Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:05 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

You just can't make this stuff up.....

Michelle Obama: Museums Don

Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You just can't make this stuff up.....

This is too funny,

She said,

You see, there are so many kids in this country who look at places like museums and concert halls and other cultural centers and they think to themselves, ‘well, that’s not a place for me, for someone who looks like me, for someone who comes from my neighborhood.’ In fact, I guarantee you that right now, there are kids living less than a mile from here who would never in a million years dream that they would be welcome in this museum. And growing up on the South Side of Chicago, I was one of those kids myself. So I know that feeling of not belonging in a place like this. And today, as first lady, I know how that feeling limits the horizons of far too many of our young people.

What a load of crap. As an artist myself, I know this much to be true. THE ONLY damn reason you feel the museums do not belong to you is because you DO NOT appreciate arts. Many people don't find arts interesting or appealing. Has nothing to do with the color of their skins. Period.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I probably wouldn't feel too welcome on a basketball court in Chicago either. Grow the F up and deal with it.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Everything is about black victimization with this lady. What does she mean by "welcome" at these venues? Is there someone turning them away?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is too funny,

She said,

You see, there are so many kids in this country who look at places like museums and concert halls and other cultural centers and they think to themselves, ‘well, that’s not a place for me, for someone who looks like me, for someone who comes from my neighborhood.’ In fact, I guarantee you that right now, there are kids living less than a mile from here who would never in a million years dream that they would be welcome in this museum. And growing up on the South Side of Chicago, I was one of those kids myself. So I know that feeling of not belonging in a place like this. And today, as first lady, I know how that feeling limits the horizons of far too many of our young people.

What a load of crap. As an artist myself, I know this much to be true. THE ONLY damn reason you feel the museums do not belong to you is because you DO NOT appreciate arts. Many people don't find arts interesting or appealing. Has nothing to do with the color of their skins. Period.

Actually, many kids from homes that don't appreciate the art or that live in neighborhoods of working class or low income people truly do feel that museums aren't places they should be. They think those places are only for richer people and so they don't want to go due to that.

I know this because I felt the same way as a kid. I felt very uncomfortable at the thought of going to our local museum ( which is small but is world class and is a wonderful place). Luckily we did go there on field trips and the docents and staff people expressed to us that our museum was for everyone in our area, no matter their class or neighborhood. We also got offered catalogs for art classes, most of which focused on the museum's collection and our thoughts and interpretation of the works. Through that program, my brother and I both acquired an appreciation for the arts. Unfortunately, not all museums are like the one I went to as a kid and some of them do come off as rather snobby and unwelcome places.

No one is born with an appreciation for art. They may have an interest in art but to appreciate it, one needs to have an interaction with it and with people who appreciate it.

ETA: Many museums are also very expensive to attend. Now a days they do usually have a free day, but not in all areas. Where I grew up the museum is free everyday I went multiple times per week from aged 10 and up because I could ride my bike over and just go in by myself (this was the late 80s/early 90s before people got nutso about kids going places by themselves).

Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Everything is about black victimization with this lady. What does she mean by "welcome" at these venues? Is there someone turning them away?
You have to pay to get in.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Perhaps it's relevant that many kids of any race aren't really interested in spending their time at museums, concert halls and cultural centers. It might look more normal without the blinders.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
One wonders if Mooch has ever seen the Brooklyn Museum on Target First Saturdays let alone on any other day of the week.

Maybe it's just Michelle's inferiority complex. After all, she doesn't even like her own natural born hair.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
To the OP, she never said that museums make "minority" people not feel welcome.

It is you and your ilk who are putting a racial focus on all her comments. Guess you have to start a new racial thread about Michelle Obama now that the other one was closed.

When this one is closed, will you start one about how racist she is for starting a program to get housing for veterans??

Guess I'll wait and see.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually, many kids from homes that don't appreciate the art or that live in neighborhoods of working class or low income people truly do feel that museums aren't places they should be. They think those places are only for richer people and so they don't want to go due to that.

I know this because I felt the same way as a kid. I felt very uncomfortable at the thought of going to our local museum ( which is small but is world class and is a wonderful place). Luckily we did go there on field trips and the docents and staff people expressed to us that our museum was for everyone in our area, no matter their class or neighborhood. We also got offered catalogs for art classes, most of which focused on the museum's collection and our thoughts and interpretation of the works. Through that program, my brother and I both acquired an appreciation for the arts. Unfortunately, not all museums are like the one I went to as a kid and some of them do come off as rather snobby and unwelcome places.

No one is born with an appreciation for art. They may have an interest in art but to appreciate it, one needs to have an interaction with it and with people who appreciate it.

ETA: Many museums are also very expensive to attend. Now a days they do usually have a free day, but not in all areas. Where I grew up the museum is free everyday I went multiple times per week from aged 10 and up because I could ride my bike over and just go in by myself (this was the late 80s/early 90s before people got nutso about kids going places by themselves).
Quote:

And....That usually begins with the parents. If your parents don't fancy art then you most likely won't be exposed to it. There's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of successful and happy people know nothing about art and that's due to their upbringing or possibly life choices. It's not due to discrimination as Ms. Obama implies......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies