it.

Do you go around telling Buddhists to rest and pray on Sundays, Muslims not to covet their neighbor's wife, and so on? Would like Muslims to tell you not to drink or eat bacon? Or Jews to tell you not to use electricity during sabbath?

Planned Parenthood staff has a saying, that the exceptions to abortion are, "Rape, Incest and Mine." The protestors' daughters come in to the clinic with the mom to get an abortion, and the staff and provider have to work on the daughter while the mom is insulting them. Not to mention daughters of religious leaders and conservative politicians . . . Hypocrisy is unreal.

It goes both ways. There is a thread over in the non-romantic relationships forum where the OP is pregnant and states that she believes abortion is murder. You still have many people on that thread still tying to talk her into an abortion.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:05 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
It goes both ways. There is a thread over in the non-romantic relationships forum where the OP is pregnant and states that she believes abortion is murder. You still have many people on that thread still tying to talk her into an abortion.
Point taken, but no one (and I mean no one) can force her to abort. Pressure, sure. Force, no. But the government can force her to carry the baby to term in states where Roe v. Wade has been chipped away. So, the question is, between the woman and the government, who should have the ultimate say. Ditto for a disagreement between a couple - should the guy be able to make the girl give birth? I'd say the tie breaker needs to go to the woman, no?

Mick

Old 05-10-2015, 10:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The choice to abort or not is, IMHO, entirely owned by the pregnant woman or child. Others may advise her but may never coerce threaten or use any force whatsoever to determine the outcome. This ban on force applies equally to her relatives, including husband, lover or rapist, and to the government as well.

From my point of view some Christian doctrines, particularly Catholic, state that having an abortion will send a woman to Hell when she dies. I think forcing a 10 year old girl to have a baby will just get her there sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies