Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Well, that's better than none.

And how about this one;

Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition - RAMP
I've heard of RAMP. Are any republican politicians members? Serious question, I have been unable to find any info on members.

Quote:
Three republicans joining a bill authored/co-authored by thirty five democrats hardly represents the republican party as wanting to end the drug war.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:10 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Then start with obesity in the south.
So there is no obesity outside of the South?

Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Which I agree the part about the laws being unjust, but the president is not the one to determine the justness of laws. The branch of government at change the law is either congress or the courts, not the president. The office of the president has already been bastardized to afford way to much power. The checks and balances are out of whack, and the president determining what laws not to enforce at his leisure pushes the balance even further.

Some things are more important than pot laws.

Individual freedoms and liberties, one of the premises of what this nation was founded on is extremely important to me. And those freedoms should NEVER be compromised unless that person harms another! IMO nobody in DC on either side of the aisle is representing our interests, adhering to the Constitution, and haven't been for awhile!

Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
So there is no obesity outside of the South?

It's just worse in the south. But I don't see any Republicans talking about obesity beyond fighting for the right to suck down a Big Gulp.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
I've heard of RAMP. Are any republican politicians members? Serious question, I have been unable to find any info on members.
I don't know.

Quote:
Three republicans joining a bill authored/co-authored by thirty five democrats hardly represents the republican party as wanting to end the drug war.
I never said the Republican Party wants to end the war on drugs.

But neither does the Democratic Party. In fact, they want to step up the war on drugs. Here is their platform;

Dry up drug demand via more enforcement plus more treatment

We should send a strong message to every child: drugs are wrong & can kill you. We need to dry up drug demand, hold up drugs at the border, and break up the drug rings that spread poison on our streets. We should open more drug courts, to speed justice for drug-related crimes; double the number of drug hot-spots where we aggressively target our enforcement efforts; expand drug treatment for at-risk youth; make sure that all of our school zones are drug-free; and provide drug treatment upon demand.

Fight drugs and economic hopelessness that fuels it

Our nation is afflicted with drugs. We must continue to combat traffickers. We must have a Drug Czar. We must work with our allies to fight the blood money of the drug trade. We must remember that the drug trade reflects the economics of hopelessness. Farmers have been drawn to cultivate these crops as a means for economic survival. The Democratic Party understands that no policy of prosecution will succeed unless it is combined with robust investment in alternative ways to make a living.

Democratic Party on Drugs

That's not exactly a platform to end the war on drugs or any part of it.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:18 PM

463 posts, read 320,434 times
Quote:
So don't act like Obama supports legalization. He doesn't.
I never said that. I can assure you that after 77 years of prohibition, with the vast majority of that time spent in the "it's politically correct to wage war on marijuana" category, NO sitting president at this point in time would come out and actually say he supports legalization.

It has been only recently that it has become politically correct to NOT ARREST cannabis users. But the feds always move very slowly on stuff like this, so it will still be a while before any changes are made.

But I can say that the feds have stated on record that they will not interfere with the growing cannabis industry in states where it has been legalized (as long as federal land isn't used). Considering where we were just a few short years ago, I would say that's pretty good progress!

Old 05-12-2015, 03:37 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
Quote:
I don't know.

I never said the Republican Party wants to end the war on drugs.

But neither does the Democratic Party. In fact, they want to step up the war on drugs. Here is their platform;

Dry up drug demand via more enforcement plus more treatment

We should send a strong message to every child: drugs are wrong & can kill you. We need to dry up drug demand, hold up drugs at the border, and break up the drug rings that spread poison on our streets. We should open more drug courts, to speed justice for drug-related crimes; double the number of drug hot-spots where we aggressively target our enforcement efforts; expand drug treatment for at-risk youth; make sure that all of our school zones are drug-free; and provide drug treatment upon demand.

Fight drugs and economic hopelessness that fuels it

Our nation is afflicted with drugs. We must continue to combat traffickers. We must have a Drug Czar. We must work with our allies to fight the blood money of the drug trade. We must remember that the drug trade reflects the economics of hopelessness. Farmers have been drawn to cultivate these crops as a means for economic survival. The Democratic Party understands that no policy of prosecution will succeed unless it is combined with robust investment in alternative ways to make a living.

Democratic Party on Drugs

That's not exactly a platform to end the war on drugs or any part of it.
I agree that neither party overall wants to end the war on drugs.

However, Republicans make the Democrats look like pikers:

Jail time and school drug testing deters drug use

Clinton surrendered Drug War; cry out for drug-free schools

Aggressively pursue drug kingpins; include death penalty

Republican Party on Drugs

Old 05-12-2015, 03:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An interesting revelation from the MJ legalization currently under way in my state has been how popular pot smoking is among denizens of the left. The Seattle City Attorney celebrated legalization by buying some pot and bringing it to the office.
Seattle's Attorney Pete Holmes Takes Pot To Work, Apologizes (And Smokes)

I guess that there is probably less alcohol consumption on the right due to the number of conservative Christians, but other than that I don't see a difference in right-wing vs. left wing boozing. But there is this huge dichotomy when it comes to marijuana use. No doubt there are some right-wing libertarians who indulge, but in my experience they are mostly ex-users. A local libertarian candidate here said that (paraphrase) 'we are gun-toting economists on drugs.' But like most Libertarians, if he ever used drugs it was probably over 30 years ago.

I asked a liberal/progressive friend who is a non-pot-smoker about this. He immediately agreed that it is far more prevalent on the left. He explained, "we're more relaxed; we're not as uptight as the right."

Why are so many on the left enamoured of smoking the wacky tobacky?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Where did I do that? Which phrase or sentence?
No specific words or phrases...just tone.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:45 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
What's especially strange is that the most "progressive" places (California, NYC) have been at the forefront of making smoking tobacco damn near illegal. So you want to do away with smoking tobacco and replace it with smoking weed? I don't get it.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 PM

934 posts, read 595,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
What's especially strange is that the most "progressive" places (California, NYC) have been at the forefront of making smoking tobacco damn near illegal. So you want to do away with smoking tobacco and replace it with smoking weed? I don't get it.
Cigarettes are not illegal in California, you are wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies