Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

[quote=kell490;39649796]Your always going to have people who don't want to move up that are either lazy or are happy with living on 15k a year. I know someone who is like that he is happy he lives in a bad area of town the home is paid for. He has some junk cars and likes to go camping and do things that don't cost that much. He is happy with his life he never made much more then 15$ an hour in his working life last 20 years when he was working he made $9 an hour. He is a Vietnam Veteran Marine so he uses the VA for health care. Some others I know just seem to be lazy I know someone else who scammed disability claimed they could not learn anything gets $500 a month. She had a kid and did the same thing for her kid also on Welfare for the kid. She told me it was a scam her mother taught her how to do that her brother also on it. They don't work sometimes a part time job but she hates working. Lots of Opportunity in America if you want to move up.[/QUOTE

$500 a month for disability? Really, what disability program? SSI is the only one that I know of that she would be eligible for the grant is $733- not $500. Sorry, I don't buy it, sounds like made up stuff to me. As far as the Vietnam vet, sounds like he works, his use of VA Health care is not a scam as long as he is eligible to use it so what's your beef with that?

There plenty of lazy rich people too; this country is full of trust fund babies, you know the cool kids who never worked a day in their life but pay for their $3,500 a month studio apartment in San Francisco with their trust fund check. There are middle class people who don't try to promote because they like the job they are doing, Is not being 'ambitious' only a sin when you are poor?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The economy has grown. Wages are stagnant for some and they get left behind because they have not improved or expanded their job skills to keep up with the changing times and technology. Much like a buggy whip maker wouldn't command a high salary in today's society. Thats on those who choose to remain stagnant.
that is simply NOT TRUE, wages have not increased significantly for anyone except CEO's and upper management

"But after adjusting for inflation, today’s average hourly wage has just about the same purchasing power as it did in 1979, following a long slide in the 1980s and early 1990s and bumpy, inconsistent growth since then. In fact, in real terms the average wage peaked more than 40 years ago: The $4.03-an-hour rate recorded in January 1973 has the same purchasing power as $22.41 would today".

For most workers, real wages have barely budged for decades | Pew Research Center

Old 05-17-2015, 11:01 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe you should look at some other data before you base your entire argument on one poll

"The survey also finds that most Democrats (60%) and Republicans (52%) say they have benefited from a major entitlement program at some point in their lives. So have nearly equal shares of self-identifying conservatives (57%), liberals (53%) and moderates (53%)."

A Bipartisan Nation of Beneficiaries | Pew Research Center
Social Security and Medicare aren't means-tested welfare programs. They're insurance programs for which working people have paid premiums for decades.

The fact remains that 2/3 of the means-tested welfare program recipients are Democrats. Only 1/3 are Republicans. Democrats are significantly less self-supporting and more inclined to be society's takers than are Republicans, and Republicans contribute much more to fund our government and welfare programs then do Democrats.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:02 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
The economy has grown. Wages are stagnant for some and they get left behind because they have not improved or expanded their job skills to keep up with the changing times and technology. Much like a buggy whip maker wouldn't command a high salary in today's society. Thats on those who choose to remain stagnant.
I'm irreplaceable (as Zig Ziglar describes in this video) in the job that I have, therefore I fall into the category of not promotable in my job. However, I like my job.

There are some people that make up this society who are ill advised and they haven't any real knowledge, because they have built up their walls to not allow for anything else to enter, because to come to any other realization, it scares them. Those folks most often are poor in heart.

I'd rather be, rich in heart, and poor in material monetary gain, because from my path I can see the reality of those who will do more harm than good for people in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7sDw5pMlI
"You Can Have Everything In Life You Want If You Will Just Help Enough Other People Get What They Want."

Old 05-17-2015, 11:16 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
$500 a month for disability? Really, what disability program? SSI is the only one that I know of that she would be eligible for the grant is $733- not $500. Sorry, I don't buy it, sounds like made up stuff to me. As far as the Vietnam vet, sounds like he works, his use of VA Health care is not a scam as long as he is eligible to use it so what's your beef with that?
Did I say he was scamming anyone NO I said he was happy with his life being in the poverty level. Why don't you read what I said before you jump in and reply? I was giving 2 examples of people who are living below the poverty level because they want to be there not because it is someone else's fault? If people want to live in the upper levels of wealth they have opportunity to do that in US. There will always be some who don't mind being poor.

I said she claimed she had a Learning disability and gets $500 a month. She was the ex wife of a friend I used to go over there she said it was a scam she gets SSI. She got it when she was a teen her mother told all of her kids to get bad grades to get on SSI. The school did all the testing and they are able to scam SSI. I did a quick google search on the scam found a lot on it. Her ex husband told me she is just lazy hates working. She prefers to sleep in all day and watch movies at night get on the internet.

Applying for Social Security Disability Based on a Learning Disability | Disability Secrets

Old 05-17-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Social Security and Medicare aren't means-tested welfare programs. They're insurance programs for which working people have paid premiums for decades.

The fact remains that 2/3 of the means-tested welfare program recipients are Democrats. Only 1/3 are Republicans. Democrats are significantly less self-supporting and more inclined to be society's takers than are Republicans, and Republicans contribute much more to fund our government and welfare programs then do Democrats.
Let's get real, if people voted in their self interest no one receiving means tested aid would vote for or support Republicans

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

Old 05-17-2015, 11:20 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
that is simply NOT TRUE, wages have not increased significantly for anyone except CEO's and upper management
Nope.

8 Steps You Can Take Starting Today to Dramatically Increase Your Income

If those of you complaining about stagnant wages would instead put that effort into improving your personal and professional lives, your income would increase too. Passive-aggressive whining won't get you anywhere.

Most, not all. Why sit back and let life happen to you? Be proactive and make progress in your own life. Duh.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:30 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Nope.

If those of you complaining about stagnant wages would instead put that effort into improving your personal and professional lives, your income would increase too. Passive-aggressive whining won't get you anywhere.

Most, not all. Why sit back and let life happen to you? Be proactive and make progress in your own life. Duh.
Many years ago, during my prime, I'd put in job applications at these companies. And then for some odd reason, a couple of years later I'd find myself driving down the same street that the company that didn't hire me was located.

I'd see, grass grown up around it, building deserted and I'd think, sure am proud I didn't get hired by them as it would be no time that I find myself in the same spot again as they couldn't handle the market and were closed up and out of business.

Business owners need to be more proactive, as well. PA whining won't get them any where and certainly won't get them into level playing field where they can actually do any good for anyone else.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Nope.

You are claiming that millions of teachers, firefighters, postal carriers, factory workers, haven't gotten wage increases because they didn't "try hard enough"? It must be wonderful to be you, I'm sure you are a multi-millionaire and own a dozen businesses and grew up selling flower seeds door to door but worked your way through Harvard, just like the 20 or 30 other CD posters who constantly spew this nonsense.
So DUH back at ya

Old 05-17-2015, 11:37 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
You are claiming that millions of teachers, firefighters, postal carriers, factory workers, haven't gotten wage increases because they didn't "try hard enough"? It must be wonderful to be you, I'm sure you are a multi-millionaire and own a dozen businesses and grew up selling flower seeds door to door but worked your way through Harvard, just like the 20 or 30 other CD posters who constantly spew this nonsense.
So DUH back at ya
I work in the IT field and my sector never went above 4.5% unemployment now it's booming again. I get calls from people wanting me to work for them from linkedin, and as well as many of my co-workers do. My employer is having a tough time keeping people as they find better pay somewhere else It's all about opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies