Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 12:37 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,265,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Vouchers for public schools? That's a new one. Public schools are free, right? The idea of a voucher system is to subsidize private school tuition. Sweden school choice: The country’s disastrous experiment with Milton Friedman and vouchers.

Vouchers for medicare? OH yeah that's a grand idea. Take a look at your Hero Paul Ryan's plan:
"Chairman Ryan proposes to replace Medicare's guarantee of health coverage with a premium-support voucher and raise the age of eligibility for Medicare from 65 to 67. Together, these changes would shift substantial costs to Medicare beneficiaries and (with the simultaneous repeal of health reform) leave many 65- and 66-year-olds without any health coverage. In areas where Medicare incurs relatively high costs, the amount of the premium-support payment would equal the cost of a relatively inexpensive private plan, and beneficiaries would have to pay higher premiums to participate in traditional Medicare. In areas with relatively low Medicare spending, beneficiaries who wanted to enroll in a private plan would face higher premiums or fewer benefits, or might find that no private plan was available."

Medicare in Ryan

yep..Republicans sure are looking out for the American people

Slate????? if you going to get your information from a bias liberal magazine then you are clueless about School vouchers as an option for kids who are stuck in failing school districts especially in the inner cities and black communities. Slate magazine has a bias towards D.C. and NYC. Many of its writers demonstrate a cluelessness about the lives of people who do not live in those areas.

what is the Democrat plan for social security and Medicare? don't touch it, everything is great, just raise taxes and screw the younger generation?....yeah

Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Vouchers for public schools? That's a new one. Public schools are free, right? The idea of a voucher system is to subsidize private school tuition.
The idea is to allow those who can't afford private schools to have the choice of allowing their children to go to a better school, bet it one they aren't zoned for, one in another district or a private school.

What exactly is the problem with allowing parents to have a choice of schools?

Old 05-14-2015, 12:44 PM

594 posts, read 345,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because poverty rate is tied to someone else's income. Therefor someone will always be in poverty. It is one of the tools used by the class warfare crowd.
Except that the current poverty rate is at a fifty year high

Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The idea is to allow those who can't afford private schools to have the choice of allowing their children to go to a better school, bet it one they aren't zoned for, one in another district or a private school.

What exactly is the problem with allowing parents to have a choice of schools?
Because in most cases the voucher will not cover the full cost of private school tuition. In most voucher plans there are no provisions for transportation for kids attending a school outside of their neighborhood, and because private schools can pick and choose their students, they are under no obligation to accept a kid who has learning disabilities or has behavioral issues, those kids will be relegated to public schools which will be burdened by having an even larger percentage of 'tough to educate' kids

Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM

594 posts, read 345,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
An unbiased survey will ask the same question in different ways.

Pew Research concluded the U.S. to be a bipartisan nation of beneficiaries.

Percentage of people who responded that they benefitted from entitlement programs at some point in life by political party:

Republican 10%
Democrat 22%
Independent 17%
That's just 49% of the people, what about the other 50%?

Old 05-14-2015, 12:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
True enough....but why give up my SSI for a job I am miserable at? I would love to operate heavy machinery plus its a job I can do myself. Lease or buy a bulldozer and hire myself out.
You are clueless. You claim you have a bad back thus are on SSI. Dont you realize how hard operating heavy machinery is on the back? It throws you around in the seat like a rodeo bull. I spend 3 hours in a tractor and feel like I have been been on a roller coaster for a week, and I don't have a bad back.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
vouchers for public schools would help poor especially blacks.

Vouchers for medicare is actually a good idea......just like giving the option to the workers control their social security into private accounts so they can have a bigger return and more control than politicians in Washington just like they have a Chile.

why would any person vote for any of that, how silly of them......lets just keep letting politicians in Washington control everything and ignore the fact many programs are poorly managed and will go bankrupt in the future.

how silly of republicans giving the people other options.
I trend neutral on the topic of school vouchers. Seems to me that the concept reinforces perceptions that it's the school's fault. I recently re read Ben Carson's " Gifted Hands" first published in 1990. His mother had a third grade education and was illiterate. She was married at 13 to a man more than twice her age. Unbeknownst to her, the man had another wife and family so the sham marriage came apart.

They were on welfare and food stamps in Detroit as it was spiraling downwards. Mom worked part time jobs, here and there. Ben Carson attended inner city public schools. He and his brother were failing. Mom decided, so the story goes, to turn off the TV. Instead she insisted the boys read two library books a week and write book reports, she could not read. Voila. grades improved. And the boys discovered reading was fun.

More academic troubles during high school when the riff raff of the streets and his own temper and tendency towards violence

beckoned. Ben Carson eventually made the decision to stick with school and derived more pleasure from hard work and being a good student than being another hood rat, going nowhere, fast.

One uneducated and savvy mama had the common sense to turn off the TV and demand more of her children.
One good decision to abandon the street in favor of academics.

The school did not matter. A voucher would not have made a difference if mama and son had made different choices.

There's another thread about the 7 immigrant kids who were recently selected by multiple Ivy League schools. All but 2 attended public schools and not highly selective Magnets. All had perfect or near perfect SAT scores. Some came from single parent households and lived in relative poverty. Most were not Asian. They all had incredible resumes above and beyond school. One kid helped his mother clean offices at night.

The school did not matter. A voucher would not have made a difference if these kids had made different choices.

Vouchers for Medicare implies the federal government will force private insurers to insure the elderly, the way the Swiss do. Had insurers been willing to insure the healthcare risks of the elderly, there likely would not have been Medicare. Same deal with flood insurance/ FEMA.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Slate????? if you going to get your information from a bias liberal magazine then you are clueless about School vouchers as an option for kids who are stuck in failing school districts especially in the inner cities and black communities. Slate magazine has a bias towards D.C. and NYC. Many of its writers demonstrate a cluelessness about the lives of people who do not live in those areas.

what is the Democrat plan for social security and Medicare? don't touch it, everything is great, just raise taxes and screw the younger generation?....yeah
I notice that you are not attacking the article, just the source, that sort of figures. Why should Democrats have a plan for medicare, it's not going broke, and it would be easy to extend solvency just by taking out the provision out of Part D that prohibits competition on drug prices (brought to you by Geo. Bush)

Medicare Is Not

Negotiating for Lower Drug Costs in Medicare Part D

Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
you don't have a problem with the government taking money from you to pay for a bloated defense budget, or for subsidies to huge agra corporations, or oil subsidies? No problem with any of that, right? But you have an issue with paying taxes so that people don't have to sleep on the sidewalk? That is truly amazing...
I have a problem with all of that wasteful spending. It's truly amazing that you don't.

Peoples money should be left to support their families and kids. They contribute to charities and the church if the have the desire.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a problem with all of that wasteful spending. It's truly amazing that you don't.

Peoples money should be left to support their families and kids. They contribute to charities and the church if the have the desire.
When did I say that? People's money will never be left to support their families and kids, paying taxes is part of living in a complex society; name just one that functions without taxation. And the problem with leaving charity up to churches is that once they get the money they can pick and choose who they help, or for that matter, if they are going to use your money to help anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies