Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
And stop claiming that a recreational drug is a "medicine". It is a "medicine" in the same regard as Granny's whiskey was on the Beverley hillbillies.
I don't recall ol pappy's cough medicine help with

autoimmune diseases
HIV/AIDS
multiple sclerosis (MS), which causes gradual loss of muscle control
Alzheimer’s disease, which causes loss of brain function, affecting memory, thinking, and behavior
inflammation
pain
seizures
substance use disorders
mental disorders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm all for legalization and have been for some time.

The problem with legalization over the decades has been that the public face of marijuana use hasn't been some lawyer toking in his basement on a weekend or the guy with a successful plumbing business smoking with some friends.

It's been Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont high....or Cheech & Chong....or in general the guys that do it all the time.

Is it fair? Nope but the media portrays guys that drink all the time "drunken bums" in the same manner.

You have tons of things in the media of people being responsible with liquor, but anytime pot is in play....it's the pot-heads, not the casual users that were portrayed.

Just my 2 cents.
Bingo...the problem is image and perception.

And of course, we both know that marijuana use goes far beyond the Jeff Spicolis of the world. In fact, Spicoli is the minority within the marijuana user community.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm all for legalization and have been for some time.

The problem with legalization over the decades has been that the public face of marijuana use hasn't been some lawyer toking in his basement on a weekend or the guy with a successful plumbing business smoking with some friends.

It's been Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont high....or Cheech & Chong....or in general the guys that do it all the time.

Is it fair? Nope but the media portrays guys that drink all the time "drunken bums" in the same manner.

You have tons of things in the media of people being responsible with liquor, but anytime pot is in play....it's the pot-heads, not the casual users that were portrayed.

Just my 2 cents.

That's a fair assessment. Which only reinforces the stereotypes that those who partake are just low life, degenerate, lazy "stoners!" Though there are those who smoke every day that don't fit those stereotypes either.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:20 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
One of the main reasons conservatives are against legalizing marijuana is because it's a gateway drug, even though it been well disproven, since there are many more arrests over marijuana than over harder drugs, like heroin and concaine.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since there's a thread alleging many on the left are "enamoured" with smoking marijuana, I have to ask why so many on the right are apparently so smitten with 1936's Reefer Madness , have such fear of a silly little weed, and despite their claims of being for less government control/spending are perfectly willing to support law after law about the weed and spend who knows how many taxpayer $$$ trying to control it?

Instead of trying to characterize anyone who disagrees with you as being silly, fearful or hateful, why don`t you put on your big boy pants and address the real reasons why marijuana is illegal?

It makes the not-so-bright much happier about being not-so-bright.

Of course I don`t care what you do as long as you don`t force others to subsidize your drug habit.

Anyone who uses marijuana legally should have to pay more for auto insurance and health insurance since they will be far more likely to do damage to others and themselves.

They should not be allowed to care for children and they should be required to pass a driving test before renewing their operator`s permit and an IQ test before voting.

They should also be bonded.

"Sometimes i'll be sittin here and think "maan, that's some ****ty weed, din't even get me high", and then i'll realize that i'm not high because i forgot to smoke tha bowl i just packed."

stupid **** stoners do - Real Life Stories

Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Fear?

How do you feel about legalizing cocaine?

Cocaine and cannabis= apples and oranges. Cocaine is highly addictive, has a potential for overdose, and death from overdose. Cannabis does not! My neighbor explained the feeling of being high on cocaine as such, "it makes you feel 10 feet tall and bullet proof!" In short, when he dabbled in it back in the day, he and a few buddies walked into a biker bar, and wanted fight everyone in the place. I after having smoked a little weed have never felt like that, nor has anyone else that I know after smoking! Nope! Mostly mellow, maybe a bit of the munchies, and the enhancement of music, along with maybe a little laughter....especially when watching a good stand up comedian! And alcohol makes you take a lot more risks than one would normally do! Trust me, I worked as DJ in many of the bars and nightclubs in northeast Ohio, and I've seen first hand the belligerence that comes from excessive alcohol use! They don't call it "beer muscles" for nothing! Not gonna lie, I drink, but I can control myself, and there are some who really should not drink due to their lack of self-control. Nevertheless, I would not seek to ban it, because of the idiots in the world who can't handle themselves.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Instead of trying to characterize anyone who disagrees with you as being silly, fearful or hateful, why don`t you put on your big boy pants and address the real reasons why marijuana is illegal?

It makes the not-so-bright much happier about being not-so-bright.

Of course I don`t care what you do as long as you don`t force others to subsidize your drug habit.

Anyone who uses marijuana legally should have to pay more for auto insurance and health insurance since they will be far more likely to do damage to others and themselves.

They should not be allowed to care for children and they should be required to pass a driving test before renewing their operator`s permit and an IQ test before voting.

They should also be bonded.

"Sometimes i'll be sittin here and think "maan, that's some ****ty weed, din't even get me high", and then i'll realize that i'm not high because i forgot to smoke tha bowl i just packed."

stupid **** stoners do - Real Life Stories
Another Nanny Stater posing as a small government conservative.

I swear, you guys are rampant. There's a gazillion of you folks.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I don't recall ol pappy's cough medicine help with

autoimmune diseases
HIV/AIDS
multiple sclerosis (MS), which causes gradual loss of muscle control
Alzheimer’s disease, which causes loss of brain function, affecting memory, thinking, and behavior
inflammation
pain
seizures
substance use disorders
mental disorders

Hilarious-

There is not ONE randomized, double blinded, prospective study with adequate statistics that shows a MEDICAL BENEFIT to pot- not one.

The "studies" showing "medical benefit" are junk science.

How do I know? I actually do lectures on the subject (along with other medical/spine/pain subjects).

Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 AM

463 posts, read 320,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hilarious-

There is not ONE randomized, double blinded, prospective study with adequate statistics that shows a MEDICAL BENEFIT to pot- not one.

The "studies" showing "medical benefit" are junk science.

How do I know? I actually do lectures on the subject (along with other medical/spine/pain subjects).
Really? Sounds like you have some stake in the game then. Like pharmaceutical company perks maybe?

I don't care that you do lectures on the subject for whatever your motivation.

The fact is you are just simply incorrect. There are millions of beneficiaries out there to prove it, in addition to studies that have been going on in other countries for years now, because in other countries it hasn't been illegal to research it.

Besides I know firsthand. I myself am one of the beneficiaries I mentioned. So I guess now I should stop because all this time I thought it was helping it actually wasn't?

There are also quite a number of families with small children that have moved to Colorado just so they could get the cannabis oil so needed to prevent seizures in their sick child. They would have something to say to you at your lectures, I would think.

Last edited by Vistaian; 05-13-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 11:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Are you obsessed with marijuana or do you advocate people who are morbidly obeset, don't exercise, drink too much, smoke cigarettes, drive too fast and crash, et al should also be prepared to support themselves completely?
People SHOULD bear the financial cost of their lifestyle choices.

As for this thread - millions of conservatives support legalization, or at least decriminalization of marijuana. Lots of different reasons behind those beliefs including:

libertarian perspective on drugs in general
massive cost of law enforcement and judicial system associated with marijuana
Impact to foreign policy of fueling crime in organized crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies