Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 11:39 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,078 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with smokers, but I do wish that they would have the elementary knowledge that in order to smoke a cigarette a flame source is required. This usually means a lighter. I am constantly being approached by smokers who have the cigs but need a light. I always tell them that I don't smoke and don't have a lighter. They appear puzzled.

Last edited by O.C. Ogilvy; 05-16-2015 at 12:02 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What exactly are the reasons why some of your folks hate smokers?

You can say that you don't like the smell of it leaves on people. There are PLENTY of smells in this world that people choose to apply to themselves, are you telling me that you like all of them?!

If people smoke outside, what exactly is the problem? if you are standing next to someone and they are smoking, take three steps upwind or cover your mouth and nose if you are "that" sensitive. Problem solved.

I am a non-smoker, and just like other non-smokers, I am super sensitive about cigarette smell, but so what? This world belongs to smokers too. If they choose to smoke marijuana or cigarette outside a restaurant, it is their choice. If I don't like it, I can choose to stay home.

Judging others and demonizing smokers is getting so old.

By the way, Our world is chock full of carcinogens and if you think the occasional smoker you walk past on the street is somehow going to dynamically shift your health for the worse, you're crazy.
Sure, other odors exist in the world and doesn't mean they are all pleasant, but are not all toxic. I don't care if smokers smoke elsewhere that does not affect me and if I happen to pass one when walking, as you say, I just hold my breath and cover my face. I avoid places where smokers may be commonplace. I dislike the stale, harsh odor, but the smoke itself can cause difficulties as I would begin wheezing.

I like to at least be in control of having decent air in my own home, which one should be able to have, with windows being for ventilation. And yes, smokers are contributing to a lessening of air quality with laws or restrictions having been created, that would not exist if it had not increasingly become a problem. I have heard smokers say they don't want to "stink up their own homes" and will typically, see smokers holding cigarettes out of a car window.

It appears to be more hostile judging, demonizing and defensive remarks toward the Non-smoker here, when a non-smoker anywhere is just wanting the capability of maintaining and breathing fresh, clean air - having to always avoid those who smoke.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:08 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Sure, other odors exist in the world and doesn't mean they are all pleasant, but are not all toxic.
Do you ever burn candles or incense in your home? If so, then you are exposing yourself to far more carcinogeons and toxins than any smoker outside of your home is exposing you to. Some recent studies suggest that the toxins in candles could be as deadly if not worse than Second Hand Smoke.
Quote:
I like to at least be in control of having decent air in my own home, which one should be able to have, with windows being for ventilation.
Well welcome to apartment complex living, or city living. If you wanted to be in complete control of the air you breath, you should have got a house somewhere in the countryside, away from everyone. I don't like it when my neighbors cook pungeant foods, but those are the breaks.
Quote:
It appears to be more hostile judging, demonizing and defensive remarks toward the Non-smoker here, when a non-smoker anywhere is just wanting the capability of maintaining and breathing fresh, clean air - having to always avoid those who smoke.
Well #1, I don't care if there aren't any smokers for 100 miles, you still aren't breathing "fresh, clean air", but you act as if smoking is the only thing that pollutes the air for some reason.

#2, There's a big difference between a "non-smoker" and an "anti-smoker"..... The harsh comments are directed toward hostile anti-smokers. An anti-smoker would be someone who might take exception to just SEEING someone smoking outside, or in their car going down the driveway, and thinking that it's actually having an effect on the air in their home.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:09 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Actually no, I see a lot of whites buy cigarettes too.
I have typically observed Caucasians predominantly being smokers (maybe due to my region) no matter what nationality, but why is that even being brought up...?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Sure, other odors exist in the world and doesn't mean they are all pleasant, but are not all toxic. I don't care if smokers smoke elsewhere that does not affect me and if I happen to pass one when walking, as you say, I just hold my breath and cover my face. I avoid places where smokers may be commonplace. I dislike the stale, harsh odor, but the smoke itself can cause difficulties as I would begin wheezing.

I like to at least be in control of having decent air in my own home, which one should be able to have, with windows being for ventilation. And yes, smokers are contributing to a lessening of air quality with laws or restrictions having been created, that would not exist if it had not increasingly become a problem. I have heard smokers say they don't want to "stink up their own homes" and will typically, see smokers holding cigarettes out of a car window.

You see someone coming down the driveway in a machine with a combustable engine that burns fuel and spews carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, particulate matter, hydrocarbons, sulphur dioxide, and many more chemicals in to the air behind it, but yet it's the cigarette in the operators hand that sends you over the top? The cigarette is what's causing your breathing problems? If he'd put that cigarette out, the air would be, and I quote, "fresh and clean"....???

Pffff......

Are you starting to see something amiss here?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:47 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Of course, but we can't avoid that if we have to go to work or go shopping. Smokers can avoid cigarettes. They just can't or won't.
You can't avoid driving? Of course you can. Only drive to go to and from work, and only if you can't walk, bike or use public transit.

As for shopping, order in or through the internet. Yes, that involves a delivery driver, but fewer miles are driven because there is no going to the store (except after numerous deliveries), only delivering from the store.

Yes, indeed! We should ban all unnecessary recreational driving!

Quote:
Today's cigarettes have many more chemicals included in the mix and yes, they do stink worse than they did 30-40 years ago.
Gitanes and Gauloises smell good. Are the anti-smokers willing to make an exception for them? Or how about vapes? I notice that even the odorless ones are being banned both indoors and out. Never mind that they emit water vapor, not smoke.

The excuse for banning them is that they "normalize" smoking. There is no end to the rationalizations health nazis will employ to meddle in other people's lives. They are modern day Puritans, against all forms of pleasure that they do not approve of.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Did you ever consider it may just be a placebo? That you're not actually smelling it, but that you think you can smell it because you've convinced yourself it's still there?

Oh, no, that couldn't possibly be it, could it?
As I said, "The Princess and the Pea."

I guess a lot of people don't know that story, so I'll paraphrase:

A prince wanted to find a princess to marry. The world was full of princesses, but none of them seemed suitable. Then one day, a storm came up, and a princess knocked on the prince's door. He welcomed her to his castle and put her in a guest bed chamber. The next morning, the princess complained that she had felt something under the mattress and had been unable to sleep. It turned out that there was a pea under the mattress. Instead of doing what one would normally do -- remove the pea -- the prince added several more mattresses. The next morning, the princess still complained. So even more mattresses were added. And, yet again, the princess complained. It was at that point that the prince fell in love with her, because, to his way of thinking, only a princess that sensitive could be a true princess!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why is it that you seem to be hyper-vigilant when it comes to cigarette smoke, but seem to pay no mind to the thousands of other, potentially MORE dangerous environmental toxins that your children are exposed to on a daily basis?
Exactly. Me and the other kids in the neighborhood grew up in a veritable cloud of cigarette smoke because most adults smoked at the time. But all of those kids -- whether or not they became smokers themselves -- are doing fine. The only ones who haven't have succumbed to alcohol, drugs or auto accidents.

If you want your kids to grow up healthy, you shouldn't protect them from every little toxin. Their immunity can't develop without exposure to pathogens.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Wow, what a revelation.. I'll run right out and get one. (Not to mention, in homes, neighbors can be smokers, having smoke drift in through windows, onto patios, stinking up the environment).
Oh, the horror!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Rather than being a considerate smoker, I think you are proving the OP's case for him.
I was responding to the rudeness of a stranger who deserved what he got.

Quote:
Tobacco and Smoke Odor Removal | Water Damage Restoration, Mold Removal, Fire and Smoke Repair

"The end result of long term smoking in enclosed areas is much the same as that of an actual fire. Unfortunately, one difference is that the smoke from a fire is sometimes much easier to remove from walls or other surfaces than tobacco smoke. Removing tobacco residues can be a real challenge. It is very time consuming, as residues are present throughout the entire home, business, or other affected area."
So just replace the drywall and some studs if necessary.

The things people complain about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies