Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 03:19 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Who wouldn't vote themselves more of someone else's money when they don't want to support themselves and their dependents?

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship.” - Alexander Fraser Tyler in The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic

More, on Rome's fall due to its increasingly burdensome welfare state:
The Fall of Rome and Modern Parallels : Foundation for Economic Education
The Rise and Fall of Civilizations | Gold Eagle
Quote:
Causes of Decline

The immediate cause of Rome's fall was nomadic invasion. Similar to previous civilizations, Rome had faced nomadic assaults successfully for centuries prior to her fall. Early on, the Cimbri, a Germanic tribe, abandoned Jutland and migrated south, annihilating two large Roman armies before their elimination by Gaius Marius in 103 BC. Julius Caesar stopped a similar migration of Helvetians in 58 BC. Germans annihilated three Roman legions in the Teutoberg Forest in 9 AD, causing Augustus, in his grief, to place the Empire thenceforth on a defensive footing.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In this country, if you are in poverty, that IS your fault!

Where do we start? We got free education to high school, loads and loads and loads of ways to go to college for free, tons and tons of capitals ready to invest in your great idea/invention and a laundry list of welfare programs.

U.S. Welfare Programs - Federal Safety Net

So how is that NOT your fault when you are still in poverty?
It’s the Economy, Stupid
Quote:
Today, Carville’s phrase is more applicable than ever. As the United States still faces enormous deficits, a $16 trillion dollar debt, sluggish improvements in unemployment, and some of the slowest economic growth in recent memory, the aftermath of the Great Recession is and should be the centerpiece of this election.
I wouldn't ask that question one to many times as doing so just may tempt fate. Use to (years back) when I saw a panhandler on the side of the road, I would think to myself, "get a job, I have one".

Life jumped up and bit me in the buttocks and I haven't had a descent job since.

Just saying ...

Old 05-14-2015, 04:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It’s the Economy, Stupid
I wouldn't ask that question one to many times as doing so just may tempt fate. Use to (years back) when I saw a panhandler on the side of the road, I would think to myself, "get a job, I have one".

Life jumped up and bit me in the buttocks and I haven't had a descent job since.

Just saying ...
And whose fault is that?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
And whose fault is that?
karma it's a bch .

Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Under poverty!??

OMG! That's worse than being in poverty!!!!!!

Yikes,,,

Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok, let's try this. 100% of 1040 filers will be required to pay 10% of their income in federal income tax. A worker earning $20,000 a year will owe $2,000.
I don't have a problem with that.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:19 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
"The greatest nation on Earth" yet nearly 15% of Americans live under poverty... how come?
Yes, there is poverty everywhere but it's a shame most 1st world countries have lower percentage of poverty than us! Keep giving out billions of foreign aid and spend the money on war yet let people live under ***** in our own nation!

Unless you are living in a shack with no running water or utilities, you are NOT living in poverty. If you had food in the last 12 hour, you are NOT living in poverty.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 AM

622 posts, read 527,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I see NO un-biased data to back up your claims, So I think what you THINK is far from the truth.
I'm afraid to say that the OP is correct. According to the Washington Post the US is ranked in 34th place out of the 35 countries surveyed worldwide: Map: How 35 countries compare on child poverty (the U.S. is ranked 34th) - The Washington Post

Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
It will never change. We literally import poverty by the millions from points near (south of the border) and far (refugee resettlement).

We cannot have it both ways.

Either you want the US to be a place where people can start at the bottom and work their way up (more people can come this way)... OR:

You close the borders and focus on improving the lives of people here, and only allow skilled workers and educated people to come to the United States.

I fear too many people, however, think we CAN absorb unlimited impoverished people and all of a sudden they should be working white collar jobs making 20$+/hour?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
I'm afraid to say that the OP is correct. According to the Washington Post the US is ranked in 34th place out of the 35 countries surveyed worldwide: Map: How 35 countries compare on child poverty (the U.S. is ranked 34th) - The Washington Post

LOL

Guess who is having kids? Poor people and immigrants.

And the stats are likely messed up where kids "in poverty" are in such a place because there aren't two people in the household. Single parents = not as much income and resources.

And don't we all know those people who HAVE kids, maybe even live together, but officially, are not married and don't combine resources on paper so as to have access to government assistance? I have a family member like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies