Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
First of all, there is no real political left anymore.

Liberals, true liberals, disappeared when the hippies went away.

What passes for a liberal today is a politically opportunistic statist who has used up all the traditional victims of white male intolerance and privilege (women, blacks, etc).

With fewer and fewer quality victims upon which to proclaim their benevolent support, statists passing themselves off as liberals and libertarians have had to invent new victims and new causes hoping to retain relevance in the era of black and female affirmative action.

Enter: homosexuals, transgenders, illegal aliens and weed heads.

Of course this should not come as a surprise to anyone since Democrats, the larval form of statists, are always seeking causes for which there can be no debate to attach their unpopular and often unconstitutional initiatives hoping to ram whatever it is down out throats thereby retaining political relevance.
Good post!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Conservatives think things are bad simply because they are against the law, that's why.
This really doesn't make sense.

Liberals seem to think soda is bad, so they want to ban it.

There is widespread support for anti-tobacco laws, but the more so from the left.

Liberals justify hate speech laws because it is harmful (so they say).

Conservatives are moving in the direction of supporting legal marijuana. Some are doing so simply because of the tremendous waste of public funds on law enforcement dedicated to drug laws. Others, more libertarian oriented, see it as yet another example of government intrusion into people's lives.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This really doesn't make sense.

Liberals seem to think soda is bad, so they want to ban it.

There is widespread support for anti-tobacco laws, but the more so from the left.

Liberals justify hate speech laws because it is harmful (so they say).

Conservatives are moving in the direction of supporting legal marijuana. Some are doing so simply because of the tremendous waste of public funds on law enforcement dedicated to drug laws. Others, more libertarian oriented, see it as yet another example of government intrusion into people's lives.

The bolded is my exact stance! A waste of time and resources, and the government has no business telling adults what they can and cannot consume.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:03 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes there is some irony there.

Yes cigarettes are bad. It's one habit I wish I could truly quit. Nevertheless, I'm a grown a** man, and I don't need the government telling me what is and isn't good for me. Not to get too far off track, but I cannot stand the government mandated smoking bans on businesses! It should be at the discretion of a business owner as to whether they allow it in their establishment, or not, and it should be up to the individual to choose whether or not they patronize that establishment, or go elsewhere that doesn't allow smoking.
I know! We had a statewide ballot measure here in 2005 to ban smoking in all businesses, including bars. My argument was that if you don't want to go into a building where people are smoking, don't go in. But it passed by 63%
http://ballotpedia.org/Washington_Sm...tive_901_(2005)

Then in 2012 we had initiative 502 to legalize marijuana, which also passed, this time by 55%. I can't prove it, but just from conversations w/ friends I believe that there was a huge overlap among those who voted 'yes' for both. What is the hidden operating principle that would cause someone to support a tobacco ban AND a marijuana un-ban? I don't know.... Maybe it is the politics of taste. We all know that there's no accounting for taste.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
I am not a "leftist" and I support legalizing it. This is not a solid left or right politics issue.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why? They hate reality.
This statement is a perfect example of how clueless cons are about pot. One doesn't live in an alternate reality when smoking pot. It doesn't make one have delusions. Good grief, why do people spook so easily? Read up on things before posting.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An interesting revelation from the MJ legalization currently under way in my state has been how popular pot smoking is among denizens of the left. The Seattle City Attorney celebrated legalization by buying some pot and bringing it to the office.
Seattle's Attorney Pete Holmes Takes Pot To Work, Apologizes (And Smokes)

I guess that there is probably less alcohol consumption on the right due to the number of conservative Christians, but other than that I don't see a difference in right-wing vs. left wing boozing. But there is this huge dichotomy when it comes to marijuana use. No doubt there are some right-wing libertarians who indulge, but in my experience they are mostly ex-users. A local libertarian candidate here said that (paraphrase) 'we are gun-toting economists on drugs.' But like most Libertarians, if he ever used drugs it was probably over 30 years ago.

I asked a liberal/progressive friend who is a non-pot-smoker about this. He immediately agreed that it is far more prevalent on the left. He explained, "we're more relaxed; we're not as uptight as the right."

Why are so many on the left enamoured of smoking the wacky tobacky?
(Said in my best valley voice) Dude, it's just a plant. Dude.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
First of all, there is no real political left anymore.

Liberals, true liberals, disappeared when the hippies went away.

What passes for a liberal today is a politically opportunistic statist who has used up all the traditional victims of white male intolerance and privilege (women, blacks, etc).

With fewer and fewer quality victims upon which to proclaim their benevolent support, statists passing themselves off as liberals and libertarians have had to invent new victims and new causes hoping to retain relevance in the era of black and female affirmative action.

Enter: homosexuals, transgenders, illegal aliens and weed heads.

Of course this should not come as a surprise to anyone since Democrats, the larval form of statists, are always seeking causes for which there can be no debate to attach their unpopular and often unconstitutional initiatives hoping to ram whatever it is down out throats thereby retaining political relevance.
Predictable rant about liberals but do you have anything to contribute regarding the actual topic instead of the usual "liberals suck" angle?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Conservatives think things are bad simply because they are against the law, that's why.
Conservatives, especially the ones in Red States, pretty strongly believe that getting high on marijuana is, by far, one of the worst things you can possibly do to yourself. They feel it's even worse than getting drunk. Therefore, conservatives think the government must be used to protect the people from marijuana, even if innocent people must suffer on the way to finding guilty people in use of marijuana.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why are so many on the left enamoured of smoking the wacky tobacky?
Every Libertarian I know supports legalization of marijuana. And some say Libertarians are "right wing". Personally, I think the Left / Right labels are useless and totally misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies