Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 05:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some people in poverty do have air conditioning, cable TV and a car.

Duh, that is easy to do if you went from (lower) middle class to poverty. Many poor people own stuff they acquired earlier when they were not poor, in many cases including houses.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And "poverty" in America, where every state has multiple public assistance programs, is akin to living like royalty elsewhere.

Then why are there so many homeless bums?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then why are there so many homeless bums?
Because they're royalty of course!

My god, the incredible food you can get out of a dumpster is only DREAMED about in countries like France, or Spain!

Heck people on the right have posted here how our bottom 10% are doing better then the TOP 10% in Spain!

(This is sarcasm for those who missed it)

Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
It has be 15% since they started collecting statistics. And since then, they've excluded food stamps, medicare, free cell phones, subsidized rent, free college, free A/C, free rubbers, etc. Add all the frees, and there are no poor. Anyone who has ever seen a "poor" person (using and EBIT card) knows she's not poor by how fat she is. You don't get fat by being poor.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It has be 15% since they started collecting statistics. And since then, they've excluded food stamps, medicare, free cell phones, subsidized rent, free college, free A/C, free rubbers, etc. Add all the frees, and there are no poor. Anyone who has ever seen a "poor" person (using and EBIT card) knows she's not poor by how fat she is. You don't get fat by being poor.
Uh huh. you really have no idea do you?

Free college? Who gets that?

free AC?

And there are no poor? I don't suppose you've noticed any homeless folks.....where is their free house?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
And "poverty" in America, where every state has multiple public assistance programs, is akin to living like royalty elsewhere.
Living like royalty:

With Homeless Shelters Stretched Beyond Their Means, The Needy Resort To Building 'Tent Cities'

Quote:
Tent cities -- makeshift communities populated by the homeless in predominantly urban and suburban areas -- are growing in number, CNN Money reports. Many tent city residents say they've turned to that style of living because overcrowding at local shelters has left them no other options.
America's homeless: The rise of Tent City, USA - May. 16, 2014

Quote:
Another resident of the same camp, Mike, said the only work he has been able to find is part-time road maintenance, which takes place at night. Because the shelters in the area would have required him to be inside by a certain time, like 10 p.m., staying there wasn't an option. Setting up his own tent in the woods gave him the freedom to come and go as he pleased.
Maintenance man by night, Sheriff of Nottingham by day.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:50 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Uh huh. you really have no idea do you?

Free college? Who gets that?

free AC?

And there are no poor? I don't suppose you've noticed any homeless folks.....where is their free house?

Tent City America: Sacramento, Seattle, Olympia, Nashville, Reno, St. Petersburg, NYC, … where next?

Complete with nature's AC.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

Complete with nature's AC.
Ohhh....now I see where the free AC came from! Thanks!

Ohhhh! And the free education! The school of hard knocks! Knowing which dumpsters to dive in is a vital skill!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
BS. I worked with homeless women with children in Reno, it's sure funny how many of them were homeless with all those multiple public assistance programs helping them. The maximum cash grant in Nevada for a single parent with 2 kids is $383. The wait for housing assistance is 4-5 years. A weekly motel room in Reno furnished with cockroaches and a 20 year old TV set is around $150 a week, no kitchen so you prepare dinner in a microwave and wash your dishes in the bathtub. Shelter space is given one night at a time, first come first serve... Living like Royalty on the taxpayers dime huh? And by the way, single adults not eligible for cash assistance, they only qualify for food stamps and health care if they are lucky enough to live in a state with expanded medicaid. They sure are livin the good life, aren't they?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:24 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Not sure...depression? I busted my butt got a skill and ended up injured not long after with lingering side affects....I am type of person who busts his butt to get to somewhere then gets so devastated and destroyed from a failure that really wasn't my fault but only affected me and my wife and kids....I just can't bounce back from it...
You're poor by choice. 2 things...

1) Many jobs require little physical labor. No reason you can't work a job like that.

2) "Not bouncing back" from your injury is a selfish choice. That's why you, your wife, and your kids are poor. That's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies