Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:09 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
If you honestly think you have it harder than the younger people, you're completely ignorant of the economic reality. Assuming you're the age you imply, the ONLY thing your generation had harder was the Draft. That's it. And once that went away, while it wasn't "easy sailing" it was economically easier in every measurable way.

You sound like those laughable old farts at work - the ones who have been there 30 years, have a pension lined up, 6 weeks of vacation, and who basically get to scrape by doing the bare minimum because the company will never get rid of them. And yet day in and day out, they whine to everyone about how "screwed" they are and how "hard" life is, even though they are getting paid twice market rate for their obsolete skills and bad attitude, and - poor babies - have to come in to work when they could be spending their time at home (bought when homes were affordable) or on their boat (when that was practical) and so on.

Yeah, life is really "hard" for a generation where you could work a full career at a few places, probably get a pension, most likely do decently enough one income, and pull it all off - complete with the paid-off white picket fenced suburban home - with little to no college education. And if you DID get to college, it was actually affordable and you were practically guaranteed a job on graduation (assuming a remotely useful major) vs. watching your employment prospects be sent overseas or replaced by semi-legal visa workers thanks to sociopaths who sell out their nation to be a bit richer.

Cry me a river about how "hard" you've had it, or how - insanely - you wish to blame the younger people for the nation's problems vs. challenging those in power who made those decisions while the Millennials were in diapers or not even yet born. But that level of intellectual honesty might require you looking in a mirror to see which generation it was who sold us out - too bad.
I'm sure that huge glaring chip on your shoulder and the 4000-plus posts you've laid out, probably many during working hours, have nothing to do with your bitter failure to achieve the American Dream that you hold so much envy for.

My goodness do your posts reek of whiny millenialism.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
If you honestly think you have it harder than the younger people, you're completely ignorant of the economic reality. Assuming you're the age you imply, the ONLY thing your generation had harder was the Draft. That's it. And once that went away, while it wasn't "easy sailing" it was economically easier in every measurable way.
Oh that draft thing that you so grudgingly acknowledge. Growing up and for a decade watching the body count rise on TV every night knowing that in a year or two you were going to go. Apart from that everything was roses ... through the eyes of a Millenial who learned history through prejudice and envy instead of actually studying. Wait ... I almost forgot to mention that nuclear armageddon thing that we lived with and you missed every bit of. Sure it was all one big beer chugging party for lazy union pension-holders down at the pub outside the mill. Lol. My message to you is grow up, actually do your homework and you'll see that there haven't been any golden halcyon days when everything was better and YOUR age is the hardest one ever. They've all come with their own hardships. Yours different than ours. Different but not harder. I've lived long enough to see that in every decade people wring their hands and pi$$ and moan about how the country and the world are going to $hit. They aren't, overall things haven't gotten worse ... only different. That's just weak loser talk. I'm not blind to things that are worse but you are blind to things that are MUCH better now. The "woe is our generation" bunch have always been the ones who couldn't adapt, couldn't figure out how to make their way in the changing world they inhabited and seethed with envy at the people who achieved. I see plenty of young people achieving and their success recipe is so time tested and straightforward. Brains, education, hard work.

Since you brought up economic "easy sailing" let me give you a quick refresher on the economy of the golden 70s that you so obviously need. Inflation exceeding 10%, unemployment at 9%, home mortgage rates hitting 21%, 45% capital gains taxes, five hr gas lines. Oh they were just throwing those little white picket fenced homes at old blue collar farts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123
You sound like those laughable old farts at work - the ones who have been there 30 years, have a pension lined up, 6 weeks of vacation, and who basically get to scrape by doing the bare minimum because the company will never get rid of them. And yet day in and day out, they whine to everyone about how "screwed" they are and how "hard" life is, even though they are getting paid twice market rate for their obsolete skills and bad attitude, and - poor babies - have to come in to work when they could be spending their time at home (bought when homes were affordable) or on their boat (when that was practical) and so on.
This drips with the jealousy of a have-not who'd rather blame a previous generation rather than just bust their butt and move ahead of them or switch freakin careers if you aren't working in a meritocracy. Reread the above section. You sound EXACTLY like the whiny old farts you just complained about. I can't imagine what you're going to be like when you're an old fart too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123
Yeah, life is really "hard" for a generation where you could work a full career at a few places, probably get a pension, most likely do decently enough one income, and pull it all off - complete with the paid-off white picket fenced suburban home - with little to no college education. And if you DID get to college, it was actually affordable and you were practically guaranteed a job on graduation (assuming a remotely useful major) vs. watching your employment prospects be sent overseas or replaced by semi-legal visa workers thanks to sociopaths who sell out their nation to be a bit richer.
Ignorance and envy oozes from this post. Pensions? Full career at a few places? No college education? Unaffected by off-shoring? You picked the wrong guy to expose yourself to with this drivel. I've got my not-paid-off-yet modest home and put four kids through college and it wasn't because of some fat pensioned gimme job. I spent nine years getting graduate degrees in engineering and have been through every sort of tech roller coaster ride through many companies. Start-ups that folded, downturns and reductions in salary and benefits, survived so many layoffs I can't even count them. Even at my age I still work 90hr wks during crunch periods. Let me tell you about off-shoring. I have to travel to Shanghai to guide our off-shored lab division that used to be right down the hall from me. Engineers that don't begin to stack up to the Americans that were laid off. Don't tell me I don't know or live with the consequences. I've paid my freakin dues to get my little house. How about you? Obviously not.

I've told you what I do for my gimme pensioners life. Time for you to tell me what your educational and employment track has been.

Last edited by Wee-Bey; 05-15-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 11:13 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
I'm just going to sit and wait. 5 years from now millennials and those younger the US will outnumber the baby boomers generation, aka the *******s who ****ed up our economy and infrastructure, lost us thousands of lives in pointless wars that cost us billions of dollars, ruined the social safety net, rolled the clock back on women's rights, oppose universal health care at every turn and tried to impose their religious beliefs as laws all thanks to their choices in political candidates.

They also elected the current wonderful do nothing Congress that likes to shut down our government every once a while for ****s and giggles.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Oh that draft thing that you so grudgingly acknowledge. Growing up and for a decade watching the body count rise on TV every night knowing that in a year or two you were going to go.

About that draft and the Vietnam War. The same damn thing is happening to my generation except the veterans we're screwing over actually signed up to go to war and we have completely turned our back on them.

The suicide rate of Veterans is 22 people per day. We have completely failed the men and women who fought for our Country in a pointless and unwinnable war. The veterans that do make it home alive, they months if not year long waits to get into the VA system and get the care they need.

We spend billions on defense and peanuts on veterans. It's beyond ****ed up that we have homeless veterans. It makes me sick just to think of how we treat veterans.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I'm just going to sit and wait. 5 years from now millennials and those younger the US will outnumber the baby boomers generation, aka the *******s who ****ed up our economy and infrastructure, lost us thousands of lives in pointless wars that cost us billions of dollars, ruined the social safety net, rolled the clock back on women's rights, oppose universal health care at every turn and tried to impose their religious beliefs as laws all thanks to their choices in political candidates.

They also elected the current wonderful do nothing Congress that likes to shut down our government every once a while for ****s and giggles.
I entirely condemn the generation that raised the likes of you.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I entirely condemn the generation that raised the likes of you.
Given your age, it's your generation that raised me. So thanks for nothing.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Given your age, it's your generation that raised me. So thanks for nothing.
I don't get it. Our WWII era parents raised us as free-range kids ... and then way too many of us turned right around and raised coddled weak pu$$ies through attachment parenting and helicopter mommying. Now this is what we've got. The greatest to the worst in three generations.

Newsflash for you about this awful imperfect world you've inherited. The greatest generation inherited the great depression and World War II and they didn't whine and cast blame like little b****es.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
I don't get it. Our WWII era parents raised us as free-range kids ... and then way too many of us turned right around and raised coddled weak pu$$ies through attachment parenting and helicopter mommying. Now this is what we've got. The greatest to the worst in three generations.

Newsflash for you about this awful imperfect world you've inherited. The greatest generation inherited the great depression and World War II and they didn't whine and cast blame like little b****es.

Lets assume that the bolded part of your statement is 100% for a second if so then there would that be a direct correlation.

If you raised coddled weak pu$$ies then your parenting sucked to put it bluntly, and now you''re complaining about the generation you helpled create. That makes you a whiner by your own definition.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:

The "greatest generation" also had a government that actually did it's job instead of today's government that can't even agree on a budget to keep the government running.

Love how you completely skipped over the parts about how your generation is screwing over today's veterans.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Lets assume that the bolded part of your statement is 100% for a second if so then there would that be a direct correlation.

If you raised coddled weak pu$$ies then your parenting sucked to put it bluntly, and now you''re complaining about the generation you helpled create. That makes you a whiner by your own definition.
Either your comprehension is poor or you're being purposely obtuse. I didn't raise my kids like that so no I didn't help create the phenomenon of the pouty self-focused millenial. I said too many in my generation did. I'm being honest about how my generation went wrong with their parenting.

Whining is sniveling about your lot in life and Millenial self-pity is not my lot. I usually avoid it by logging out of FB when it gets too thick or the selfies come at me too fast. Occasionally though I enjoy debating some of the fragile little things. They get so butthurt so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies