Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
In the 40s and 50s, smokers knew that they could smoke at their destinations, be it a movie theatre or office. No need to smoke outside. Today, smokers have to catch a smoke wherever possible because it's banned just about everywhere.

Doorways are where a smoker can escape the elements; wind or rain, or protection from snow. It's not rocket science, guy.

I remember taking my daughter to see a movie, I think it was 'Home Alone' (80s?). That was the first movie where I realized that in all those kiddie films, all the bad guys smoked cigarettes. I've had kids see me smoking outside and look at me as if I'm some criminal ready to kill or kidnap them, that's how far this propaganda has infiltrated the psyches of people.

If you were a kid during that period of time then you have been indoctrinated with that mind-set, just as someone my age (64) grew up watching all those great films and television shows where everyone smoked (yeah, the good guys).
That is actually a policy by some production companies and directors that only the villains can smoke.

Like Marvel refuses to have anyone but its worst villains smoke as an official policy.

"Smokefree Movies" which is run by longtime anti-smoking activist Stanton Glantz (and funded with tax dollars) lobbies studios to limit smoking to only antagonists or show someone who smokes dying of a smoking related disease.

I remember Zack Snyder saying that when he was doing Watchmen the producer made him cut the scenes were Malin Akerman's character smokes because she is a good guy in the movie; while he had no problems with Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character smoking because he is an anti-hero at best and a villain at worst (he is shown killing surrendering Viet Cong with a flamethrower, attempting to rape a woman, assassinating JFK, and so on).

Old 05-16-2015, 06:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm of the opinion that cravings never completely cease. I've been quit for a year and a half now and I could start back up in an instant. If I smell a cigarette, or breathe in some of the smoke, my mouth waters it tastes so good....

I talked to an 80 year old woman who had been quit for 50 years ans she said she still craves a smoke now and then.....

I still get cravings now and again but they're a lot more manageable. It's not a problem not to smoke for me anymore.

As far as discouraging other people from even trying? They may as well know what they're in for. You can't look at it in the long term, you got to take it one day at a time. Imagining one day without a smoke is a lot easier than imagining one year, but eventually, that one day will turn in to one year.
Mine have. But interestingly after 24 years I still have the odd moment when a cigarette would be nice. It's not a craving though. Smoking was the way I relaxed. It made me stop what I was doing and take a break. I still miss that. It's funny how people view things. When I smoked no one thought twice about me going out to have a cigarette but after I quit I was criticized for wasting company time because I would go walk a lap around the building when I was having cravings. It's ok to take a break to smoke but not just to take a break. Sometimes I still wish I had permission to take a break.

For me, I found that cravings came back every time I encountered a situation for the first time. Cigarettes were my go to for dealing with stress. Fortunately, for me that meant that they stopped for most normal situations and I just had to deal with them now and again. Well until I got pregnant. That was a 9 month first time. I craved cigarettes all through my pregnancy (never had one) and for about 3 months after dd#1 was born. I did not crave them when I was pregnant with her sister.

I will give this advice to smokers who want to quit. You have to deal with each experience separately. It's not just quitting. You will have to overcome each situation that causes you to crave a cigarette separately. You get over the craving a cigarette with your coffee...then the cigarette you have while driving to work....the one at mid morning break... and so on. 10 years later you can experience a situation for the first time and guess what you'll have to deal with? The craving to have a cigarette.

I did find that I had 90% of my cravings under control by the 1 year mark. It's been 24 years now and it's been 8 years since I had a craving I had to learn to fight. That was when I lost my engineering career. Major life changes throw you for a loop.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-16-2015 at 07:08 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
I don't care where smokers smoke, as long as it's not in my house or my car--and that's easily taken care off.

You have to laugh when you drive by a building where interior smoking isn't allowed--they're out there standing in all kinds of bad weather puffing away!

I also do not believe that a smoker can't quit. If they say they can't quit, that's just an excuse to avoid going through a little withdrawal. They also don't REALLY want to quit.

I've been there (12-31-79). My whole family has, including my now-deceased parents. Seems like one of us four quitting helped the others--after both my sister and I had quit, my parents followed suit a few years later without a word from either of us. I smoked for only 10 years--and my parents had been smoking since high school--and yet they quit in their 70s.

If they don't want to quit, that's fine--but don't make excuses about not being able to. It's always possible. They now have all sorts of new crutches--but we found diet sodas, mints and chewing gum adequate.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Sure, other odors exist in the world and doesn't mean they are all pleasant, but are not all toxic. I don't care if smokers smoke elsewhere that does not affect me and if I happen to pass one when walking, as you say, I just hold my breath and cover my face. I avoid places where smokers may be commonplace. I dislike the stale, harsh odor, but the smoke itself can cause difficulties as I would begin wheezing.

I like to at least be in control of having decent air in my own home, which one should be able to have, with windows being for ventilation. And yes, smokers are contributing to a lessening of air quality with laws or restrictions having been created, that would not exist if it had not increasingly become a problem. I have heard smokers say they don't want to "stink up their own homes" and will typically, see smokers holding cigarettes out of a car window.

It appears to be more hostile judging, demonizing and defensive remarks toward the Non-smoker here, when a non-smoker anywhere is just wanting the capability of maintaining and breathing fresh, clean air - having to always avoid those who smoke.

Don't allow smokers into your home. Carry oxygen.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Smoking is stupid. You are inhaling smoke. Nothing good can come of it. I lose respect for anyone that smokes.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:21 AM

622 posts, read 527,224 times
Quote:
Did you ever consider it may just be a placebo? That you're not actually smelling it, but that you think you can smell it because you've convinced yourself it's still there?
There's nothing wrong with my sense of smell and it's ludicrous to suggest that there could be.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:22 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
smokers DO have special rights. The rules do NOT apply to them, haven't you heard?
Oh? And what "Rights" do smokers have?

The right to be excessively taxed
The right to be told you cant smoke anywhere?
The right to be denied employment?
The right to be demonized by society?

Oh yeah...we are a priveledged bunch...

Old 05-16-2015, 10:59 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
My co-workers that smoke get an extra hour break a day due to the multiple smoke breaks they get a day over those that don't. I can see why they don't get hired.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
The reading comprehension issue belongs to you, for I have never said that respiratory conditions like asthma can't be exacerbated by cigarette smoke. Go on and show me where I said it?
You didn't BUT you marginalized it for your talking point of it being related to your fictional ASDS. You zeroed in with your bias rather than reading the entire post.

Quote:
The point that I took issue with was them saying that smokers, OUTSIDE of the building, IN their cars, DRIVING down the driveway was effecting the air quality INSIDE their apartment.
Smoke escapes and can move out of your car and into my air vent. It expands out especially in close quarters. No idea how close the vent is to the driveway.

Quote:
By no stretch of the imagination would I, or any other reasonable person believe that, hence my diagnosis of neurosis, paranoia, and delusion.

Did you bother to click on the link provided and peruse it's material? It rings very true of the type of people we see in discussion forums like these. They pretty much tick all the boxes.
Just because it is on the internet don't make it true though. I know we believe everything on it but a lot of it ends up being easily refuted. As I said the extremists, sure but remember not all of us are. Some honestly can't breathe around smokers yet it is futile. As I've said before until we have the bubble suits that filter out bad smells, people need to learn they aren't the center of the universe and their rights exist up until another's begin. For instance, you can ghetto blast as loud as you want to but when I say turn it down because I can't hear, you may have to concede.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
That is actually a policy by some production companies and directors that only the villains can smoke.

Like Marvel refuses to have anyone but its worst villains smoke as an official policy.

"Smokefree Movies" which is run by longtime anti-smoking activist Stanton Glantz (and funded with tax dollars) lobbies studios to limit smoking to only antagonists or show someone who smokes dying of a smoking related disease.

I remember Zack Snyder saying that when he was doing Watchmen the producer made him cut the scenes were Malin Akerman's character smokes because she is a good guy in the movie; while he had no problems with Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character smoking because he is an anti-hero at best and a villain at worst (he is shown killing surrendering Viet Cong with a flamethrower, attempting to rape a woman, assassinating JFK, and so on).
Marvel is one by Disney and that is a Disney edict. They will allow smoking in most period pieces (Saving Mr. Banks had it off screen with Tom Hank's Walt Disney putting out a cigarette as did Alice in Wonerland with the caterpillar) but they add an anti-smoking ad to DVD releases which I don't mind. My question is unless it is important to the story is there any reason to puff on cigarettes or cigars just to do it? A Marvel villain for instance isn't exactly defined by it (unless you are talking about tough guy Logan at the bar.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies