Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Sure, by upping insurance profits. The reason the ACA exists because those in power on the far right love it but will never admit it while their dividends increase. It will change over time but not like most idiot far flung right wing zealots think. It will be like what we already have--medicare with regulated for-profits as riders. And as it should be.
The premise that Obamacare was intended to fail is beyond silly. The left could have just as well pushed through a public option or single payer. Our current HC abortion is the result of compromises. Compromises to the conservatives and big HC business.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
123-Year-Old Major Health Insurance Provider
Not so major -about 1% of the market and known and fined for scuzzy practices in the past.

Assurant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Assurant Health has been repeatedly found to cancel health policies for some customers that have serious medical conditions, and 12 states have criticized the firm for denying claims, with most of the states levying fines against Assurant.[15] [16][17] A number of individual cases have been reported.

In September 2009, the South Carolina Supreme Court upheld a lower court’s verdict and ordered Assurant Health (then known as "Fortis") to pay $10 million to policyholder Jerome Mitchell, who had contracted HIV subsequent to getting an insurance policy through Assurant Health. In court proceedings, it was revealed that the company's policy was to target every policyholder recently diagnosed with HIV for an automatic fraud investigation, as the company searched for any pretext to revoke ("rescind") their policy...."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ticle-1.175757
Assurant Insurance's greed and callous neglect of ill Americans is truly sickening - March 2010

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2...onditions.html
On October 23, 2005, Jennifer Latham and her husband Alex were severely injured when a meth dealer, fleeing police in Longmont, Colorado, ran a stop sign and broadsided their car. Jennifer suffered shattered legs, head trauma, and internal injuries.

Two months after the accident, Jennifer received a letter from her health insurance company, Assurant Health, stating her policy was being rescinded because she failed to disclose pertinent history on her application, including a 2004 emergency room visit for shortness of breath, which after an EKG and examination doctors blamed on anxiety.
The jury decided that Assurant breached its contract with Jennifer Latham and owed her: $183,551 for medical bills.... all told, the package of punitive and compensatory damages totaled $37.3 million.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:32 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The Mass healthcare law was the brain child of former House Speaker Sal DiMasi, who's now doing time in club fed for corruption. Once it hit his desk Romney vetoed many sections of the law including the employer mandate but with the deep blue legislature the veto was overridden and he was basically along for the ride. If ignorance is bliss you leftists are in heaven....
Same old bs. Just keep saying it over and over again. I can take it another level. The idea of a mandate was hatched by the Heritage Foundation and we can even go farther back in time. My point is this, it only makes sense that a conservative think tank would come up with the idea of creating a mandate that benefits big business not the middle class and not small business, but the major players, you know, the ones with the cash, not those pesky the voters.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
ACA is expected to cost $1.7 trillion dollars over a 10 year period while keeping 30 million uninsured, pretty much the number we started with.

And you think its the insurance companies that need to disappear. pathetic..
True, the costs are out of this world. It cost about a billion to build the tallest building in the world out in Dubia. A federal health insurance website also cost a billion dollars and is absolutely crazy to me. Health care is also crazy stupid high with no controls in sight. Rates are high because they can be, and continue to be because their are no controls, there is no competition. Nothing but collusion.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Reading comments on here, you'd think that we have a single payor system in this country. Communist? Really?

I attribute that to most of those posters are covered by Medicare.

Mick

Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
ACA is Communist Hellth Care.
We need 100% Repeal.
TORT Reform
50 State Access for ALL insurance.
At least ONCE, do what America was made for,
FREE MARKETS,
Hey, we have NOT tried that Yet.
Tort reform, are you kidding? Do you even know what it is? Trivia, has any state passed tort and has it worked? Oh, hell no.

Free market? let me laugh. Have you ever heard of anti-trust legislation? Of course not.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The problem of course is that this wont actually fix the problem either.

Insurance industry averages about 3% profit margin.. the problem isnt the cost of insurance, its that treatments are so expensive. until they figure out how to reduce the cost of treatment, insurance costs cant be contained.
That 3% margins has been proven over and over and over again to be wrong and proven to be wrong targeted at you specifically. Must I cut and paste?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Same old bs. Just keep saying it over and over again. I can take it another level. The idea of a mandate was hatched by the Heritage Foundation and we can even go farther back in time. My point is this, it only makes sense that a conservative think tank would come up with the idea of creating a mandate that benefits big business not the middle class and not small business, but the major players, you know, the ones with the cash, not those pesky the voters.
If it's BS prove what I posted was wrong. Please feel free to take it to another level. I haven't enjoyed a laugh at your expense in a little while now. I'll wait.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:09 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,250,687 times
Quote:
Tort reform, are you kidding? Do you even know what it is? Trivia, has any state passed tort and has it worked? Oh, hell no.

Free market? let me laugh. Have you ever heard of anti-trust legislation? Of course not.

because liberals are scared to make it really work.
Unless they have thier hands in it, they will always say no to try it.
I'd rather have free market dictate the price rather than "gubmit".
but you sheeple who worship the pagan god Obama will always say yes to what he says.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Oh, let's have a pity party for Assurant Health ... NOT.

Assurant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems that thanks to Obamacare, this outfit won't continue screwing over any more Americans!
They could not compete when the playing field was leveled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies